Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Usually on the subway!

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 2.5i
Z4 out of storage question

I am new to the forums and need some advice.

Looks like I can now take my 03 Z4 2.5i out of storage. It has been sleeping for a few years now, and I have missed it greatly! I was wondering what service or maintenance should be done on the car. It has about 38k miles on it and has sat outside, under a cover, for a few years. I assume at least:
  • Change oil
  • Replace battery
  • Replace tires (not sure on this)
I had thought to have AAA handle the battery and get a local oil place to put in recommended oil.
Now, I can be pretty slow here, so I'm guessing I've missed a whole bunch. Got any advice?

FYI, She was in Hawaii till the end of '08 and has been parked in the scenic 'burbs of Gotham ever since.
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Pove

Mein Auto: Z4
Back on the road

Your brakes will need cleaning and hopefully you haven't put the handbrake on as this may need some work if the brakes are stuck on. Wheel bearings are probably okay but the wheels should be rotated just to be sure. Tyres may be a problem as these do deteriorate and get flat spots over time. You should also ensure nothing has crawled into the air cleaner before you turn the engine over and do this initially without starting the car, just to make sure it's free.
Above all don't rush it and start gunning the car immediately. If the car is a manual shift check the clutch operates correctly as these can stick. If cash is not aa problem, do the very basics and then take it to BMW for a full service. Take things easy and get some feedback from the car. If you check on the BMW website they inform you what to do prior to laying your car up.

This advice if offered by an amateur enthusiast and must not be considered to be a comprehensive solution.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 96 BMW Z3, 97 BMW M3
Replace ALL fluids.

Coolant, brake fluid, trans fluid, diff fluid, power steering fluid, hell even windshield washer fluid. Plus run a can of Techron in the first full tank of gas. After a couple of year of none use these fluids either break down, or get water (from condensation) in them. Replacing them is cheap insurance.

96 Z3 1.9 Black/tan/black
97 M3/4 Estoril/dove gray
08 3400HST Kubota Orange/gray
08 GMC Sierra CrewCab

Last edited by FredR; 12-01-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: '07 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR View Post
Coolant, brake fluid, trans fluid, diff fluid, power steering fluid, hell even windshield washer fluid. Plus run a can of Techron in the first full tank of gas. After a couple of year of none use these fluids either break down, or get water (from condensation) in them. Replacing them is cheap insurance.
I disagree with most of this.

First, the Z4 does not have power steering fluid.

The other lubricants don't "break down".

The one thing not mentioned was gasoline. That can indeed go bad - especially those with oxygenate additives (ethanol or MTBE). I would siphon as much out of the tank as you can and replace it with fresh gas. If the car starts, you got lucky and should let it run a bit to warm it up. Otherwise, it will be fuel system cleaning time.

When you change the oil, be sure and use a BMW approved synthetic.

Visibly check the tires for small cracks ("dry rot"). Look down the grooves of the treads. If you see any of this, you should replace the tires right away and drive the car very gently until you do.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 96 BMW Z3, 97 BMW M3
My bad...

I forgot Z4 have electric power steering. Plus breaking down was not the best choice of words. How about contaminated? Sorry you disagree.

96 Z3 1.9 Black/tan/black
97 M3/4 Estoril/dove gray
08 3400HST Kubota Orange/gray
08 GMC Sierra CrewCab
Old 12-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Usually on the subway!

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 2.5i
Thanks for the help

With your help, I think I have it under control. On the fuel front, I did refill the tank at least once and added a can of fuel stabilizer every time I filled, so I hope to avoid the issue there.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Tranny and diff oils do not get contaminated like engine oil does. These units are pretty much sealed.

The coolant and brake fluid is due for a change as it is coming up on 4 years (coolent is every 3 - 4 years and brake fluid every 2 years).

If you did not add an gasoline stabilizer to the tank before parking it, this could be your biggest issue, depending on the quality of the gas used. I agree with trying to drain as much as possible from the tank and adding in fresh gas. After a tank or two, consider replacing the fuel filter.

Brakes will clean themselves when you drive. But expect some noise on the first few stops, and expect longer stopping distances. If the clutch sticks, shut off the engine, put into gear and start. The starting should break it free. The only time I have ever had a clutch stick ws after driving through a hurricane and fairly deep water. For the e-brake, once you get going, gently apply the e-brake a few times whem mvoing to clean the drum. Not a bad idea to do this once a year anyway.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)