Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
With the cars that far apart in their capabilities - one comfy, awd with a big engine, the other somewhat high strung and firm, I'm not so sure the comparison is about the cars. I'd say you'll need to prioritize and value what each offers, and what you want/need from a car. THEN choose cars that fit.
+1, plus for me when you look at a potential purchase of a new (to you maybe) vehicle, it is important to speculate on how you will use the car. Around here, M3's generally get put away for the winter. I don't believe we get winters like the OP in Montreal....and they don't come out.... are you going to use an e9x M3 as a daily driver in a northern snow country area? Really?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpup View Post
+1, plus for me when you look at a potential purchase of a new (to you maybe) vehicle, it is important to speculate on how you will use the car. Around here, M3's generally get put away for the winter. I don't believe we get winters like the OP in Montreal....and they don't come out.... are you going to use an e9x M3 as a daily driver in a northern snow country area? Really?
He he he

My Blizzak LM-60's are being shipped as we speak

Hell, you can drive 911's in the winter on the right tires... 4-wheel drive is over-rated, it's stopping that counts most, in any season!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegretto View Post
He he he

Hell, you can drive 911's in the winter on the right tires... 4-wheel drive is over-rated, it's stopping that counts most, in any season!
Careful now, many 911's now have AWD...., but I agree with you about the virtues of true snows on each corner, but still the tourque and power of the e9x M3 seems like too much to me to consider.....some might, but it would be a toy car to me.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
I'm keeping my beater for the bad weather. Even if * I * could pull off getting around in my M3, I have close to zero confidence in the "driving" public at large in good weather, much less when it's the winter crud.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Cv
Quote:
Careful now, many 911's now have AWD...., but I agree with you about the virtues of true snows on each corner, but still the tourque and power of the e9x M3 seems like too much to me to consider.....some might, but it would be a toy car to me.
Owned quite a few 911's and always liked the 2WD's better, though have had some 4's.

The 2's do well too as long as you have appropriate rubber.

C&D did a test a few years back and I'm sure many here have read it. Bottom line was 4WD was much less important than rubber. And as stated, it's all about stopping...

The M3 is a truly wonderful beast. More personalities than a transsexual paranoid schizophrenic. An I'm quite sure she'll be very manageable with good ice/snows unless one lives rural, in which case you do need an alternate.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Not necessarily a daily driver for all - but for many - hell yah with the proper rubber!

After all these cars originate in Germany - not exactly a non winter country.

Besides Canadians can drive anything in winter - no wimps here
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired