Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 AM
DaveBMW2 DaveBMW2 is offline
Registered User
Location: brampton
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: g35 sedan
M3 or M5 Opinions???

Well I thought I had my mind set on getting a M3 and I found this 2008 Alpine White M3 sedan with 43,400km for $52,950. Well thanks to autotrader with matching all the M cars into the same category, right underneath the M3 thumbnail, they had this nice looking 2008 Interlagos Blue M5 with 59,000km's for $49,995. Now I'm finding it difficult to choose.

Here are the links
M3 =http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/MILTON/Ontario/5_11510184_20110304063946741/
M5=http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/ETOBICOKE/Ontario/5_12076750_ON20080514104143172/

I'm planning on keeping it stock and if I even do get bitten by the mod bug, it'll mostly be cosmetic mods. And I was just wanting some opinions on this question? Go with the 2 extra cylinders and extra 100hp while having 17,000km more. Or just say who gives a rat's a** to the extra power/cylinders with less km. Which one would you choose?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 AM
650 Ryder's Avatar
650 Ryder 650 Ryder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 756
Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
The M5 is the oldest of the body styles but still looks good. It will soon look dated once you start seeing the new M5 on the streets. The E90 M3 is no longer in production and should hold value and looks longer. From a mod standpoint, the M3 has more available options. I guess it boils down to the added HP and creature comforts. The M5 will have more creature comforts and that's usually important in a sedan based car. Now from a drivers perspective I would role the M3. So here's my suggestion.......if you plan on commuting all the time (M5), but if you plan on driving you gotta get the ///M3....and yes I am biased and for good reasons ........................Phil
__________________

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK

Last edited by 650 Ryder; 12-06-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
335i 335i is offline
Sup3rman
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBMW2 View Post
Well I thought I had my mind set on getting a M3 and I found this 2008 Alpine White M3 sedan with 43,400km for $52,950. Well thanks to autotrader with matching all the M cars into the same category, right underneath the M3 thumbnail, they had this nice looking 2008 Interlagos Blue M5 with 59,000km's for $49,995. Now I'm finding it difficult to choose.

Here are the links
M3 =http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/MILTON/Ontario/5_11510184_20110304063946741/
M5=http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/ETOBICOKE/Ontario/5_12076750_ON20080514104143172/

I'm planning on keeping it stock and if I even do get bitten by the mod bug, it'll mostly be cosmetic mods. And I was just wanting some opinions on this question? Go with the 2 extra cylinders and extra 100hp while having 17,000km more. Or just say who gives a rat's a** to the extra power/cylinders with less km. Which one would you choose?
Just me, but for the same price, I'd take an M5. Extra 100 hp? Yes please.
__________________
2011 ///M3 Sedan Alpine White/Bamboo Beige/Piano Black ED 9/16/2011
2011 X5d Alpine White/Cinnamon/Bamboo PCD 6/21/2010




2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Kurt_OH's Avatar
Kurt_OH Kurt_OH is offline
First Timer
Location: Columbus, Ohio
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 765
Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
I'd choose the M5, if I didn't plan on driving great distances. That 17mpg hwy mileage is gonna hurt if you do it a lot.

Not only is BMW not using the V10 any more, but almost NO ONE makes one, and other than the truck engine in the Viper, they're all super expensive exotics.

You'll get outstanding performance, including braking and handling, stupid acceleration/speed, along with a lot of comfort and class.


This from an M3 owner ...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
X5 Tall Guy X5 Tall Guy is offline
Registered User
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 Xdrive 3.5d
Although I own neither of the cars in question, I have driven both on the track and on public roads. My opinion would be to get the M3. They are both very special cars, but the M5 never felt happy unless I was running it hard. Though running the M5 hard is a lot of fun, it is not practical (nor legal) in everyday driving. The M3 felt equally happy runnning to the grocery store as it did hauling around the track. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 PM
The Other Tom The Other Tom is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,946
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I've driven both on the track and to me the M3 feels more sporty than the M5. The M5 is a larger car feels like a ...well, larger car. The M3 felt more connected to the road and I liked the engine note better. You should drive both and see which you like best.
__________________
2008 335i
2001 325i retired
2000 M Roadster Imola Red retired
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Kurt_OH's Avatar
Kurt_OH Kurt_OH is offline
First Timer
Location: Columbus, Ohio
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 765
Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
I've driven both on the track and to me the M3 feels more sporty than the M5. The M5 is a larger car feels like a ...well, larger car. The M3 felt more connected to the road and I liked the engine note better. You should drive both and see which you like best.
I completely agree. M3 is a sports car; M5 is a very high performance sports sedan.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
kmorgan_260 kmorgan_260 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Salem, WV
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 751
Mein Auto: 1997 528i
You wouldn't need any performance mods for either of those vehicles, but especially not the M5. All of the M cars are seriously cool. I even like the old M coupe. Good luck with your decision.
__________________

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM
CliffJumper CliffJumper is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 617
Mein Auto: 09 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
Just me, but for the same price, I'd take an M5. Extra 100 hp? Yes please.
Have you actually driven both? The weight of the M5 and the crappy SMG transmission (which most of them are) easily cancel out the extra 100HP. For anything other than very long freeway cruising, I'd take the M3 any day, regardless of price.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
dalekressin's Avatar
dalekressin dalekressin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,007
Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffJumper View Post
Have you actually driven both? The weight of the M5 and the crappy SMG transmission (which most of them are) easily cancel out the extra 100HP. For anything other than very long freeway cruising, I'd take the M3 any day, regardless of price.
M3 for me unless I was travelling 1000 miles plus.
__________________
94 530i sold (That was difficult for me)
01 530i >144,500+ miles SOLD
06 330XI winter's especially fun drive (SOLD)
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-10-2011, 05:15 PM
blackbeast535 blackbeast535 is offline
Registered User
Location: MD
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: E90 M3 Jerez Black 6MT
I came out of an E60 535 into a E90 M3. If you really need the room then go M5. But remember it's a V10. Most people average 10MPG. I love the size of and handling of my M3. Test drive both and then make your decision.
__________________
BMW CCA Member, 08 E90 M3 6MT Jerez Black/Bamboo Beige Novillo

E60 535i retired
E39 525i retired
E46 323ci retired
E36 325is retired
E28 533i retired
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 PM
mujjuman mujjuman is offline
tappa tappa toit
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,692
Mein Auto: hoopty
M5 if you need a larger cruising car that will turn into a monster when you want it. M3 if you want a smaller but still roomy crzy SOB of a car.
__________________
mujjuman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms