Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 Vert
@sunny: thanks. I'll circle back.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Terri,

Thank you so much for relaying my question, and also your diligence and very thorough and informative post on what's going on with your situation. Hopefully the end of the story has been written, but being somewhat of a cynic, I'm thinking 'to be continued'.

Thank you again.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
Terri,

Thank you so much for relaying my question, and also your diligence and very thorough and informative post on what's going on with your situation. Hopefully the end of the story has been written, but being somewhat of a cynic, I'm thinking 'to be continued'.

Thank you again.
Hi Lufthansa, you are very welcomed somehow I have the same feeling about the "to be continued" part
I am pretty sure the BMW engineer and I will meet again soon

2011 328i Convertible | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim| Sports | Premium | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | iPod/USB
Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335is Cab & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_atl View Post
Hi beden! So your wife's car run on highway back and forth each way during weekdays and once over the weekend to go supermarket? From how the service center staffs been "brainwashing" me, hahaha.. ok they said driving short distances will not be sufficient to charge the battery. I told them I meet BMW's standard of "Battery Care". It stated if car is driven less than 10miles (per trip I believe) and not occasionally run on highways (I believe they referring to 30mins), the charging system won't work. I need to add something what the engineer said to me in my next post. He said my 200 miles over 14 days is perfectly good. But the service center still loves to talk about the low miles in my car. The service director said even 10 miles per trip is not sufficient to charge the battery. I told him I got that figure from the "Battery Care" but if we all meet BMW's standard, no one should fault us. If BMW likes, they can be very specific as to say drive more than 20 miles per trip, etc..
There is something wrong with the BMW charging system or in their electrical system or both. Most 5 Series cars from '08 through '10 have this problem, and some 3 Series also have the problem. It is complete BS that the our '08 BMW is not driven enough miles, and if so, then why do none of our other cars have the same issue (or any cars we have owned since I started driving in 1969)?

BMW is long on BS and very short on answers or solutions.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW 335is Convertible; '08 BMW 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
There is something wrong with the BMW charging system or in their electrical system or both. Most 5 Series cars from '08 through '10 have this problem, and some 3 Series also have the problem. It is complete BS that the our '08 BMW is not driven enough miles, and if so, then why do none of our other cars have the same issue (or any cars we have owned since I started driving in 1969)?

BMW is long on BS and very short on answers or solutions.
I am sure you love your BMWs since you have been so loyal to this automaker for decades. This my first BMW, never driven anything other than Mercedes. I do love and enjoy the drive of my car even though it is horrifying to learn there r pple out there who hate BMW drivers to the core. That aside, my friend's husband whois a professor in electrical/electronic engineering dept said the modern cars have all the devices/gadgets going on which consume alot more electricity compared to the cars years ago. So I guess perhaps the cars nowadays should have a bigger battery pack or something to sustain the electrical consumption. On another note, I read a post somewhere that said whatever the electricity a car consumes, the same or more amount must put back in the battery, if not that will result in battery problem. Given what the service center and people in forum have suggested, my guess for why your car has no battery drain issue is because your wife's trips consumed more electricity than your car just sitting there.

Found this page, very interesting read.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...teries_to_fail

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...battery-drains

Nevertheless, all automakers should make bigger or better batteries for the cars of today.

2011 328i Convertible | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim| Sports | Premium | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | iPod/USB
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335is Cab & '08 535xi
Quote:
I am sure you love your BMWs since you have been so loyal to this automaker for decades. This my first BMW, never driven anything other than Mercedes. I do love and enjoy the drive of my car even though it is horrifying to learn there r pple out there who hate BMW drivers to the core. That aside, my friend's husband whois a professor in electrical/electronic engineering dept said the modern cars have all the devices/gadgets going on which consume alot more electricity compared to the cars years ago. So I guess perhaps the cars nowadays should have a bigger battery pack or something to sustain the electrical consumption. On another note, I read a post somewhere that said whatever the electricity a car consumes, the same or more amount must put back in the battery, if not that will result in battery problem. Given what the service center and people in forum have suggested, my guess for why your car has no battery drain issue is because your wife's trips consumed more electricity than your car just sitting there.
Found this page, very interesting read.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...teries_to_fail

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...battery-drains

Nevertheless, all automakers should make bigger or better batteries for the cars of today.
But, that does not explain why our '08 535xi has the issue and none of our other cars do! For example, my daughter's 2011 Audi S4 has more options on it than does my wife's BMW, and they drive the exact same miles each day as they work at the same company. And, I have never had to use the battery tender to keep the S4 battery fully charged?

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW 335is Convertible; '08 BMW 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
But, that does not explain why our '08 535xi has the issue and none of our other cars do! For example, my daughter's 2011 Audi S4 has more options on it than does my wife's BMW, and they drive the exact same miles each day as they work at the same company. And, I have never had to use the battery tender to keep the S4 battery fully charged?
Hello You do know I am not on the BMW side, but let's say could it be your daughter's S4 is a 2011 car? The battery is considerably new. But I know your wife's car has this issue from the beginning. And of cos mine is a 2011 car and I have the battery issue. The strangest part for my case is "Terminal 15 was on" that resulted in the increased battery discharge. Yet no one can explain why, it remained a mystery. At least you can use a battery tender, I can't

Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Fyi

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/attachmen...supply-bus-pdf

What I am getting from the way this works is it wakes up every 14 seconds and checks to see if the battery is still charged therefore using more of the battery capacity . Also now there are about 10 modules that it keeps in a state of readiness whenever you come near the car therefore drawing more charge out of the battery. It looks to me the only thing that needs be in a state of readiness is the ignition most of the time and the fob and door sensors .
I can't understand why they would make it wake up every 14 seconds cause its not going to matter to you until you start the car.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
http://bmwcoders.com/forum/attachmen...supply-bus-pdf

What I am getting from the way this works is it wakes up every 14 seconds and checks to see if the battery is still charged therefore using more of the battery capacity . Also now there are about 10 modules that it keeps in a state of readiness whenever you come near the car therefore drawing more charge out of the battery. It looks to me the only thing that needs be in a state of readiness is the ignition most of the time and the fob and door sensors .
I can't understand why they would make it wake up every 14 seconds cause its not going to matter to you until you start the car.
Hi ctuna!! ok if that is the case, then all BMWs will have "Terminal 15 was on" issue. But looks like I am alone on that. Not even in any forum. I don't enjoy waiting and riding the elevator 4 floors down just to admire my car, hehe.. So nope my keyfob is not near close proximity of the car at all. Then again I read in one of the 2 articles I posted, not sure if it applies to BMWs, it mentioned something about cars will wake up when they detect signals when any keyfob is nearby and to match if it is the key that matches the car. That is a flawed design if you ask me because many cars nowadays have keyfobs and cars will not have their good night sleep. Speaking of sleep, I m finally sleepy!! nite!!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Well you are not alone with the battery issues.

Its just that they don't manifest in the same way or with the same severity.
But the fact that its not a problem on the older BMW's without this system
or other current cars says something about the design. There was a recent
report on Motorweek on Gosses garage about the fact modern cars are requiring
more and more battery capacity to run all the computers and sub modules on cars.
I had the terminal 15 error on my car but it is an 06 and I induced it by having
the doors open for 3 or 4 hours while modifying the stereo . Before I started working
on it knew the battery was low .

Last edited by ctuna; 01-07-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Its just that they don't manifest in the same way or with the same severity.
But the fact that its not a problem on the older BMW's without this system
or other current cars says something about the design. There was a recent
report on Motorweek on Gosses garage about the fact modern cars are requiring
more and more battery capacity to run all the computers and sub modules on cars.
I had the terminal 15 error on my car but it is an 06 and I induced it by having
the doors open for 3 or 4 hours while modifying the stereo . Before I started working
on it knew the battery was low .
I guess you have a point. The report on Motorweek is definitely spot on about modern cars requiring bigger battery capacity.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
The E90 uses alot more electronics than the E46. I owned an E46 for almost 9 years and in that time I only had to buy 1 battery for that car and it was not until I hit 5 years, granted I didn't have Navi or comfort access. If I had to do it over again and order my E90 again I would not have got the alarm or the comfort access. There both good features but for me not must have's, I wanted the rear parking sensors and the others were all part of a pkg. Still the E90 is basically run by a computer. When I was waiting in the lounge to pic up my car after they changed the footwell module, I heard the guy on the phone w/ the customer saying, "sir we need you to bring your car in so we can hook it up to the computer to find out what is wrong" he must have said it 3 times, "we need to hook it up to the computer". It was weird.

terri_atl,
Do you know what specs are on your battery? I believe there is a TSB campaign on the battery for certain build dates, I looked at mine and I have a 90ah 720a. I believe some people that were getting the increased battery discharge had a lower # than 90ah and BMW was changing their battery under warranty to the higher 90ah. So check that out too, you may have to take the cover off in the trunk to get to it but it's right on the white sticker on top of the battery, you want it to say 90ah

Last edited by Bimmer4life; 01-07-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4life View Post
The E90 uses alot more electronics than the E46. I owned an E46 for almost 9 years and in that time I only had to buy 1 battery for that car and it was not until I hit 5 years, granted I didn't have Navi or comfort access. If I had to do it over again and order my E90 again I would not have got the alarm or the comfort access. There both good features but for me not must have's, I wanted the rear parking sensors and the others were all part of a pkg. Still the E90 is basically run by a computer. When I was waiting in the lounge to pic up my car after they changed the footwell module, I heard the guy on the phone w/ the customer saying, "sir we need you to bring your car in so we can hook it up to the computer to find out what is wrong" he must have said it 3 times, "we need to hook it up to the computer". It was weird.

terri_atl,
Do you know what specs are on your battery? I believe there is a TSB campaign on the battery for certain build dates, I looked at mine and I have a 90ah 720a. I believe some people that were getting the increased battery discharge had a lower # than 90ah and BMW was changing their battery under warranty to the higher 90ah. So check that out too, you may have to take the cover off in the trunk to get to it but it's right on the white sticker on top of the battery, you want it to say 90ah
Hi Bimmer, I have no idea what specs is my battery (original) or even the new one. So I tried to look at the paperwork that was given to me after they changed out my original battery with a new one, it has this 90AG4-145C0 in one description. I am not sure if this belonged to the original or new battery. You know there are some abbreviated letters, which I don't understand. I will check with my SA the next time but I hope I don't have to go there until my service date. Can I take out the cover in my trunk? It seemed to be non removable. I still don't quite get the location of the battery but I will try to locate it. Sorry, I am terrible in this.

Thanks for posting this, definitely very helpful to know. I need to learn more and will be grateful to have any info about this issue

Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Don't worry it is very easy. The battery is in the trunk on the right side. There is a plastic dial that you turn with your finger to open, then you pull up and towards you, its just a cover, it anchors at the bottom. The tray that holds the manual is all attached. It's bottom heavy because the tools r under the tray that holds the manual. To put it back put in the bottom first and hook it align it in place then the top and turn the plastic knob to lock it. Once u have the cover off get a flashlight and you can see the white sticker on the battery which tells u what size it is.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Don't worry it is very easy. The battery is in the trunk on the right side. There is a plastic dial that you turn with your finger to open, then you pull up and towards you, its just a cover, it anchors at the bottom. The tray that holds the manual is all attached. It's bottom heavy because the tools r under the tray that holds the manual. To put it back put in the bottom first and hook it align it in place then the top and turn the plastic knob to lock it. Once u have the cover off get a flashlight and you can see the white sticker on the battery which tells u what size it is.
Thanks!! I will try it tomorrow. Will post back here after I tried your method

Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM

No problem. I'm sure you must have the 90ah battery, I have it and my 2011 was built in Oct 2010 but it never hurts to check your car. Here is the thread that shows the TSB bulletin on this look at post #12

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=90ah

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=12

Here is another thread on the battery replacement under warranty

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=0061380300

Hope this helps if you didn't already know about it.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
No problem. I'm sure you must have the 90ah battery, I have it and my 2011 was built in Oct 2010 but it never hurts to check your car. Here is the thread that shows the TSB bulletin on this look at post #12

Thanks! I got this car in March 2011. How do you know when your car was built. Anyway, my original battery that came with the car has been changed out. I have a new battery installed 2 days before Xmas. Initially dealer made me paid, but the BMW engineer asked them to reimburse me back.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:

And thank you for the info/links, I will take a look at them these few days.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 PM

If you open your drivers's car door, inside the door jam is a plate, on it will show your VIN # and on the 2nd line on the far right side is your build date, mine says 10/10, meaning it was built Oct 2010. I actually know it was built the last week of Oct because my dealer SA advised me everyweek what stage my car was in.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
If you open your drivers's car door, inside the door jam is a plate, on it will show your VIN # and on the 2nd line on the far right side is your build date, mine says 10/10, meaning it was built Oct 2010. I actually know it was built the last week of Oct because my dealer SA advised me everyweek what stage my car was in.
Oh...

Sorry.. thank you for being so patient with me. I never notice it I guess I will look out for that tomorrow too.

Have a great evening!! Will post back here tomo

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Hello there! mine said 01/11, guess mine built in Jan 2011. There are 2 black buttons (with a slot in the middle) in the trunk. One left and one right, no way to open with fingers. maybe my fingers too small?? You sure it's on the right trunk? I hope whatever I open, I can put it back properly :P Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:41 PM
*** Team America ***

Mein Auto: 335i
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks! I got this car in March 2011. How do you know when your car was built. Anyway, my original battery that came with the car has been changed out. I have a new battery installed 2 days before Xmas. Initially dealer made me paid, but the BMW engineer asked them to reimburse me back.
Congratulations Terri!!

Too bad it had to cause so much grief before BMW stepped up and gave you a New Battery
for a Whopping Cost of --$ 85.00 plus labor...

Gee you'd think they would be more than happy to replace a questionable battery on a $40,000.00 product.

As a Result of reading this thread and other research i've done, I purchased a BMW battery Tender.
Wish I would have gotten one 3 years ago--it would have saved me needless milage to charge
my system on unnecesary trips.

Best Wishes!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Congratulations Terri!!

Too bad it had to cause so much grief before BMW stepped up and gave you a New Battery
for a Whopping Cost of --$ 85.00 plus labor...

Gee you'd think they would be more than happy to replace a questionable battery on a $40,000.00 product.

As a Result of reading this thread and other research i've done, I purchased a BMW battery Tender.
Wish I would have gotten one 3 years ago--it would have saved me needless milage to charge
my system on unnecesary trips.

Best Wishes!
Hello x26!! Thanks!!

The dealership charged me $199.99 +tax for the battery, they took care of the labor. Of cos in the end, I got it reimbursed

Exactly!! Actually this car cost over $60,000 including tax. Not to mention I bought tire and wheel warranty on this too, and that's an addition to the $60+k. I hope this new battery will last me for a few years, less than a year is just unacceptable.

I wish I can buy a battery tender too, however there is just no way to use one in a highrise condo

Thanks for writing here

Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Hello x26!! Thanks!!

The dealership charged me $199.99 +tax for the battery, they took care of the labor. Of cos in the end, I got it reimbursed

Exactly!! Actually this car cost over $60,000 including tax. Not to mention I bought tire and wheel warranty on this too, and that's an addition to the $60+k. I hope this new battery will last me for a few years, less than a year is just unacceptable.

I wish I can buy a battery tender too, however there is just no way to use one in a highrise condo

Thanks for writing here

FYI I just received an "Increased Battery Discharge" warning a couple of days ago when I left the office. Stopped for a bite to eat on the way home and didn't receive it when I left the restaurant. Decided to put it on a battery charger to see the condition of the battery. Took about an hour to recharge. I'll be keeping an eye on it for the next few weeks. Given the battery is about five years old I'm not too concerned about it, probably time for a replacement if I receive the warning again. And here's the kicker: ~$150 parts and labor at my indy.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
FYI I just received an "Increased Battery Discharge" warning a couple of days ago when I left the office. Stopped for a bite to eat on the way home and didn't receive it when I left the restaurant. Decided to put it on a battery charger to see the condition of the battery. Took about an hour to recharge. I'll be keeping an eye on it for the next few weeks. Given the battery is about five years old I'm not too concerned about it, probably time for a replacement if I receive the warning again. And here's the kicker: ~$150 parts and labor at my indy.
Hi sunny!! That I guess may be the first sign of failing battery? I dunno but at least your battery is about 5 years old. At least you can put it on a battery charger, but I suppose taking only an hour to recharge is not bad at all.