Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions

Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions
Please post your comments, ideas, or suggestions here.

Old 04-19-2004, 10:02 AM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Change "delete post" behavior for start-of-thread

Hi -

In a number of cases, I have posted information in a thread, only to have the whole thread disappear when the original poster deletes the first post in the thread. In at least some of those cases, this has caused the loss of useful information. A case in point is the recent thread about key initialization, where I posted a (IMHO) well-thought-out reply describing the 3 methods a BMW key uses. Unfortunately, the original poster deleted their note and that information was lost. That is only the most recent example of this problem.

I would like to suggest that deleting a start-of-thread post no longer be allowed. I understand that with the software we use, it isn't possible to delete a start-of-thread post and keep the rest of the thread, so perhaps the original poster could just edit their post to remove all the text (or, even better, have the software automatically offer that if they try to delete a start-of-thread post).

In those few cases where deleting the whole thread is called for, it will generally have come to the attention of the forum moderators or site admins, so the thread creator could simply request that one of the moderators / admins perform the deletion. In the case I mentioned above, I believe the thread starter was a moderator. Despite the fact that moderators could delete their own threads under my proposal, simply saying "please don't do that" should suffice.

Comments?
Ads by Google
Old 04-19-2004, 10:03 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Simple solution- Don't post in threads started by Dave330i (and put him on your ignore list so that you're not tempted to reply).
Old 04-19-2004, 10:07 AM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Simple solution- Don't post in threads started by Dave330i (and put him on your ignore list so that you're not tempted to reply).
I don't believe the thread I refer to was started by Dave330i. But any moderator could go look in the deleted posts archive and check to make sure...
Old 04-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ??
absurd idea. if u have such a great bit of info to share, start your own thread.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:11 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___lk___
absurd idea. if u have such a great bit of info to share, start your own thread.
Huh? If someone posts something I feel like replying to, you're saying I should ignore that thread and create a new thread for my reply? That doesn't seem reasonable...
Old 04-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I agree that the need for thread delete is limited, however i can only imaging the flood of *****ing that would start if we removed it.

Tim
Old 04-19-2004, 07:58 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
I agree that the need for thread delete is limited, however i can only imaging the flood of *****ing that would start if we removed it.
How about allowing the current behavior in the various off-topic forums, but implementing some flavor of my suggestion in the technical forums?
Old 04-20-2004, 05:31 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
How about allowing the current behavior in the various off-topic forums, but implementing some flavor of my suggestion in the technical forums?
I like it the way it is now. For the most part, the privilege is only abused by a handful of people. Generally, if someone starts a thread, I think they should have the ability to delete it for whatever reason no matter whether the thread is non-sensical and meaningless or worthy of archiving for future generations. I don't like seeing threads deleted, particularly when there is worthwhile info in them, but it rarely happens. Occasionally, somone gets screwed, but I tihnk it's a fair price to pay to have this freedom that is absent on many other boards. Just my two cents.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?