Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe
Bluetooth Music Streaming (A2DP)

Hey guys,

I've seen folks on this forum asking about bluetooth streaming and some claim its not possible. I found a device which will enable us to stream the music on ours iPhone/iPods wirelessly to our cars if you have any kind of iPod integration kit. Assuming you don't have A2DP functionality already (only newer bimmers do), you can use the AnyStream to do just that. Here is the website and further info: http://www.cartronics.com/POM.html

650i Mods list:
Lumma Roof Spoiler
19" Miro M6 Replica Wheels
H&R Spacers - 10mm Front, 20mm Rear
MGP Custom Caliper Covers
M6 Custom Steering
SMG M6 Illuminated Paddle Shifter Retrofit
DCT Illuminated Shifter
14K HID Upgrade, White Angel-eyes, LED License Plate Lights
50% Huper Optik Ceramic Tints
OEM iPod Integration
-------------------------------------
In the Garage
BMW 650i
MB C63 AMG
Nissan Murano SL-AWD
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

btw, thats not the only one. Here are a few more:

Sprint FIFO
iSkin Cerulean
Music Link

If you're wondering what the advantage of these systems are (besides wireless streaming of course), think of the constant power supply to your device through the wired integration kit. Since the OEM kits provides a constant power supply, you're essentially charging your iPhone or iPod constantly and that can reduce its battery life significantly. As a matter of fact every manufacturer cautions against leaving a phone on charge after its been charged 100%. I killed my iPhone 3Gs's battery doing just that and don't plan on making the same mistake twice with my 4s. I've just ordered the AnyStream and will keep you updated.

650i Mods list:
Lumma Roof Spoiler
M6 Custom Steering
DCT Illuminated Shifter
OEM iPod Integration
In the Garage
BMW 650i
MB C63 AMG
Nissan Murano SL-AWD

Last edited by Di0nysu5; 12-04-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
I will be very interested to see how good the quality is on this streaming device. I use a Motorola T605 bluetooth car kit in my company car to stream music from my Android phone to the Auxiliary input of the car. By the way, for those that want to stream audio that do not have an Iphone and who do have an Aux in connection this is an alternative. You can buy the T605 all day on ebay for $25. I could never get good results with the Motorola and my Wife's Iphone, it sounded terrible.

While it is pretty good with my Android I find that the bluetooth streaming in general results in pretty low quality audio, however 90% of my use for the A2DP in my company car is for Audiobooks so the quality is not critical. I also use A2DP headphones and the quality is OK, but they are pretty low fidelity and I use them at the gym so I don't expect much.

Please do review how this unit works, I am real curious. The part that I had issue with on bluetooth streaming was some of the quality loss in the higher frequencies. I thought of getting the Blackberry Stereo Gateway, which also is only for use with an Aux in connection, but never got around to it. The AnyStream could be a great find since it offers wireless stream and Head Unit control of the Ipod.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=a2dp

Last edited by tampamark; 12-04-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
I will be very interested to see how good the quality is on this streaming device. I use a Motorola T605 bluetooth car kit in my company car to stream music from my Android phone to the Auxiliary input of the car. By the way, for those that want to stream audio that do not have an Iphone and who do have an Aux in connection this is an alternative. You can buy the T605 all day on ebay for $25. I could never get good results with the Motorola and my Wife's Iphone, it sounded terrible.

While it is pretty good with my Android I find that the bluetooth streaming in general results in pretty low quality audio, however 90% of my use for the A2DP in my company car is for Audiobooks so the quality is not critical. I also use A2DP headphones and the quality is OK, but they are pretty low fidelity and I use them at the gym so I don't expect much.

Please do review how this unit works, I am real curious. The part that I had issue with on bluetooth streaming was some of the quality loss in the higher frequencies. I thought of getting the Blackberry Stereo Gateway, which also is only for use with an Aux in connection, but never got around to it. The AnyStream could be a great find since it offers wireless stream and Head Unit control of the Ipod.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=a2dp
will report back

650i Mods list:
Lumma Roof Spoiler
M6 Custom Steering
DCT Illuminated Shifter
OEM iPod Integration
In the Garage
BMW 650i
MB C63 AMG
Nissan Murano SL-AWD
Old 01-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Ducati fills my BMW's gap

Mein Auto: '05 645ci
Updates?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

Review

oops, sorry I completely forgot to update this post Thanks for the reminder. Alright, this was tested on an iPhone 4s and so I can't guarantee it will work on other phones. Quality wise its just ok. Not as crisp as the OEM wired kit but way better than my Monster Cable FM transmitter. Every once in a while you can hear a very faint static which puzzles me. Did some research online and it sounds like the device does not use some sort of "high data transfer rate" technology present in newer A2DP devices. I can't for the life of me remember what the technology is called. Anyway, sound wise I would rate it a 3 or 3.5 on a scale of 1-5. It definitely has room for improvement. Just a heads up, If you're a sound junkie, you may not like it.

Functionality is great. You can switch tracks, play, pause, control volume, etc. from the steering controls. You can't see track info on the screen like you would when connected via the wired kit however. So to select tracks and albums, you'll have to do it from the iPhone itself. Functionality rating, a solid 4 in my books.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the device and wished I had found out about it long time ago before I killed my iPhone battery. Hope this helps. Btw, we can try for a group buy if anyone's interested. I need to buy another for my wife's car and wouldn't mind a discount if possible let me know...

650i Mods list:
Lumma Roof Spoiler
M6 Custom Steering
DCT Illuminated Shifter
OEM iPod Integration
In the Garage
BMW 650i
MB C63 AMG
Nissan Murano SL-AWD
Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
I purchased one from Amazon that has an 8 hour battery life and is specific a2dp streaming capable. It has been working great with my Motorola Android phone, plugged directly to the car's aux port. Does not stream the phone calls, just media, allowing the phone calls via in car factory Bluetooth or handset. Now if i could only figure a way to wire permanent USB power to the console so there would be no need for recharging?

Link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Last edited by JlMMY; 01-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

Why not a USB car charger? If not you'll have to wire it and pull the cable through the glovebox or something.

650i Mods list:
Lumma Roof Spoiler
M6 Custom Steering
DCT Illuminated Shifter
OEM iPod Integration
In the Garage
BMW 650i
MB C63 AMG
Nissan Murano SL-AWD
Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di0nysu5 View Post
btw, thats not the only one. Here are a few more:

Sprint FIFO
iSkin Cerulean
Music Link

If you're wondering what the advantage of these systems are (besides wireless streaming of course), think of the constant power supply to your device through the wired integration kit. Since the OEM kits provides a constant power supply, you're essentially charging your iPhone or iPod constantly and that can reduce its battery life significantly. As a matter of fact every manufacturer cautions against leaving a phone on charge after its been charged 100%. I killed my iPhone 3Gs's battery doing just that and don't plan on making the same mistake twice with my 4s. I've just ordered the AnyStream and will keep you updated.
With those products, I was wondering if plugging them into the pre wired usb in the armrest would work and if the oem non-idrive headunit would recognize them as usb? or would i have to just use the 3.5 jack. thanks!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di0nysu5 View Post
Why not a USB car charger? If not you'll have to wire it and pull the cable through the glovebox or something.
My 07 650i didn't come with the USB port? I think I am going to run a wire the length of the console to the cigarette lighter under the dash on the passenger's side.

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Old 01-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi Coupe
I have an 08 e92 with USB port - I bought the music link and it works fine on my bose soundock but in my car it cuts off after a few seconds. Looks like the car cuts the power to the unit or something. Similar thing happens when I try to connect it to a ipod dock to my stereo. But as I said earlier, it works perfectly on the sounddock. Has anyone tried the iskin? The cartronics looks identical to the musiclink so I am surprised it worked. I was guessing that the folks that made the cartronic and musiclink unit just bought a bulk shipment from http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/47..._for_iPod.html and branded it.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

**UPDATE**

Alright, so I've been having a lot of problems with the AnyStream device in the 6er. It works flawlessly in the C63 Mercedes but when I try to use it in the bimmer, half the time it gives me an error saying no compatible devices found or something like that. I've been going back and forth with the guys from Cartronics and the latest email said they were aware of the BMW compatibility issues and are working on the firmware to fix the problem. As off now, the new version might be available in April they claim.

Bottom Line: If you're thinking about getting one, I would hold off until April. I'll be returning mine on Monday and reordering it in April. hopefully they find a fix.

650i Mods list:
Lumma Roof Spoiler
M6 Custom Steering
DCT Illuminated Shifter
OEM iPod Integration
In the Garage
BMW 650i
MB C63 AMG
Nissan Murano SL-AWD
Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

iSkin Cerulean RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurslippy View Post
I have an 08 e92 with USB port - I bought the music link and it works fine on my bose soundock but in my car it cuts off after a few seconds. Looks like the car cuts the power to the unit or something. Similar thing happens when I try to connect it to a ipod dock to my stereo. But as I said earlier, it works perfectly on the sounddock. Has anyone tried the iskin? The cartronics looks identical to the musiclink so I am surprised it worked. I was guessing that the folks that made the cartronic and musiclink unit just bought a bulk shipment from http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/47..._for_iPod.html and branded it.
I found out that a friend had the iSkin Cerulean RX so I borrowed it and tried it out in my car and absolutely nothing. The 6's iPod integration kit doesn't even recognize it at all. So I can report for sure that it doesn't work.

650i Mods list:
Lumma Roof Spoiler
M6 Custom Steering
DCT Illuminated Shifter
OEM iPod Integration