Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-24-2011, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
2011 335d JBD

Just got my JBD, left it at stock settings, went to install, left keys inside house, let ECU fall asleep, installed the JBD, got a reduce power engine light...

There is NO service light engine, just a reduce power in the center of dash....

Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Have you tried cutting the car off and back on again to see if limp mode comes back? Did you purchase the burger can tool also to see if there is a hidden code? I've gotten limp mode before, but not right after installs.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 335d M-Sport LCI
Check if you have the latest chip. Did the light come on immediately when you turned on the car or after you floored it?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:45 PM

How would I tell if I have the lastest chip? amd yes I have the BT tool..... the reduce power comes on right away, just after I start it
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I have only read about the SES light coming on with that and everyone says you can just ignore it. Curious what does the reduce power light look like?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
Had the exact same thing happen to me. I unplugged the JBD module, put wiring back to stock, cleared the codes with the CAN TOOL. Reinstalled JBD, but took setting to about 60%.
Seems to work, no problems or codes for the last 4 months. Did finally move setting on JBD to about 75%--still good!!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Over on E90 Post, they are thinking about reprogramming to no fault at 80%. Not sure why they just didn't eliminate the code in the first place. This will likely be the third version of the chip. They should offer free software (chip) upgrades, just pay shipping.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:05 PM

When I read about the chip replacement, it was like a dozen bucks and I thought that included shipping?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
check the connections

I have had the same message before and it turned out I had not solidly plugged in the connectors. First time I removed JBD for service and got the warning. I emailed Terry and he helped me figure it out. Just recently I got the message with JBD installed. I decided to remove it and in doing so noticed that one of the plugs seemed to pull apart too easily. Still cleared the codes each time.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimulus View Post
I have had the same message before and it turned out I had not solidly plugged in the connectors. First time I removed JBD for service and got the warning. I emailed Terry and he helped me figure it out. Just recently I got the message with JBD installed. I decided to remove it and in doing so noticed that one of the plugs seemed to pull apart too easily. Still cleared the codes each time.
I had this happen too. It's worth looking into just to make sure.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM

Ive tried everything, unpluged JBD back to stock, clear codes, back to JBD even tried to install with dial at min... Still reduce power

all plugs snaps into the fittings and still no go

Last edited by Zykorn; 11-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zykorn View Post
Ive tried everything, unpluged JBD back to stock, clear codes, back to JBD even tried to install with dial at min... Still reduce power

all plugs snaps into the fittings and still no go

sounds like a defective unit to me. if you bought it new, contact terry and get it exchanged. if not, see if he will let you try another one and perhaps he will work something out with you for an exhange.

Last edited by cssnms; 11-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM

That sucks hope u can resolve this issue pronto!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 AM

Wondering if Zykorn got his issue resolved. My JBD is set to 100%. About a week after install I was getting on it and went into limp mode. I pulled over, restarted, and the message went a way. Since then all has been normal. I have been dogging it pretty hard. It may have set a code, but I haven't used the Can Tool yet to check. 2009 X5d.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Have you seen the code again after the turn on/off reset? I wonder if the computer is learning and will adapt to the 100%. I personally noticed that on 100%, it only triggers a code if you floor it...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
Have you seen the code again after the turn on/off reset? I wonder if the computer is learning and will adapt to the 100%. I personally noticed that on 100%, it only triggers a code if you floor it...
But when it was triggered did your car go into limp mode or did you just get an SES light on the dash?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
But when it was triggered did your car go into limp mode or did you just get an SES light on the dash?
On my X5d, JBD has been on 100% from day one. Pedal was on the floor when I got the warning light saying "reduced power mode... possible to continue" or similar. It stayed on and the vehicle was definitely in limp mode. I just pulled over, restarted and away I went. No lights or warnings since. Since then I have really driven it hard with the pedal to the floor many times. Maybe this weekend I'll get the Can Tool out and learn how to use it. I'm curious to see what types of codes are there, if any.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetec View Post
On my X5d, JBD has been on 100% from day one. Pedal was on the floor when I got the warning light saying "reduced power mode... possible to continue" or similar. It stayed on and the vehicle was definitely in limp mode. I just pulled over, restarted and away I went. No lights or warnings since. Since then I have really driven it hard with the pedal to the floor many times. Maybe this weekend I'll get the Can Tool out and learn how to use it. I'm curious to see what types of codes are there, if any.
The reason I asked is I have been following threads on these since day one and it always sounded like the risk was an SES light would be thrown but the vehicles would drive no differently. I think I even saw a post by Terry that said that.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The reason I asked is I have been following threads on these since day one and it always sounded like the risk was an SES light would be thrown but the vehicles would drive no differently. I think I even saw a post by Terry that said that.
Not only SES lights, but limp mode/reduced power. Personally I've seen both, more often limp mode though. I switched it back up to 100% several months ago to see if the computer will actually adapt. Car has gone into limp mode approx 4 times in that time (cleared stored codes each time). I am in the longest strecht right now about month and no limp mode. We shall see...
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
When it happens, my car goes into limp mode/reduced power mode 99% of the time which includes an SES light. Limp mode is triggered by a low fuel rail pressure signal, which makes sense since this is the MO of the JBD.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
When it happens, my car goes into limp mode/reduced power mode 99% of the time which includes an SES light. Limp mode is triggered by a low fuel rail pressure signal, which makes sense since this is the MO of the JBD.
Well that is a pisser then because I was led to believe that is not what happens at all when at 100%. Then even more of a pisser that seems the Renntech ECU programming might very well have the same issue.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Well that is a pisser then because I was led to believe that is not what happens at all when at 100%. Then even more of a pisser that seems the Renntech ECU programming might very well have the same issue.
While true, the JBD can be dialed back to somewhere between the out-of-the-box setting of 60% and 100% without consequence (no limp mode or SES light). I was running it at about 80% which seemed to be the threshold of not throwing the car into limp mode. It's worth noting the hp difference between 80% and 100% is negligable (8hp +/-). I put my car on a dyno at 80% and it was putting out 294hp at the wheels! Every car is different though, some can run at 100% without a problem, while others can't go past 75%, but the default setting of 60% will not trigger any faults in 99% of the cars. Even at the 60% setting the added power is inspiring.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-12-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 AM

I realize that but if you get a dial that turns to 11 then you want to keep it turned to that or at least that is me. So when I read multiple statements that you just get a light but the car runs fine, I got into my head that is something I can live with. What I also find a little baffling is the one local person I had known who had one of these said he never ran into any problems. I know he turned it up to 100% at the end of the last school year but guessing his kid no longer goes to me kids school because not seen him this school year at all. But as you said and we all know, every car is different.

I'd like to see more examples of the Renntech though since the one guy on here said his car did the samething on the dyno before he even got the tune. Although really what I'd like to see is the Dinan released and some reviews by owners since if I do something then that would probably be the route I'd take due to relationships with the dealer here and Dinan.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I realize that but if you get a dial that turns to 11 then you want to keep it turned to that or at least that is me. So when I read multiple statements that you just get a light but the car runs fine, I got into my head that is something I can live with. What I also find a little baffling is the one local person I had known who had one of these said he never ran into any problems. I know he turned it up to 100% at the end of the last school year but guessing his kid no longer goes to me kids school because not seen him this school year at all. But as you said and we all know, every car is different.

I'd like to see more examples of the Renntech though since the one guy on here said his car did the samething on the dyno before he even got the tune. Although really what I'd like to see is the Dinan released and some reviews by owners since if I do something then that would probably be the route I'd take due to relationships with the dealer here and Dinan.
There has been some discussion that Burger may address this issue with the JBD by limiting how far the dial can be turned up. In other words the new 10 might be the old 8 or 7, that way you can feel better about turning it up to 100%.

Based on my e-mail to Dinan yesterday there is no new news to report - seems to be a slow process or perhaps they are just less focused on the diesel at the moment.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Based on my e-mail to Dinan yesterday there is no new news to report - seems to be a slow process or perhaps they are just less focused on the diesel at the moment.
Luckily I have lots of time to wait right now anyway. Although it coming out sooner than later would be nice since means better chance of seeing more real world reviews before I'd be at the point to make a decision on it.