Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Question Humidity inside of headlight

I had my engine "detailed" (powerwashed) yesterday, and I noticed this morning that my passenger side headlight asssembly is now fogged up on the inside.

Is this something that will dry itself out? I had actually thought that the facelift model headlights on the E39 were pretty well sealed shut.

-
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2004, 06:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
I do not know if this applies also to the 5 series but I took my car into the dealer last week because I had water (condesation) inside my foglights after heavy rains. The dealer showed me a bulletin from BMW saying water inside headlamps and foglights was acceptable. There are supposed to be drain tubes so I assume the light assemblies are not hermetically sealed. When this happens the lights need to be run to dry out the inside of the headlamps.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
I do not know if this applies also to the 5 series but I took my car into the dealer last week because I had water (condesation) inside my foglights after heavy rains. The dealer showed me a bulletin from BMW saying water inside headlamps and foglights was acceptable. There are supposed to be drain tubes so I assume the light assemblies are not hermetically sealed. When this happens the lights need to be run to dry out the inside of the headlamps.
That is sort of what I was thinking. Although it is not acceptable to me!

My friend's 2001 E38 has the same problem with the fog lamps. His service guru told him to "keep them on all of the time" so that the heat would prevent any fogging.

Anyway, at least I now have an engine clean enough to eat off of!

-
Old 04-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Sport Rules

Mein Auto: 2008 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick 520iAT
That is sort of what I was thinking. Although it is not acceptable to me!

My friend's 2001 E38 has the same problem with the fog lamps. His service guru told him to "keep them on all of the time" so that the heat would prevent any fogging.

Anyway, at least I now have an engine clean enough to eat off of!

-
The E39 headlights (at least the 2001) has the vent tubes on it, I saw it the other day, on the pass side, near the turn signal bulb socket, they must have gotten the water in at the right angle.

As long as it does not leak when driving you should be ok.