Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 118d se
Diesel particular filter???

Hi, newbie here. I have a 118d se 2008 model. It has recently been in the garage with diesel particular malfunction.. It is sorted now, lucky for me it regenerated, which all sounds like doctor who language to me. Ive just been reading the manuel it's saying in the cold weather to use winter fuel... Now I've never heard of winter fuel b4 let alone seen it at the pumps.. Also has anyone else read that shells fuel save diesel is not suitable for engines with these filters.. Can someone enlighten please?.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggieltd View Post
Hi, newbie here. I have a 118d se 2008 model. It has recently been in the garage with diesel particular malfunction.. It is sorted now, lucky for me it regenerated, which all sounds like doctor who language to me. Ive just been reading the manuel it's saying in the cold weather to use winter fuel... Now I've never heard of winter fuel b4 let alone seen it at the pumps.. Also has anyone else read that shells fuel save diesel is not suitable for engines with these filters.. Can someone enlighten please?.
You might try the diesel section for a better chance of getting an answer. No one in N. America has the 4 cylinder diesel BMW. We only get the 3.0 six. However, your question is mostly about fuel. I can't speak to what fuel in the UK is like but in the US, most states especially in the north require the sale of special winter diesel in the cold months. This has special additives that prevent gelling of the fuel when temps get below freezing. Without those additives diesel has the tendency to gel which can gum up parts like the fuel filter etc.

I don't know what the situation is like in the UK since temps don't often get below freezing, at least not for very long.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 118d se
Thanks for the reply. I will go and check out the diesel section too. I recall last service that there was too much oil in the car,i only know because I read through the paper work. I asked them about it and they said they look into it. I believe this has been a major factor with that filter,but I just need to do some homework first..Last winter was severe,my car read minus 17c, which is extreme and rare for us, Iam on the welsh boarder near Shrewsbury Thanks again.