Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Lmao. Are you completely out to lunch? Again? Still? Right, you are from New Jersey...

Why would Perez want to drive a slower car than what he already has? And for a team (SF) that is totally upside down?

Massa will be replaced by Trulli.

Good grief son, even El Banco said that today's result doesn't change the fact that their car is a turd. This was a fluke win. Hell, even Williams is faster.

They (SF) already have hit the panic button. A completely new car will be ready by Bahrain. Meh.

Go Reds... Lol. And bite me twat.

Personal attacks because my team actually won a race... yeah, sometimes I miss high school too...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
No matter what, that was an exciting race! I love that there's no clear dominant force this year. (yet?)
Yeah, it's exciting. I was surprised that Lewis didn't look dejected, but I think he understood that it was a crazy race and not reflective of the true order of things currently. If it's dry in China, I would look for Kimi to pull off the upset. His car looks pretty good, he seems to be getting his touch back, and all he needs is a bit of luck to fall his way. Here's hoping...

But only two races in and so far, it's been great.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

This from www.planetf1.com

Driven Alonso makes his point
As much as anything else, this was a victory for Fernando Alonso's response to his winter of adversity: dignified, resolute, determined. And calm. No tantrums, no accusations, just the repeated insistence that he still believed in his team, still believed in their ability to right a ghastly, malfunctioning wrong. Stay calm he did. And stay calm he duly did when the opportunity for the most unexpected of victories suddenly loomed out of the Malaysian GP gloom.

Keep calm and just carry on. He's done it before and he'll do it again.

That the Spaniard required a slice of luck along the way is not in argument. Above all else, he needed the rain to cloak the deficiencies of the F2012 and there's no doubt that even Alonso would have been left high in the dry. But opportunism is a skill in its own underestimated right and it required a drive of sustained excellence, transcending the wretched F2012, to turn opportunity into full disguise of Ferrari's opprobrium. There is only one good thing about the new Ferrari and it's the Spaniard who has to sit in its ****-pit.

The great pity will be if Alonso's victory is remembered for the victory that wasn't and the naivety of Sauber's ambiguous - but definitely misjudged - radio message to Sergio Perez shortly before the young Mexican fell off the track in gut-wrenching fashion. For what can't go overlooked is that at the critical stage of the race, when Alonso maximised Ferrari's fortune at the first round of ********s to build a ten-second lead over McLaren and what proved to be just enough of an advantage to withstand Perez's charge, he was consistently three to five seconds quicker than Felipe Massa lap after sustained lap. Three to five. Massa is not a great, but it takes a great to make him look this ordinary.

"I don't think it changes anything," Alonso, still preaching the virtue of patience, said afterwards. "We are still in a position we don't want to be in."

Yet it's a victory that changes everything and nothing; nothing because the F2012 will still be binned in May and Alonso will still be to required to dig deep for every last ounce of his brilliance to make it pay points before then, and everything because it is on days like this that Alonso's special type of true brilliance is made plain.

In a field of excellence, Lewis Hamilton may still be the quickest, Jenson Button may still be the foremost forerunner and Sebastian Vettel may still be the supreme winner, but it's Alonso who still reigns supreme as the expert driver.

edit: on a side note, it's kind of funny what words or phrases the forum chooses to auto-censor.

Last edited by jonathan2263; 03-26-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post

Personal attacks because my team actually won a race... yeah, sometimes I miss high school too...
Wait... Based on your posts here and your lackluster grasp of English grammar, I thought that you were still in high school. Or?

Personal attack? No.

Your team? Too funny.

Santander got lucky in a wet race, nothing else. Don't get carried away n00b.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Wait... Based on your posts here and your lackluster grasp of English grammar, I thought that you were still in high school. Or?

Personal attack? No.

Your team? Too funny.

Santander got lucky in a wet race, nothing else. Don't get carried away n00b.
I am aware that Ferrari got lucky with several aspects of the race, but at the same time, Alonso drove flawlessly, and the team made all the right calls from the pitwall for what seemed the first time in years.

Personal attacks? You've attacked where I live for no apparent reason, (by the way, how many GP's are in Finland?) and you've slung your hate at me personally; go back through your previous posts aimed at me to see. Or just read your most recent post.

As far as Noob... My father took me to my first GP at Watkins Glen in 1977. I was 14 years old. Were you even alive then? James Hunt won, Niki Lauda finished 4th, claimed the world championship, and I became a Ferrari fan for life.
After that race, I wasn't able to go to another GP for a long time, but followed the sport avidly. Back then, the only sources were the occasional Road And Track article, and The New York Times. As we all know, since the advent of the Internet, following F1 has become much easier. I read five or six F1 specific websites a day. ( and no, none of them are Ferrari specific)

I've been to every Canadien GP since 2001, went to a couple of the USGP's at Indie, and once had the good fortune to attend The British GP. So tell me Patrick, how exactly am I a noob.

I'm not sorry that we don't share the same opinions, if everyone thought exactly the same thing, the world would be a boring place. What makes it interesting is when people of differing opinions can discuss them in a civil manner. It's too bad that isn't happening in this thread. You recently complained that this thread used to have good discussions about F1. I'm sorry I missed that. You seem to know a lot about the sport but all I've seen from you is hate.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65,03 cobra
Amen Jonathan, according to Patrick if you live in the US you know nothing about f1. So I guess us NY and NJ guys will have to wait a few years for the New Jersey Gp then we can finally be experts. I mean the closer you are to a GP the more you know right?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by white75li View Post
Amen Jonathan, according to Patrick if you live in the US you know nothing about f1. So I guess us NY and NJ guys will have to wait a few years for the New Jersey Gp then we can finally be experts. I mean the closer you are to a GP the more you know right?
Apparently.

Meanwhile, I would warn you against messing with proud Jersey guys... Our governor knows people who will punch you in the face for money.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/03/2...od-suspension/

An interesting article on what's wrong with Ferrari's front suspension. One of the points they made was that due to the positioning of the dampers, it takes more time to make setup changes in the garage. I have noticed that in the practice sessions at Australia and Malaysia, Ferrari always seemed to get not quite as many laps as the other front runners. I wonder if this has something to do with it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the "B-Spec" version of the chassis. Seems they need to move the exhaust ports, and I would guess they'll incorporate a DRS / F-duct device, but will they drop the pullrod front, or will it be a case of sticking with The Devil You Know ? Either way, it sure looks like they violated the KISS Principle in a major way.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM

According to scarbsf1 there is nothing wrong with the front pull-rod suspension the geometry is just as good as pushrod. Also Ferrari had a ask questions session on twitter and they said they aren't changing the suspension because there's nothing wrong. They also said the chassis is staying the same no new crash test or anything. The main difference will be they will go back the the original exhaust setup because as they said was the most beneficial. So I don't think the car will change dramatically.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
According to scarbsf1 there is nothing wrong with the front pull-rod suspension the geometry is just as good as pushrod. Also Ferrari had a ask questions session on twitter and they said they aren't changing the suspension because there's nothing wrong. They also said the chassis is staying the same no new crash test or anything. The main difference will be they will go back the the original exhaust setup because as they said was the most beneficial. So I don't think the car will change dramatically.
That's a shame. It seems like they need a dramatic change. I wonder if they can get the DRS/F-duct fitted without any chassis change. Until it gets banned next year, that is the current fashionable trickery.

There will be new parts on line for China, and again when they get to Spain. Hopefully that will add some speed . They've really got nowhere to go but up and I don't think it will rain every sunday from now until November.

Meanwhile, it sounds like there are unhappy rumblings coming from RBR. I'm not surprised, being so used to winning, the start of this year must feel very unfamiliar to them. But I said in the past, Adrian Newey's history is two championships in a row, then fading. I do hope they put up a good fight this year though, I'd like to see four or five teams winning instead of just one or two. Keeps things more interesting...

Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, it sounds like there are unhappy rumblings coming from RBR. I'm not surprised, being so used to winning, the start of this year must feel very unfamiliar to them. But I said in the past, Adrian Newey's history is two championships in a row, then fading. I do hope they put up a good fight this year though, I'd like to see four or five teams winning instead of just one or two. Keeps things more interesting...
What I was surprised about was Vettels actions during and after the race. He's a lot nicer with a comfortable lead, maybe the true Vettel is coming out.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
What I was surprised about was Vettels actions during and after the race. He's a lot nicer with a comfortable lead, maybe the true Vettel is coming out.
In the Indian press, Karthikayen called him "immature". Maybe seeing in Vettel shades of the Alonso of three or four years ago who would get pissy every time things weren't going his way. Alonso seems to have matured so I'm sure there's hope for Vettel.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Newey's cars have won many championships for many teams. Way more than any other car designer.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
Newey's cars have won many championships for many teams. Way more than any other car designer.
That's true, but it seems like he wins two in a row, then the others catch up. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with in 2014. With new engine regs and other changes, we may see yet another show of Neweys genius. Or maybe, someone new will step up to become the new design master.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
That's true, but it seems like he wins two in a row, then the others catch up. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with in 2014. With new engine regs and other changes, we may see yet another show of Neweys genius. Or maybe, someone new will step up to become the new design master.
It will be a long time till any desiger can come close to Newey's record. Its early in the season so I wouldn't count them out just yet. Their first championship was a come from behind deal if you recall.

I'm still for Vettle and Kimi.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
It will be a long time till any desiger can come close to Newey's record. Its early in the season so I wouldn't count them out just yet. Their first championship was a come from behind deal if you recall.

I'm still for Vettle and Kimi.
I'm certainly not counting them out just yet. Other than qualifying, we really haven't seen a true reflection of the pecking order yet. I would say Australia was close, but Malaysia was too crazy to draw any conclusions from. There have been a lot of interesting comments, though, regarding RBR and their set up. Apparently, the last two years, they've shown up, made minor tweaks, and been good to go. This year, there's been a lot of setup changes, even at the last moment, just before qualifying. Clearly, they aren't as good as they were last year, while McLaren and Lotus seem to have everything sorted. Now Lotus just needs a bit of luck...

I'd like to see Kimi be competitive this year, but I think he may be running out of time. If the past few years are any indication, Lotus doesn't have the money to keep up with the pace of development of McLaren, RBR and Ferrari. They may need to get podiums now before it's too late. Time will tell.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227...the-Ferrauber-

Ferrauber...

I wonder if the B Spec Sauber will be a Saubari ?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

I'm hoping they cancel the Bahrain GP. But the political / human rights aspect is just a cover... one less race before the test and major upgrade at Mugello could only help Alonso. It might rain in China, but I'm pretty sure it won't in Bahrain.

Meanwhile, 5 spot grid penalty for a gearbox change for Hamilton. If he starts losing ground to Button early, I can see his season quickly falling apart.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
I hope Mercedes DRS saga is over...
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
I hope Mercedes DRS saga is over...
Lotus lodged an official protest with the race stewards. If they determine it to be legal, then I guess it's legal for the rest of the season. I'm sure after all the other teams spend millions to develop their own version, next year, the rule will be clarified and it will no longer be legal. So much for cost saving...

Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Lotus lodged an official protest with the race stewards. If they determine it to be legal, then I guess it's legal for the rest of the season. I'm sure after all the other teams spend millions to develop their own version, next year, the rule will be clarified and it will no longer be legal. So much for cost saving...
It's done, decision has been made and it is legal. Lotus will not appeal.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
It's done, decision has been made and it is legal. Lotus will not appeal.
Bring on the money...

Old 04-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Vettel out in Q2 (almost out in Q1). His start to the season has been a swift fall from the top. Could be Kimi's best opportunity of the year. And maybe another Sauber on the podium. I'm really enjoying this unpredictability.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM

This is the most mixed up season I've ever seen and its been only 3 races. Can't wait for this Sat and Sun.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM
racer wannabe

Quote:
This is the most mixed up season I've ever seen and its been only 3 races. Can't wait for this Sat and Sun.
I think we may see a clearer picture after this weekend.