Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
stupid fuel pump

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Golf Tee mod BEWARE!! BMW found it...

Ok, so I recently did the Golf tee mod to my exhaust 2 months ago. I did it the stealthy way by using a BB in the vacuum line. I figured it was harmless....

Well, my car went into limp mode on Monday with the message “Engine malfunction, reduced engine power”. I already had that message when my fuel pump went out in January, so I thought my fuel pump went out again. Luckily, I was right near the dealer when it happened so I just chugged my car along into the shop. They found that it wasn’t the fuel pump; rather, my turbos were not holding boost. BMW had the dealer replace a couple gasket parts yesterday (Thursday). They tested it and the turbos still were not running right. BMW sent out a field tech to the dealer today and they went through the car trying to find out what it was. They wanted to see if it is the turbos and/or wastegate that needs replacing.

I just got a call from my SA and he said that they are probably going to need to replace the turbos and wastegate; however, when diagnosing the problem, they found my golf tee mod BB in the vacuum line. The field tech from BMW was furious and said that they may have a right to deny the work under warranty. On the other hand, at this point, because the Golf Tee mod is not CURRENTLY a factor for the turbo issues, they are going to charge me $130 to remove the BB and further diagnose the issue. The SA said they may be willing to look the other way on the BB for now, but it depends on what they find as they dig deeper. Although $130 is a ridiculous fee for removing the BB, Im just going to suck it up and pay rather than further infuriate them. Im just praying that they cannot attribute any problems from the mod to the turbo issues or else Im looking at a $4,000 bill and a revocation of my warranty in full from here on out!!!!

The only other thing I've done is LED lights to my interior. I was really looking into a piggyback such as the Juicebox; however, if they found a BB in an unrelated area, it may very well be possible to find eveidence of a piggyback, even if you remove it before service.

Advertisement
Old 04-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i, a beauty
That sucks man. It is pretty much only situations like these that I'm somewhat happy I am an attorney. For them to claim the golf tee mod would do that is ridiculous.
ED#1: 2006 330i 6sp, SGM, Terra Leather, Alum Trim, PDC, SP, PP, Idrive, Comfort Access, ED on 12/15, Completed on 12/19, Jetlagged on 12/20 at the office, and got my baby back on 2/1 ...

ED#2: 2008 335i 6spd, AW, CR, Alum Trim, PDC, SP, PP, Nav, CA, Heated Seats, Ipod, ED on 5/20, Completed on 6/2, Jetlagged on 6/4 at the office....
Old 04-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Was this Savage BMW by the way?
ED#1: 2006 330i 6sp, SGM, Terra Leather, Alum Trim, PDC, SP, PP, Idrive, Comfort Access, ED on 12/15, Completed on 12/19, Jetlagged on 12/20 at the office, and got my baby back on 2/1 ...

ED#2: 2008 335i 6spd, AW, CR, Alum Trim, PDC, SP, PP, Nav, CA, Heated Seats, Ipod, ED on 5/20, Completed on 6/2, Jetlagged on 6/4 at the office....
Old 04-11-2008, 04:13 PM
stupid fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
Was this Savage BMW by the way?
Yes, it is Savage. I actually would have taken it to Riverside BMW, but I was only 1 mile from Savage when my car died. If they do try to blame the mod for the turbo issues then I will definately be fighting them on it. I really struggled with doing the mod in the first place, but everyone explained how harmless it is....Just allow exhaust to esape from both pipes rather than one!

Old 04-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Google "Savage BMW". It is about the 6th entry down. Tells you all you need to know about them. Sadly, I was uninformed about them too, having bought my car from them. But I've never once taken it there for service.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 PM

Were they familiar with this BB mod by the way? It seems like kind of an odd mod, but I don't know much about it.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 335 Convert 4th Euro del
i dont see the problem with the turbos, but they dont like back pressure from the exhaust!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
stupid fuel pump

Oh I know all about Savage. My roomate worked there and sold me my car, and I still have a couple other friends who work there. I also referred people to buy from my friend as well. Because of my friends being on the inside, I know all about their dirty practices. Now all of those I referred to Savage take their car to Riverside.

They didnt say anything about knowing what the mod was for. They just said they found a BB in the line. Im sure they know why I did it though, leave the flap open for exhaust out of both pipes equals better sound!

Old 04-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bugu View Post
Oh I know all about Savage. My roomate worked there and sold me my car, and I still have a couple other friends who work there. I also referred people to buy from my friend as well. Because of my friends being on the inside, I know all about their dirty practices. Now all of those I referred to Savage take their car to Riverside.

They didnt say anything about knowing what the mod was for. They just said they found a BB in the line. Im sure they know why I did it though, leave the flap open for exhaust out of both pipes equals better sound!
I'm sorry, but why on earth did you not just unplug the wiring harness in the trunk? It takes 2 seconds to plug it back in. It would have saved you the trouble of doing this mod the time consuming way (as it had to be done with the E46) as well as this service hassle and the $130 to remove a BB.

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 PM

Doesn't the unplug method leave a code?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
stupid fuel pump

I researched all the methods and figured the BB would be nearly impossible to find. I mean, what would cause them to really go to the vacuum and look for a clog. The unplug in the trunk leaves a code and I didnt want to deal with that should it arise. Sure the code is easier to explain away, but I mean, finding a BB in the hose or a for sure find with a check of the codes? Who would have thought.......My assumptions led me to this situation now. My bad.

Last edited by born2bugu; 04-11-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A8L
I suppose it depends on the dealer and how they'd handle something like this. I'm actually surprised they found the bb in the vacuum line. There's no external visual indication other than a very slight bulge (depending on the bb's diameter). I have done the bb mod and tried to remove it earlier before taking the car in for service (just in case), but I couldn't get it out. I forget the diameter I used, but it was a very snug fit going in. I'll think twice about leaving it in if the car ever goes in for any work that may somehow relate to exhaust.

I'm sure it's like the JB mods - they're seeing a lot more of these on cars coming in for service, and are starting to clamp down.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: '07 335 Convertible
Perhaps if you had used... say.... a GOLF TEE, it would have been easier to revert back before limping into the Dealer

Read about my European Delivery adventure

Photography Web Site
Old 04-11-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I've heard conflicting reports of this. Definitely no CEL or any other indicators come up to the driver. I've heard that a "unable to communicate" code is stored in the DME, and I've also heard that it's a simple one-way switch that can't result in any codes generated. Maybe someone on here with direct technical knowledge can put this question to rest.

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ndna Jnz
Mein Auto: 07 335i Convert' Monaco
Thumbs up A slightly different approach to this mod...

I got a bunch of different sized vacuum tees and connectors from the local auto parts store (in small packages - about $1 each). Then I found the one that best fits the diameter of the vacuum hose in question. The piece I picked is a straight thru coupler meant to connect 2 hoses together (not a T). Then I poured a little epoxy mixture into the coupler and let it dry overnite. Then I sliced the vacuum hose in the best inconspicuous place I could find, inserted the coupler, and shoved both hose ends all the way onto the coupler. It is not even visible that there is anything doing. Works perfectly. But even tho it's stealth, if I had any drivetrain problem at all, I would replace it with a straight-thru one so the exhaust works as from the factory.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwac View Post
I've heard conflicting reports of this. Definitely no CEL or any other indicators come up to the driver. I've heard that a "unable to communicate" code is stored in the DME, and I've also heard that it's a simple one-way switch that can't result in any codes generated. Maybe someone on here with direct technical knowledge can put this question to rest.
And I bet all we need to do is figure out a resistor to put in place of the sensor at that plug as that's all the sensor probably does.

ED Pickup: 04/11/2007
Back in my posession: 5/29/07
Old 04-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Escape Artist®

Mein Auto: MY 07 M Coupe
I'll bet a lunch the service tech knew what to look for. Maybe not a bb specifically, but a modification to the vac line.

2007 Interlagos Blue M Coupe
2004 325i and I'm not sure what color it is except for dark silver.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 AM
my 335 with friend

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwac View Post
I'm sorry, but why on earth did you not just unplug the wiring harness in the trunk? It takes 2 seconds to plug it back in. It would have saved you the trouble of doing this mod the time consuming way (as it had to be done with the E46) as well as this service hassle and the $130 to remove a BB.
I tried this some months ago and couldn't get to the plug on the harness.. wires to short...
If I had pulled harder on the wiring would the plug become visible or would I have broken something?

Also a question.. when my 335 warms up for about 4 mins both exhausts are used.
Again what does this do? Does it go to just one exhaust when cruising on the freeway?

A little confused?

craig
Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigr View Post
I tried this some months ago and couldn't get to the plug on the harness.. wires to short...
If I had pulled harder on the wiring would the plug become visible or would I have broken something?
Hmm, when you open the little door inside the trunk (behind the left taillight) it should be readily visible in there. I noticed in the sedan it's harder to get at than the coupe, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigr View Post
Also a question.. when my 335 warms up for about 4 mins both exhausts are used.
Again what does this do? Does it go to just one exhaust when cruising on the freeway?
At approx. less than 3500 rpm or so the left exhaust is closed. So when cruising on the freeway or around town, the exhaust note is quieter. When you accelerate harder/floor it, the left pipe is opened up. Disabling the flap gives you the full dual-exhaust note at low speeds, although you will notice some drone on the freeway as a result. I hear it's a little worse on the sedan than the coupe, since the sedan has a different exhaust note. But IMO it's totally worth it (at least on the E92) - I love driving around town with the radio off and the windows down just to hear the sound!

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 04-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Yes, my dealer found the code and conveniently plugged the harness back in for me. Now, with the Dinan flash, they have reworked the exhaust mechanism so it's open. My dealer gave me no heartache about it and they figured it just fell off somehow.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Pillaging the world's oil

Mein Auto: 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Now, with the Dinan flash, they have reworked the exhaust mechanism so it's open.
Ah, thanks for that thekurgan. I went out and checked, and indeed both pipes are now open after the Dinan flash. The left one seems to make the more noise.

2008 335i Cabrio, Black Sapphire, Coral Red, Nav, Sport pkg, Bluetooth, DINAN Software
Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi w/Dinan
I'd bet a steak dinner that there are people from BMW looking at these sites to see what people are doing to their cars.....
Old 04-12-2008, 11:09 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: Turbo BMWs
Unplugging the connector leaves a hidden code for sure, but I can't imagine they would deny a claim over it.
BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 05 Evolution VIII 405 whp
Will the BMS filter cause it to throw any codes? How much louder is it and is it available for
the 135?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Done with BMW

Mein Auto: '09 A4 Sedan, '08 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroboy View Post
Ah, thanks for that thekurgan. I went out and checked, and indeed both pipes are now open after the Dinan flash. The left one seems to make the more noise.
Hello, Petroboy. My thanks to thekurgan and you for confirming this.

Best,

Snaxster