Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 02-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
N00b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
You really need to relax before you blow a gasket. It's just entertainment.
Blow a gasket... What the hell would you know about F1? You're from god damn New Jersey!

Years back, we had some heated and spirited Formula 1 season spoiler threads here - you wouldn't know anything about that. That has ended, and now there is just fluff posted by people that cannot even spell the driver's or teams names correctly.

That said, I look forward to another season of fail for your "Reds". SF sold out to a Spanish bank, lost most of its British engineering talent, and is now run by a bunch of dazed and confused I-talians. Crash and burn, El Banco.

By the way, motorsports is serious business up here in Finland. Apologies if I come off as a bit rash.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Blow a gasket... What the hell would you know about F1? You're from god damn New Jersey!
Bite Me.

edit: oh, and by the way... Gasket Blown.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"

Last edited by jonathan2263; 02-13-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227...eeds-less-gas-

This is pretty interesting. If RBR is indeed starting 15-18 liters lighter than the McLaren's and Ferrari's , it could be a big factor in why they were always able to open up a big gap in the first few laps. And also why things seemed to even out towards the end of races.

Meanwhile, no testing this week... bummer.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65,03 cobra
Quote:
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227...eeds-less-gas-

This is pretty interesting. If RBR is indeed starting 15-18 liters lighter than the McLaren's and Ferrari's , it could be a big factor in why they were always able to open up a big gap in the first few laps. And also why things seemed to even out towards the end of races.

Meanwhile, no testing this week... bummer.
They could have also been using less fuel during qualifying we know how good they did there.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by white75li View Post
They could have also been using less fuel during qualifying we know how good they did there.
Don't think so. Everyone qualifies on low fuel, and after Hamilton running out of fuel on the way back to the pit in Montreal in 2010, they "clarified" the rule so that every car needs to be drained of 1 quart for testing after their run.

Oh, wait, now I get it. Their more fuel efficient engine allows them to run with a bit less fuel and still have enough left for the test. Duh, brain fade...

I guess that could be right. The difference in quali probably isn't that great, but sometimes Vettel was pulling it out by a few hundredths. Half a liter less could have been it. But still, if they're all finishing quali with one quart left in the tank, and if they calculate correctly, they do, then I wonder how much lighter they are for one or two laps. It can't be much, but it could be just enough.

Remember in 2010 when Christian Horner was complaining about the Renault's lack of horsepower? I'm sure if he tries that again, he'll get a collective STFU from the pit lane.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:30 PM

I was at that race watching Hamilton push his car back to the pits was very funny. That was also a great race weekend. I guess your right with the amount of fuel a car needs for two Laps it really wouldn't make much of a deference. But hey what do I know I'm from New York lmao .
Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
I was at that race watching Hamilton push his car back to the pits was very funny. That was also a great race weekend. I guess your right with the amount of fuel a car needs for two Laps it really wouldn't make much of a deference. But hey what do I know I'm from New York lmao .
Yeah, them intertubes stop working at Nova Scotia.
I've been going to the Canadian GP for most of the last decade. Ham pushing his car was pretty funny, but then again, he did put it on pole.
This year was certainly the best. We waited out the rain under some trees near the support paddock, and we're rewarded with an epic race. Looking at how wet the track was for a while, I truly believed the race wouldn't be restarted.
Then 2013... Canada and then a home GP. I can hardly wait. After party at my home, all are invited.

I was thinking more about the fuel difference in quali. It can't be much because they're all pretty low, but it might be interesting to compare everyone's first and second sector on their last flying lap. It would be very telling if the difference was consistently there.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Wasn't able to get up there last GP but have plans for this year then we do get Jersey. McLaren have been very quiet since testing hope its not a bad quiet. Both Hamilton and Button said the car was good wonder if they have something new planned for the next test.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
For Ferrari fans...

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...ullrod-design/

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM

2011 cars used blown diffusers which burned extra fuel in the exhaust system mainly to aid braking.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
2011 cars used blown diffusers which burned extra fuel in the exhaust system mainly to aid braking.
I thought the " off throttle blown diffuser" was to improve downforce in off throttle turns. We sat right at the hairpin in Canada, very close to the track, and could actually hear when the cars were revving mid corner. The Mercedes ( not McLaren) made a very distinct burping noise when it was off throttle.

There's speculation that the vent in the redbull nose step is actually a way to duct air back to the diffuser and replicate some of the downforce lost from the banning of exhaust blown diffusers. Did Newey just outsmart everyone again, or would that still be in violation of the rule? Time will tell. We'll know for sure if Ferrari shows up at Barcelona with a vent in their nose step.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Interesting thought though. I guess what your saying is, even though the Renault engine is the least thirsty, they would need more fuel on board to feed the off throttle revving. I guess that could be enough to even out the weight of fuel. Hmmm...

Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 PM

Stirling Moss on Vettle....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97570

Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
While I'm coming around to believing in Vettle, he drove pretty much error free in 2011 as apposed to 2010, there is no doubt that he had the best car by a wide margin. I think for Moss' statement to hold any true weight, you would have to put Vettle, Button and Alonso in the same car and let them battle it out. Only then would we be able to make definitive statements about who is the best of the current drivers.
I also don't believe there's any point in comparing drivers that never drove against each other. Just no way to make a fair comparison.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
While I'm coming around to believing in Vettle, he drove pretty much error free in 2011 as apposed to 2010, there is no doubt that he had the best car by a wide margin. I think for Moss' statement to hold any true weight, you would have to put Vettle, Button and Alonso in the same car and let them battle it out. Only then would we be able to make definitive statements about who is the best of the current drivers.
I also don't believe there's any point in comparing drivers that never drove against each other. Just no way to make a fair comparison.
I agree though Vettel had an amazing and pretty error free year it's hard to compare him to anyone except webber. I still think Hamilton and Alonso are the best drivers Alonso edging him out.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
I agree though Vettel had an amazing and pretty error free year it's hard to compare him to anyone except webber. I still think Hamilton and Alonso are the best drivers Alonso edging him out.
I can't figure whether I would rate Hamilton or Button higher. Hamilton certainly has the raw speed, but at times he seems panicky and it causes him to make foolish mistakes. Button may not be naturally as quick, but I think he's clearly smarter in his approach to races and often, that's what is needed.

As for Alonso, I think the fact that he almost took the title off Vettel in an inferior car, and then this year almost took third in a car that was never really better than 5th best, shows his talent. I think , put the top 3 or 4 drivers in the same cars and Alonso comes out on top 8 out of 10 times.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 PM

In my personal opinion Hamilton is fast occasionly, but he's also immature and that will not change in one or two seasons. That's why Button beat him easily last year.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Hamilton beat Button in 2010 I'm no Hamilton fan boy but anyone that can tie in points with Alonso is a pretty great driver. Button had his best year last year even when he won the WDC he didn't drive as well as he did last season. Button's best year beat Hamiltons worsed it's not saying much.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Hamilton beat Button in 2010 I'm no Hamilton fan boy but anyone that can tie in points with Alonso is a pretty great driver. Button had his best year last year even when he won the WDC he didn't drive as well as he did last season. Button's best year beat Hamiltons worsed it's not saying much.
That is really reaching for a comparison.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

I just saw this video. It seems the "W Duct" is the latest trick feature. No moving parts, and not exhaust blown, so it cheats the rule. The way this works is very cool. Adding downforce in turns while at the same time stalling the wing on the straights... I think that Airflow Management is just the coolest area of research in F1 today.

Enjoy. It's about 10 minutes long.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM

That's a great video very interesting and it's nice to see visually how it all works thanks for sharing.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 PM

Clever in design but it may not be practical considering regular cross winds and the various air currents when behind or alongside another car such as in a fight or even just trailing in a turn.

Time will tell.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Clever in design but it may not be practical considering regular cross winds and the various air currents when behind or alongside another car such as in a fight or even just trailing in a turn.

Time will tell.
I think an F1 car is fast enough, that as long as you're running in clean air, the apparent wind would always be from the front. Yaw angles probably only come into play when turning. And if you're in dirty air behind another car it would probably just work like a " traditional" wing.
As you say, time will tell. But I'm fascinated...

Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Ferrari

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97633

Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I think an F1 car is fast enough, that as long as you're running in clean air, the apparent wind would always be from the front. Yaw angles probably only come into play when turning. And if you're in dirty air behind another car it would probably just work like a " traditional" wing.
I disagree especially if the Ferrari is darting left and right trying to get around the car ahead. The air currents into the nose would be changing at high frequency from left to right wing side and jerking the Ferrari L and R as it was trying to pass.