Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 128I
New Owner Questions

Should be picking up a 2011, CPO 128I this week equipped with sport package . Two questions.

1. It has the Summer Performance tyres. We usually only have about two weeks of icey, snowy weather here in Charlotte each winter so not worth getting a spare set of wheels with snow tyres so I was wondering, how bad is this car with summer performance sport package tyres on snow/ice?

2. It comes with the 639 cellphone package. What do I need from dealer (Special Code) to paie up my iphone with the car?

Thanks All
Ads by Google
Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128
1. Summer RFTs are horrible in ice/slush. But you can get by if the city/county manages the roads well in bad weather. It'll depend on where you have to drive/how on-the-ball they are clearing the roads in Charlotte. Rural roads that tend to be under managed in bad winter weather---forget about it.

Last edited by strongarm73; 11-28-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
2. It comes with the 639 cellphone package. What do I need from dealer (Special Code) to paie up my iphone with the car?

Thanks All
I don't think you need any special code....simply enter in a default code such as "0000" or "1234" and make sure you put that exact code in your iphone when prompted.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Should be picking up a 2011, CPO 128I this week equipped with sport package . Two questions.

1. It has the Summer Performance tyres. We usually only have about two weeks of icey, snowy weather here in Charlotte each winter so not worth getting a spare set of wheels with snow tyres so I was wondering, how bad is this car with summer performance sport package tyres on snow/ice?
For tempatures below 45 degrees you want either a winter tire or a performance winter tire depending on the weather conditions for your area.

The rubber compound in summer tires becomes very hard below 45 degrees.

Copy & Paste from BMWs online 2011 128 manual.

"BMW recommends winter tires for winter roads
or at temperatures below +45 degrees.Although all-season M+S tires provide better
winter traction than summer tires, they generally
fail to provide the same levels of coldweather
performance as winter tires."

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ae0QTO4wWXnsE=

In your mild winters a good set of dedicated performance winter tires would probably be the best choice.

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 or the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D are two that come to mind. Either set would be a good choice for your area.

http://www.consumersearch.com/snow-t...e-winter-tires

Tire rack is a good source for tires and wheels. Example 17" tires for a build date before 09/10.

You can do a build for you car.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterT...=W&search=true

Last edited by Norm37; 11-28-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
how bad is this car with summer performance sport package tyres on snow/ice?
Leave it at home or change the tires.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 AM

Mein Auto: 640i F12, Cooper S, Smart
Quote:
Should be picking up a 2011, CPO 128I this week equipped with sport package.
I was wondering, how bad is this car with summer performance sport package tyres on snow/ice?
Thanks All
Very, very bad. Don't even try it.
If same in the US as here, your insurance will turn to you and demand you to pay for the damage.

2012 BMW 640i F12
2010 Smart Fortwo Passion - to be replaced by a proper car winter 2012
2005 Mini Cooper S - love it!
X: BMW Z3 2.8, DeTomaso Pantera, Porsche 928s, BMW 732i, BMW 323i, BMW 2002
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 AM

Thanks, guess I'll be switching tyres real soon
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
I would suggest leaving the car at home on days where snow/slush lies on the streets- your car will be more of a sled than anything else. I don't plan to change tires this year (it never snows in Chapel Hill, right? ) so if it snows, my X3 is staying parked. It's better than running into something or someone else.

NC DOT is reasonably good at clearing main roadways but no idea where you live.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I live pretty close to you outside Columbia, SC. I haven't driven my 2009 128i vert (w/sport) on snow or ice with the performance tires. I only drive it about 7,000 miles a year and just take the SUV on the rare bad weather days. The differences between tires seems to depend on the specific tires being tested but here is a link to one article where the summer tires are particularly bad:

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

I plan to buy Continental DWS ultra performance all seasons for replacement soon (spring). They will be measurably worse than snow tires in snow/ice but I can drive maybe 5 mph slower to compensate. They also seem to give most of the cornering capability of the summer tire according to the tire rack test results. Seems like a good compromise for those of us with very mild winters. Two sets of tires would be better but seem like overkill to me. My car is not my limitation in bad weather around here - it is other drivers.

Jim
Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
In short the answer is "it depends". Summer tires are not recommended of course, becuase BMW, like every other manufacturer, is trying to cover thier a@@. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but if you have some experience driving on snow/ice, you have an understanding on the physics of snow/ice driving, your county/municipality is good about road care and you live in a flat area, you should be OK. I drove for years and years on RWD cars with summer tires and never had an issue. Two weeks is almost nothing. All that being said, purchasing winter tires is a safer decision.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 640i F12, Cooper S, Smart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
I live pretty close to you outside Columbia, SC. I haven't driven my 2009 128i vert (w/sport) on snow or ice with the performance tires. I only drive it about 7,000 miles a year and just take the SUV on the rare bad weather days. The differences between tires seems to depend on the specific tires being tested but here is a link to one article where the summer tires are particularly bad:

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

I plan to buy Continental DWS ultra performance all seasons for replacement soon (spring). They will be measurably worse than snow tires in snow/ice but I can drive maybe 5 mph slower to compensate. They also seem to give most of the cornering capability of the summer tire according to the tire rack test results. Seems like a good compromise for those of us with very mild winters. Two sets of tires would be better but seem like overkill to me. My car is not my limitation in bad weather around here - it is other drivers.
Jim
Under your climate conditions it might work with all season tires those rare days during winter. However I would be concerned about not getting the best out of the cars fine tuned handling and curve qualities with second class tires (compared to summer tires).

The test you linked to was done with a Honda Civic (FWD!), a good little car but totally without that extra that made you buy a BMW.

Changing wheels twice a year is done in minutes. Or leave the car at home those difficult days.

Just my point of view for what it's worth

2012 BMW 640i F12
2010 Smart Fortwo Passion - to be replaced by a proper car winter 2012
2005 Mini Cooper S - love it!
X: BMW Z3 2.8, DeTomaso Pantera, Porsche 928s, BMW 732i, BMW 323i, BMW 2002
Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I might get winter tires if I lived in Oslo. I've never been to Norway but I've been to Sweden but never in the winter. I have co-workers who live there and I hear stories. Lack of experience driving in these conditions should not be your reason for wanting winter tires. That makes me have more respect for your decision. I often see the same comment and wonder if it is somebody wanting to try and make up for their lack of ability to control oversteer wanting it to go away due to better tires. I do not see that as a good path to take. You need to learn to control your car during under and oversteer and if you still think you need snow tires, then by all means get them.

I drove for several decades in the portion of the U. S. that gets significant snow and I almost never used snow tires. Most of my vehicles were rear wheel drive. Traffic in the areas I've been moves so slow under these conditions I wouldn't have had much chance to use the extra capability the snow tires would provide. But they are safer and give you more margin so I think they are a good choice.

I chose that test because the difference between summer and snow tires was largest. I think it was tire rack that had a test in a 328i where the difference was smaller. I think it was the tires, I doubt it was the difference between front and rear wheel drive. I do not believe front versus rear makes much difference, the weight over the driving wheels - which tends to be greater for front - makes a difference. With equivalent weight distribution I think rear is fairly clearly better because the wheels that steer are not the same as the wheels that drive. At the limit, that can be dangerous. I almost went over a steep hillside due to my front wheel drive manual transmission car sliding from engine braking so much I could not steer. I had to put it in neutral and drag the back end with the handbrake. Anyway, the link is the test I've seen with the largest benefit for snow tires. There are tests which show less difference - but always the same order. Snow tires are best in snow, summer performance tires worst. All season in-between.

It is also significant to consider perforamnce in wet and dry conditions too. For me that is more frequent. Snow tires are not necessarily best wet and never dry even in the winter.

Jim
Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
It is also significant to consider perforamnce in wet and dry conditions too. For me that is more frequent. Snow tires are not necessarily best wet and never dry even in the winter.

Jim
True

My son and I where willing to give up a little snow and ice performance for a gain in wet and dry performance.

That is why we went with performance winter tires vs winter tires.

My sons 135i convertable and Mustang have the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3.

My Rav4 has the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

Last edited by Norm37; 11-30-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Welcome to the 128i club!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Summer tires aren't just bad in snow and slush, but also in colder temps (below 45 degrees). So, when it's 40 and raining, you will have markedly decreased performance, increased stopping distance, poor turning.

Since having full winters in an area which may see several February days in the mid 60's, winters may not be ideal either, so you may want to consider going with a really good high performance all season tire, and play it 'safe' for the winter months. I've been down in the Chapel Hill area in the winter and have seen a day of 25 degrees followed by a day of 70 degrees. An all season would be perfect for that.

As with any tire, take care when driving in the colder, wetter conditions.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks all for the advice. Still working with dealer on deal but he's offered to put all seasons on it however,,,,,,, a friend of mine at work who has a m3 reminded me that I'd be giving up some of the handling that is the reason i want a BMW. Also I'm a ol fart and have six weeks of vacation so guess I'll leave the performance tyres on and just stay home when we have that rare bad winter weather.