Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325, 2011 335d
Post Spare Tire for the 335D

As a proud owner of a 2011 D w/sport pkg. one of my issues have always been the spare tire absence, and I know we have runflats but if any of you do the winter set up or decided to use non-runflats the lack of a spare tire kind of bothers me. (Especially in long out of town trips)

I wanted to get a spare but remember reading that our front brakes are much bigger and that you could not just put any tire or compact spate. So I contacted the folks at Bavarian auto and asked specifically for the 335d w/sport suspension how can I get a compact spare that would fit.

They replied back and told me that their spare tire kit was designed using the compact spare from the X3 (a 17 inch – "donut"). That would work for me, as in the back of my mind I wanted the lowest dimensions and weight. After all is a temporary spare to "get me home".

Decided to order the kit ($340.00) that includes the jack, lug wrench and chock and tested the setup….. It works!!! and the tire is very small (26" diameter by 5" thick)
Yes the compact (donuts) spares are ugly but ….. Will get you out of a tight spot!

Enjoy

Pedro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparetire1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	303388   Click image for larger version

Name:	sparetire2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	303389  

Loving Life!

Last edited by pedser; 12-03-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Yes Tischer (getbmwparts.com) sells a spare tire kit also for the e9x. It's designed for the 5 series but works on the e9x.

I run non RFT's and don't have a spare, just Conti Comfort Kit, BMW Road Side Assistance and AAA as a back ups.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 S4
I got that kit from Tischer 2 years back. It is a regular tire so can be driven for long distances slowly if needed. I run RFTs but once you drive on them with zero psi they are done. Each costing $300-$400 is not a small change. In case of a flat RFTs can be patched same as regular tire on the contact point not the sidewall. But if you get the TPMS warning you have to pull over right away when there is still air in the tire and put on the spare.

I also read stories where people on vacation getting a flat and waiting 2-3 days for the local dealer to order an RFT because they didn't have one in stock. Not a pleasant way to spend your time off waiting for a tire to arrive. I just wish that BMW provided a hole in the trunk for the donut. There is a lonngg thread on regular e90 forum about this topic.

Last edited by stoked335d; 12-03-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Pedro llamame o PM me, Chris I did a search at the website and could not find it. help me on this ok. Im now running 19"VMR710 with Avus tires and running scared even though I bought the SLIME thing and air pressure pump
Old 12-11-2011, 04:16 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Can you show pics of how you will store it in the trunk? thanks.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325, 2011 335d
Axel, will call you at work tomorrow and send you a link for the kit. - will post a pic for the trunk ( ugly, actually .... Temporarily In a plastic bag, but it's very thin 5" thick so it does not take a lot of space.

Pedro

Loving Life!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Can you show pics of how you will store it in the trunk? thanks.
ditto
Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 AM

Pedro call me at my cell I'll be working at VA Hospital today 787-459-4518. Hurry up I need the link Im scared ****less LOL, you know how bad our roads are down here!!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Axel you can find it here... http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 AM

Gracias!! Chris. Whoa $315 plus shipping, damn thats high but, knowing how CHEAPO I am I guess I'll go hunting for one at a junk yard LOL!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Hi Everyone,
just came across this thread and wanted to let you guys know that we have the space saver spare tire in stock
Do take a look at:
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-E90-KIT.html
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM

I am currently debating whether to get new rims and ditch RFT and Stock 18" 195 rims. If anyone wants to use full size as spare PM me. I will soon put up feeler thread too.

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
I am currently debating whether to get new rims and ditch RFT and Stock 18" 195 rims. If anyone wants to use full size as spare PM me. I will soon put up feeler thread too.
Bimmer, I just changed over to non-RFTs. A good choice for me. The RFTs are a real compromise all so you don't have to get out of your car to use a repair kit or change a tire. Certainly can make sense for many folks. I prefer to have a better ride everyday and maybe, one chance in a few thousand, I might have to deal with a flat tire.

I kept my original 18" rims. They are 8.5" in front and 9.0" rears.

I'll invest in a slime kit for piece of mind.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:11 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yup, runflats got to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Bimmer, I just changed over to non-RFTs. A good choice for me. The RFTs are a real compromise all so you don't have to get out of your car to use a repair kit or change a tire. Certainly can make sense for many folks. I prefer to have a better ride everyday and maybe, one chance in a few thousand, I might have to deal with a flat tire.

I kept my original 18" rims. They are 8.5" in front and 9.0" rears.

I'll invest in a slime kit for piece of mind.

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
I'm taking a slightly different angle on getting the compact spare for my M-sport 335D. I ordered the 17X4 wheel from getbmwparts.com. My car has 225/40 R18 on front and 255/35 R18 on rear. This works out to 25.087" and 25.028" diameters for front and rear respectively. The kit shown up earlier in the thread uses a 135/80 R17 tire on the 17x4 rim. This works out to 25.504" for the kitted spare. This is a little too tall in my book compared to the M-sport tires. The rear tire is .476" shorter than the 135/80 R17 compact spare. I have ordered a 145/70R17 from Maxxis which works out to 24.992" tall. This is quite a bit closer with the spare being 0.094" shorter than the front and 0.035" shorter than the rear. I was wanting to do the kit for cheaper anyway than $365 shipped ($315 in parts +$50 shipping). I plan to get a scissor jack from the junkyard and an inexpensive 17 mm tire iron. I will even put some heat shrink on the tire iron to not scratch the nice M sport wheels. I have been using the scissor jack fom my old Honda to do tire rotations (left to right since my wheels are staggered in size). I just use a piece of wood under the "jack spot" and the wood doesn't harm them. I will stow the scissor jack under the spare. My solution is working out to cost $82 for the wheel (shipped) and $139 for the tire (shipped). I did get nailed for state tax on the Tire as it apparently is stocked in Texas. Discount tire will mount and balance for $16. Grand total will be ~ $248 and the spare will be near perfect height too. I had read on m3post.com where those guys were using the 18x5 spare rim from an X5 and a maxxis tire in the 135/70 R18. they got them for $86 +$10 shipping. This was in 2008 though. the maxxis people say rubber costs more as oil is higher now so I can't get the spare for anything less than what i stated. The kit described above uses a continental 135/80R17 which goes for around the same ~$130-$135 range. I did check the BMW jack cost on the getbmwparts.com website and they wanted ~$77. I might try to find the right one at a junkyard or get it off of ebay. I will let you guys know how it comes out and perhaps post a side by side picture up next to my front M-sport tire/wheel assy. Out
Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 AM
hang up and drive!

BB Cuda,

Sounds like your tire sizes are same as the sport. I just increased my front to 235mm when I changed out to the non-RFTs.

I understood that you really shouldn't switch tires left/right, especially if they are steel belted radials. Something to do with how the belts seat down in the rubber in a single direction and then if you reverse that they could work loose. (worth researching).

In fact the RFTs are directional so you certainly couldn't switch them left to right or you would be going in opposite direction.

I understand the M's don't have RFTs. Is that true?

The trunk really doesn't have a good place to put a spare, or for that matter my bottle of slime and emergency compressor. I need to come up with some sort of storage or netting to keep this stuff in place back there. Anybody have any thoughts or designs on that? Where are you planning to keep the spare tied down at?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 AM

Flyingman,
I have heard the old addage of keeping a radial on the same sid of the car to not mess with the "break direction" of the steel belt too. I spoke with the sales guy who owns a 335i with sport. He first told me the official BMW speel of keeping a tire where it was installed for the whole life. After my purchase, he privately told me he has the left to right done to keep the saw tooth wear in check. I purchased my M sport with 6200 miles as a used service loaner and saw tooth was going on at that point. I switched sides and about 1000 miles later the saw tooth was gone. I'm okay with this to attempt to get 20k miles out of the the really soft OEM tires (140 treadwear rating!!).

I worked in an auto center as a young man while in college and it seemed like it was the flavor of the month as sals advisors would flip flop as to wether switching sides was okay or not. I have had no issues with flipping radials as long as they are not directional. Tires are directional for water shedding reasons. The run flats i have have no markings saying they are directional. they are the bridgestones ... wish they were the Michelin pilot PS2s. I will milk them until 20k maybe 22k.

I'm hunting for a scissor jack (see my thread please about X5 jacks) as i don't like the weird one for sedans. I've been using the Honda scissor with a little piece of wood with no issue. I just want a jack that nessles up inside the rectangular jack points we have. I'm hoping the E53 X5 has the same size cavity. I have posted over in the X5/E53 area to try to get a straight story.

To answer your question, my M sport D does have runflats. Also, our trunks are small but having a spare is critical so I'm adapting and will have to stow some luggage in the rear area when on a long trip. Won't be perfect but better than being stranded waiting 2 days for a tire to be ordered and shipped.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 01-21-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: answered the questions
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Hi guys. How are you securing the spare in the trunk? I will ditch run flats as soon as new tires are needed, but don't like the idea of a loose 30-40 pound object in my trunk at all times...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Supporting Vendor

most people strap it down (you can get the straps at your local home depot or your favorite hardware store)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgmdad View Post
Hi guys. How are you securing the spare in the trunk? I will ditch run flats as soon as new tires are needed, but don't like the idea of a loose 30-40 pound object in my trunk at all times...

Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM

D hooks location

I have seen where some people use tie downs originating form D hooks on the driver and passenger side "flanks" of the trunk. The trunks are forward within the trunk. My D only has "D" hooks (no pun intended promise) on the aft wall of the trunk. I have used a rubber stretchy strap to go from the 1st D ring, through the wheel center and back to the other D ring. So, the tire won't fly forward if i nail the brakes. It is a pain in the arse doing it this way though as I have to put grocery bags on the front side of the spare.

Can someone show me a pic of their trunk with these other D hook locations please? I will go post a pic of my less optimal setup. I know neither one is great for our smallish 3 series trunks.

Update on the jack: I bought a scissor on Ebay from a salvage company in Georgia. 5 days later a jack shows up that is for a Pontiac Vibe. I contacted the place and he says sorry they sent the wrong jack and they don't have an X5 jack afterall. They gave immediate $50 refund and told me to keep the Vibe jack. So, here I go again. I bought another one in the Los Angeles area and it will arrive on next Monday. Glad I don't have a road trip planned for this weekend. I weighed the spare tire/wheel combo. 31.5 lbs using 17x4 steel wheel and T145/70R17 Maxxis tire.

I will have an extra X5 jack handle if anyone wants to buy it. $15 +shipping. Let's wait until Monday's shipment comes before i sell. I will have to go over to classifieds to do it (their is a classifieds section right?).

Last edited by BB_cuda; 02-02-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added jack detail
Old 02-05-2012, 06:04 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Flyingman,
I have heard the old addage of keeping a radial on the same sid of the car to not mess with the "break direction" of the steel belt too. I spoke with the sales guy who owns a 335i with sport. He first told me the official BMW speel of keeping a tire where it was installed for the whole life. After my purchase, he privately told me he has the left to right done to keep the saw tooth wear in check. I purchased my M sport with 6200 miles as a used service loaner and saw tooth was going on at that point. I switched sides and about 1000 miles later the saw tooth was gone. I'm okay with this to attempt to get 20k miles out of the the really soft OEM tires (140 treadwear rating!!).

I worked in an auto center as a young man while in college and it seemed like it was the flavor of the month as sals advisors would flip flop as to wether switching sides was okay or not. I have had no issues with flipping radials as long as they are not directional. Tires are directional for water shedding reasons. The run flats i have have no markings saying they are directional. they are the bridgestones ... wish they were the Michelin pilot PS2s. I will milk them until 20k maybe 22k.

I'm hunting for a scissor jack (see my thread please about X5 jacks) as i don't like the weird one for sedans. I've been using the Honda scissor with a little piece of wood with no issue. I just want a jack that nessles up inside the rectangular jack points we have. I'm hoping the E53 X5 has the same size cavity. I have posted over in the X5/E53 area to try to get a straight story.

To answer your question, my M sport D does have runflats. Also, our trunks are small but having a spare is critical so I'm adapting and will have to stow some luggage in the rear area when on a long trip. Won't be perfect but better than being stranded waiting 2 days for a tire to be ordered and shipped.
Cuda, my B/S OEM RFTs had a directional arrow on them, why are yours different? It is rather suttle as I recall.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:52 AM

they are the bridgestone REO50s. I'll go look real close again. thanks FM

Last edited by BB_cuda; 02-05-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, 540i, M Roadster
Here is a picture of my trunk with D rings added to the trunk floor. The arrangement is very secure and has not shifted.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
That appears to take up a lot more room than I would have thought. How much space is in between the back of the backseat and the tire? Strange that they did away with the hooks at some point. My car has the two aft hooks and then two forward ones as well, not that I ever have had a need for them and did not even notice them until today actually.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM

no directional marking on my bridgestones

F/M,
Not calling you a liar, i just don't see them. If this were the case, wouldn't the tires be sold as right side and left side only? I just see a marking that says "outside" as the tire is asymmetric in design. The 3000 mile switch wore the saw tooth wear back down flat and now i have rotated back to the way the car was delivered to me for 300 miles.

@snipe, can you please take a photo of where your forward D rings are installed? I'm hoping i can just immitate the 2009 way (your yr model) of doing it. Apparently, 2011 models only get rings on the aft wall (be it a short wall). . I have secured to these aft rings but that causes me to have to load groceries forward of the spare which is a little bit of a pain (or else take the truck to the grocery store).
thanks, BB

Last edited by BB_cuda; 02-07-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: I'm spelling challenged