Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 AM

Mein Auto: MY2011 F10 520D
iDrive rebooting endlessly

Here is a post I was not expecting to make...

I'm on my 4th 5 series since the E39 model. Right now I'm enjoying an MY2011 F10 520D. The torque on this car is amazing!

However, on the weekend the iDrive system starting crashing. While driving the system would literally stop - satnav, music, bluetooth, blank screen and then every few minutes it would automatically attempt to reboot itself and subsequently crash again. All while driving. Very annoying and hardly safe!

I have to wait another week and a half before the dealer will take the car and attempt repairs. This is the first time I've experienced any major problem in the 10 years I have driven the 5 series.

While I am waiting, I wondered if anyone else has had this happen and if so, what fixed it?

Cheers
S.
Ads by Google
Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Not that I have any own experience. But with a regular computer showing such symptoms, the first thing I would start replacing would be the RAM modules. The CCC (iDrive) is a computer too...

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
I had that exact problem. Unfortunately the fix is to replace the entire CiC unit. It is a whole unit swap and it takes around 6 hours to reload the software onto the new unit. They made a good job of replacing mine, however the radio reception has been terrible ever since. Waiting to hear what the next step is, but I expect they will have to replace the CiC unit yet again.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
I had that exact problem. Unfortunately the fix is to replace the entire CiC unit. It is a whole unit swap and it takes around 6 hours to reload the software onto the new unit. They made a good job of replacing mine, however the radio reception has been terrible ever since. Waiting to hear what the next step is, but I expect they will have to replace the CiC unit yet again.
They probably forgot to connect the antenna when they closed it up.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Unfortunately not! It's already been back to have that checked.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: MY2011 F10 520D
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
I'm sorry to hear you had this problem too. Thanks for letting me know about the radio reception. I'll look out for that once the replacement is done. I am also a bit worried that the work they do next week will have an impact on something else and this will become a regular occurrence.

Apart from the radio reception problem, has the new unit worked properly?

Thanks.
S.