Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Z4 auto leveling headlights

Hi All,
New to the form, did a search and did not find any previous questions…

How can I tell if my car has auto leveling headlights? Is there a way to decode the VIN?

The Story;
Recently purchased a 2008 Z4 from a BMW Dealer for my wife with remaining factory warranty. About a month ago, the interior lights started to come on and off while driving and also had dash warning lights go on and off for no reason. The dealer found fault and replaced the ignition switch. A week later the passenger side window suddenly when down and then back up while driving at highway speed. Did this several time before staying up. This is a current intermittent problem and the dealer could not duplicate. A few days later I noticed that the headlights seemed very low. Checked and noticed the headlights did not go through their “eyebrow” movement when the key is turned on. The dealer adjusted the headlights and told my wife that the car does not have auto leveling headlights. I took the car to the dealer last week myself with the continuing window issue. I question the service manager about the auto leveling and told him how I would watch the “eyebrow” act on the garage wall every time I started the car and now do not do it anymore. So either I had a crazy dream (possible) and the car doesn’t have auto leveling headlights or I need to know how to identify that the car has this option so I can prove that they are not working to the service manager. They did order a new door window motor that should be in this week, so we will be back at the dealer again.

Any thoughts or ideas will be most appreciated

Thanks,
Rick
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
If you have Xenons, they are self-leveling. What you "think" you saw is exactly how they behave. Your dealer sounds as brilliant as mine. Waitasec.. Chapman??!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 PM

thanks for the reply. Car has Xenon lights. Good guess on the selling/service dealer! This is our second Z4, traded with 126,000 miles and always went to North Scottsdale. think it's time to change dealers.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Swing down to step 13, that's the self leveling mechanism.. if its broken, it will not self level. I dont remember but I think its on passenger front and driver rear ? forgot.. i know i saw it on my z
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15397
Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
Does your car have the BMW battery or is it an aftermarket one?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by r768 View Post
Hi All,
New to the form, did a search and did not find any previous questions…

How can I tell if my car has auto leveling headlights? Is there a way to decode the VIN?

The Story;
Recently purchased a 2008 Z4 from a BMW Dealer for my wife with remaining factory warranty. About a month ago, the interior lights started to come on and off while driving and also had dash warning lights go on and off for no reason. The dealer found fault and replaced the ignition switch. A week later the passenger side window suddenly when down and then back up while driving at highway speed. Did this several time before staying up. This is a current intermittent problem and the dealer could not duplicate. A few days later I noticed that the headlights seemed very low. Checked and noticed the headlights did not go through their “eyebrow” movement when the key is turned on. The dealer adjusted the headlights and told my wife that the car does not have auto leveling headlights. I took the car to the dealer last week myself with the continuing window issue. I question the service manager about the auto leveling and told him how I would watch the “eyebrow” act on the garage wall every time I started the car and now do not do it anymore. So either I had a crazy dream (possible) and the car doesn’t have auto leveling headlights or I need to know how to identify that the car has this option so I can prove that they are not working to the service manager. They did order a new door window motor that should be in this week, so we will be back at the dealer again.

Any thoughts or ideas will be most appreciated

Thanks,
Rick
http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsR...iagram=31_0757
Old 11-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. The car still has the factory battery. I will check for the sensors next time I get the wife to stop for more than a minute.

Rick