Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Just got back from the dealer(still not picking it up till this weekend) but was able to get inside and take it for a ride.

328sportline initial impressions

The drive was not long at all, maybe 7-8miles.

Impressions on interior
-sport seats are amazing. So comfortable, just as good if not better than the sport seats in my 335's...could sit in these seats all day long
-didnt pay to much attention to fit and finish of the matierials, but nothing out of the oridnary.
-I was able to find a good comfrtoable seating position using the manual levers.
-I was impressed with the HK ZPS system. I will have to do some tweaking for the equilizer, but def happy i got it(have not checkd out the regualr sound system)
-back seat room was not bad, but not great either, slightly roomier than e90, rear seats were pretty firm.

Exterior styling-
-the car looked great in mineral grey
-i am crazy about gaps in the body panels and everythign looked good and tight
-rear end of the car is awesome looking
-it has the front mount plate, but whatever, most important to me is how the car drives. I will get a euro plate or something

Driving impressions.
-holy ****! the steering is super light in eco and comfort,
-in sport and sport+ the steering felt great, no problems with feel. At low speeds you can feel the electric assist, but thats also nice when you are manuevering in a tight sport or something. At speed there is plenty of feel and feedback in the steering
-N20, very impressed. Noise was not an issue for me, i didnt hear anything that i thought was out of the ordniary. The torque felt great, power was nice(i wasnt ringing it out, its not a demo lol)
-the transmission is great, super fast shifts, i like it. Sport auto is nice to, nice aggressive shift patterns.
-My CA told me my car(328 sport) was more smooth and quiet than the base 328 they got in for demo. (he thought maybe the tires) next...
-tires, i got the contis sport 5...very happy with them, felt soooooo much smoother than the re050 i had in e90.
-handling felt good, there is some size to the car, but it felt lighter and smaller when i was driving it.
-I wasnt getting to agresive but it had good body control(i did not get apdaptive suspension). def stiffer than my base e90 328.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by justinnum1; 02-13-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
Awesome. It must feel good to finally get behind the wheel of the car you have been waiting for.

Glad to hear that it has met your expectations so far...I am sure you are anxious to pick it up for the weekend!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post
Awesome. It must feel good to finally get behind the wheel of the car you have been waiting for.

Glad to hear that it has met your expectations so far...I am sure you are anxious to pick it up for the weekend!
yea, i knew it would amazing, but god damn lol, that car is a ****ing blast

It trully is amazing the performance coming out the N20.

I will say, sportline is a must for any enthusiast. and driving a 328 modern or luxury just doesnt do it justice imo
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Just got back from the dealer(still not picking it up till this weekend) but was able to get inside and take it for a ride.

328sportline initial impressions

The drive was not long at all, maybe 7-8miles.

Impressions on interior
-sport seats are amazing. So comfortable, just as good if not better than the sport seats in my 335's...could sit in these seats all day long
-didnt pay to much attention to fit and finish of the matierials, but nothing out of the oridnary.
-I was able to find a good comfrtoable seating position using the manual levers.
-I was impressed with the HK ZPS system. I will have to do some tweaking for the equilizer, but def happy i got it(have not checkd out the regualr sound system)
-back seat room was not bad, but not great either, slightly roomier than e90, rear seats were pretty firm.

Exterior styling-
-the car looked great in mineral grey
-i am crazy about gaps in the body panels and everythign looked good and tight
-rear end of the car is awesome looking
-it has the front mount plate, but whatever, most important to me is how the car drives. I will get a euro plate or something

Driving impressions.
-holy ****! the steering is super light in eco and comfort,
-in sport and sport+ the steering felt great, no problems with feel. At low speeds you can feel the electric assist, but thats also nice when you are manuevering in a tight sport or something. At speed there is plenty of feel and feedback in the steering
-N20, very impressed. Noise was not an issue for me, i didnt hear anything that i thought was out of the ordniary. The torque felt great, power was nice(i wasnt ringing it out, its not a demo lol)
-the transmission is great, super fast shifts, i like it. Sport auto is nice to, nice aggressive shift patterns.
-My CA told me my car(328 sport) was more smooth and quiet than the base 328 they got in for demo. (he thought maybe the tires) next...
-tires, i got the contis sport 5...very happy with them, felt soooooo much smoother than the re050 i had in e90.
-handling felt good, there is some size to the car, but it felt lighter and smaller when i was driving it.
-I wasnt getting to agresive but it had good body control(i did not get apdaptive suspension). def stiffer than my base e90 328.[IMG][/IMG]
Why aren't u able to take it home?!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
justin, firstly, congrats. The car looks great in the mineral. Secondly, dammit, now you've gone and confused me by saying the Sportline is THE one to get for enthusiasts. ****e! Just when I thought I'd decided. So why the Sportline? Other than cosmetics differences, what makes the Sport a better performer?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
justin, firstly, congrats. The car looks great in the mineral. Secondly, dammit, now you've gone and confused me by saying the Sportline is THE one to get for enthusiasts. ****e! Just when I thought I'd decided. So why the Sportline? Other than cosmetics differences, what makes the Sport a better performer?
Sport Suspension, Summer Tires, Sport Seats, Access to Sport Auto, optional Adaptive M Suspension...

Sport Line = Sport Package from the E90 days.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus/VW
So, how long did this whole thing took? Looking at the first post you posted till now, it is about 12 weeks? Is it that long?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Honestly, the sport package really changes the dynamics of the car. modern or luxury are very nice(i need to drive one to really compare)but the sporltine brought back great memeoris of my e90 N54 sport. Peronally for my aggressive driving style, sportline was a must. But modern and luxury, from what i have read are very nice as well. I will need to drive one to compare.

I know most dealers did not get a 328 sport for people to test.(they mostly got luxury or modern 328's), im sure you will be happy with whatever, but if you are an aggressive driver, than i would recommend the sportline, its def more than cosmetics.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunxnus View Post
So, how long did this whole thing took? Looking at the first post you posted till now, it is about 12 weeks? Is it that long?
Ordered around Dec 10th,
car finished production Jan4th
at delaer on feb 9
Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Honestly, the sport package really changes the dynamics of the car. modern or luxury are very nice(i need to drive one to really compare)but the sporltine brought back great memeoris of my e90 N54 sport. Peronally for my aggressive driving style, sportline was a must. But modern and luxury, from what i have read are very nice as well. I will need to drive one to compare.

I know most dealers did not get a 328 sport for people to test.(they mostly got luxury or modern 328's), im sure you will be happy with whatever, but if you are an aggressive driver, than i would recommend the sportline, its def more than cosmetics.
Ok, thanks, justin. You've been on this, from all angles, so I figured I'd ask you. Great looking car ya got there!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: '12 F30 328i 6MT
Congrats, Justin. Car looks great. Hopefully I can join the Florida F30 Crew sometime within the next few months
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335i (2011)
Justin. That looks like Pines BMW. I have gotten many cars from them. My CA is Les Cutler. Good guy if anyone goes by there. Funny that you went from the 335 to the new 328. I will likely do the same unless I move up to the 5.

Congrats. Car looks great!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck View Post
Justin. That looks like Pines BMW. I have gotten many cars from them. My CA is Les Cutler. Good guy if anyone goes by there. Funny that you went from the 335 to the new 328. I will likely do the same unless I move up to the 5.

Congrats. Car looks great!
Yep, pines it is. Good eye.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Infiniti G37s
Awesome congrats - agreed sportsline is the way to go and that color looks really good!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Just picked it up this afternoon!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Congratulations.

BTW, with regard to the manual seat controls...did your E90 also have manual seat controls? Is the one that slides the seat back and forth still jutting out like it did on the E90, or is it any different?

Thanks.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
CONGRATS! A couple questions for you - how do you like the manual seats? I had an E46 325i with manual sport seats and I remember the manual controls feeling extremely flimsy and cheap for a "premium" car - the Mazda 3 that I had before seemed much more solid in that regard. How is the F30?

Also: how do you like the standard gauge cluster? The Modern line F30 I drove had the Tech package with the upgraded gauge cluster with the seamless LCD, it was gorgeous. I saw a pic of the regular small LCD display and I was really turned off. But maybe it was the pics... how is it in real life? Can you maybe post a few pics of the various display modes since photos of this display are few and far between?

Again... congrats! Hope you have many enjoyable trouble-free miles.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Pics, man! Pics!!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Congratulations.

BTW, with regard to the manual seat controls...did your E90 also have manual seat controls? Is the one that slides the seat back and forth still jutting out like it did on the E90, or is it any different?

Thanks.
thx
never had manual seats in the e90. as for the lever to move the seat back and forth, i dont know how it was in the e90, but it works fine.

Last edited by justinnum1; 02-15-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligible View Post
CONGRATS! A couple questions for you - how do you like the manual seats? I had an E46 325i with manual sport seats and I remember the manual controls feeling extremely flimsy and cheap for a "premium" car - the Mazda 3 that I had before seemed much more solid in that regard. How is the F30?

Also: how do you like the standard gauge cluster? The Modern line F30 I drove had the Tech package with the upgraded gauge cluster with the seamless LCD, it was gorgeous. I saw a pic of the regular small LCD display and I was really turned off. But maybe it was the pics... how is it in real life? Can you maybe post a few pics of the various display modes since photos of this display are few and far between?

Again... congrats! Hope you have many enjoyable trouble-free miles.
thx
Manual seats are fine, quite a bit of levers, but i was able to find a comfortable seating position.

Standard guage cluster is fine.

I will get some pics tomorrow of those things, any one else want specific pics?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
thx
Manual seats are fine, quite a bit of levers, but i was able to find a comfortable seating position.

Standard guage cluster is fine.

I will get some pics tomorrow of those things, any one else want specific pics?
Thanks so much. I'm sure the last thing you want to be doing is taking pictures of random things - I'm sure you'd much rather be driving!

One other thing (not necessarily a pic, but if you want!) does the non-nav iDrive offer the Sport Display gauges (hp/tq) under Vehicle Info?

Last edited by unintelligible; 02-15-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Hey justin, your initial order post says Dakota Red Leather, but the pic of your car looks like it's black leather thru the window. So, which is it? Can we get some pics of the seats and dash?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
Congrats!! I bet its such a relief, lets see some pics soon and a review after you put a few miles on it. Have fun!

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligible View Post
Thanks so much. I'm sure the last thing you want to be doing is taking pictures of random things - I'm sure you'd much rather be driving!

One other thing (not necessarily a pic, but if you want!) does the non-nav iDrive offer the Sport Display gauges (hp/tq) under Vehicle Info?
Quote:
Hey justin, your initial order post says Dakota Red Leather, but the pic of your car looks like it's black leather thru the window. So, which is it? Can we get some pics of the seats and dash?
ended up going with black leather

and i dont think the non nav shows those guages, tho i will check
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus/VW
So jealous!