Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
'95 325i No start. Replaced relays/fuel pump.

Hi there. My name is Scott and I am new to this forum and at my wits end regarding my BMW. I have searched on the forum for users with similar issues and performed some of the tests in those threads.

Before the car stopped working it was running perfectly and I had no problems with it. Then one day I went to start it, heard the fuel pump prime, and then cranked. The engine started but only ran for about 4 seconds. I reinserted the key and proceeded to restart the engine but when I went into the koeo position, the pump did not prime and since then the car has not started.

I have replaced the fuel pump relay, DME relay, and the fuel pump. The fuel pump fuse was still good but I switched it out with a new one just for the heck of it. After all of that I am still getting the same symptoms. I read on this forum that it could be the Crankshaft Position Sensor. However, on another website I read that even if the CPS is bad, the fuel pump will still prime in koeo. I am in no way an expert so I do not know if that is true. Can someone clarify that for me?

With that being said I can tell you what I do know:

The fuel pump receives no power in koeo as verified by a voltmeter.

The fuel pump does receive power and runs when I crank the engine. Also verified by a voltmeter.

I have not done any further testing regarding relays and such but I figured they were unnecessary given we replaced them and the pump is eventually receiving power.

Right now I don't know what to do and it looks like I will be taking it into a shop which is what I wanted to avoid.

I am hoping someone on here can give me any advice on what I should try next? Thank you very much.

Last edited by johnbyebye; 12-02-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Fireballs inc.

Send a message via AIM to Mr Gusta
Mein Auto: big turbo hellrot sedan
Crank Position sensor

or it could be a fuel filter

Turbo lag is just a headstart because the chase is more exciting than the win - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Mr Gusta; 12-02-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36_Hater433 View Post
Crank Position sensor

or it could be a fuel filter
Thanks for the reply.

I have a fuel filter that I haven't installed yet so I can do that. How would a fuel filter prevent power from getting to the pump in koeo though?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:15 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
why does everyone insist on using a voltmeter to check for power on a circuit??

all, and i mean *ALL* of the technicians that i have worked with over 15 years use a test light when checking for power on a cicuit like a fuel pump. the only time we used a dvom was to check for a specific voltage on a particular circuit as indicated in a diagnostic check.

there. got that out of the way.

are you cycling the key all the way back, and then back to the koeo position??

do you have a test light??

does the car try to start with starting fluid??

df
Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
why does everyone insist on using a voltmeter to check for power on a circuit??

all, and i mean *ALL* of the technicians that i have worked with over 15 years use a test light when checking for power on a cicuit like a fuel pump. the only time we used a dvom was to check for a specific voltage on a particular circuit as indicated in a diagnostic check.

there. got that out of the way.

are you cycling the key all the way back, and then back to the koeo position??

do you have a test light??

does the car try to start with starting fluid??

df
I'm sorry if I've offended you by using a voltmeter. It seemed logical to me because mine doesn't use a battery and requires power from where you connect it to obtain a reading. Therefore, if there was no reading in the koeo position but a reading when I crank it then I don't see how having a test light would make any difference in the results. If you really believe a test light would hint to a different problem then by golly, I will go buy one. I'm not a technician and while I enjoy working on cars, I don't do it that often and I'm just a big amateur. A voltmeter is the only thing I could immediately think of and the only thing I had lying around, so to answer your question; no I do not have a test light.

Yes I do cycle the key all the way back to off.

I have not tried using starting fluid. The earliest I can change the fuel filter is Sunday so I will try it then.

Thanks for replying.

Last edited by johnbyebye; 12-02-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
no offense taken, just had this sort of thing drilled into my head in class. it's like using a spoon to spread blue cheese on a cracker. it might work, but there's a better way. plus it can also be used to check the ground side of the circuit. the dvom, not so much. voltage drop, yes, but that's a different test altogether.

a logic probe is even more fantastic as it will light a diode red or green to indicate power or ground. i also believe it is module safe to test circuits, whereas a test light is not. however, when i was doing diags that called for testing of modules, specific voltages were given so i used my dvom instead.

that being said, i think that you may be looking at a crank sensor. the fuel filter is always a good thing to do, though, when you are uncertain of the last time it was replaced.

keep us in the loop.

df
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Miko

Mein Auto: 325IS
simple question I didnt see asked are you getting spark ? When cranking can you smell gas or no? did you disconnect the fuel return to see if fuel is actually pumping ? Lastly, have you checked voltages on TPS, CAS, to make sure there is output ?
Bruce Fulper Powered Fuel Injected 455
1967 GTO
2004 GTO 6.0

Old 12-04-2011, 03:47 PM

So after replacing the fuel filter I go start it and after a struggle it finally starts up. I still didn't hear the fuel pump purge at koeo but at this point I just assumed it was really quiet. After letting it warm up for about 5 minutes, I went to go get some gas at a nearby station and as soon as I pressed the gas pedal to leave the driveway it went dead instantly. It won't start at all now and it doesn't look like I can do anything about it. My guess is that either the brand new fuel pump went dead or something more serious. I've given up. I am calling the tow company tomorrow to have it towed to our BMW mechanic. In any case, thank you for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. I will post back with the results of the mechanics findings.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the OBD is throwing no codes. I was getting a 1444 followed by a 1000.

Last edited by johnbyebye; 12-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 PM

It was the fuel pump. It didn't even last 5 minutes, LOL. Fortunately I was able to return the bad pump to O'Reilly's and get a full refund. While the car was at the mechanic the air mass sensor started to go haywire, so they replaced that also. 900 bucks later, I'm just glad it's running well again.