Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Zionsville Radiator and Aux Fan Delete

Wondering if anyone has done both a E39 Zionsville Super Duty Cooling Kit II and an aux fan delete? If you go to the Zionsville web site, they offer the aux fan delete option for the E36 but not the E39. Perhaps the E36 has a better cooling system than the E39??

I like the idea of deleting both the clutch fan and the aux fan but am hesitant since Zionsville web site does not have it as an option for the E39. Probably safer to select one of the two fan options (single speed or two speed) and keep the aux.

BTW, I have 121K miles on my original cooling system, so I plan to do this soon.

Live in a fairly cool part of country, Connecticut.
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: DINAN 540
I put the zionsville radiator with the single speed fan, I did'nt delete the aux fan in front I just took off the clutch fan and replaced it with a electric fan. I believe it is worth every penny, plus it looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hgf.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	304128  
Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,

Last edited by matt540; 12-08-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 03 530i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt540 View Post
I put the zionsville radiator with the single speed fan, I did'nt delete the aux fan in front I just took off the clutch fan and replaced it with a electric fan. I believe it is worth every penny, plus it looks good.
I gave the Zionsville serious consideration and only after hearing about a lot of aluminum radiator early failures and difficulty repairing leaks, decided to just go with the OE type replacement. Got 98,000 miles of service out of the stock one, so why spring for the Zionsville, I thought.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Getting the Zionsville is a tough decision!

Matt540 - Nice photo. Just starting to think about the wire hook up. When you get a chance, could you show or describe where you got your power (12v for motor and 12v ignition-on). For the temp sensor switch, how is the wire shared with what is already at the sensor. I have a 530 so it may be different. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCT View Post

Matt540 - Nice photo. Just starting to think about the wire hook up. When you get a chance, could you show or describe where you got your power (12v for motor and 12v ignition-on). For the temp sensor switch, how is the wire shared with what is already at the sensor. I have a 530 so it may be different. Thanks.
I have done electric fan conversion the OEM way. Here are some pics. I can do this to the local guys for a small fee.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shroud2.jpg
Views:	1514
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	304171   Click image for larger version

Name:	528_electric2.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	304172  
Old 12-10-2011, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: e39 6-speed supercharged
I have had cooling problems with my E38 and E39, replacing the entire cooling system seemed to do the trick each time, except for having lost 3 OEM fans since the updates. 1 on the E38 and 2 on the E39, with the second causing a lot of damage. BLEW apart the OEM shroud and lost every blade on the fan, along with one of those impaling my all aluminum Griffith Radiator(a $600 ouch) and a nice dimple in the hood as a friendly reminder.

So, from here on out I am done with mechanical fans and plan on electrifying it! The plastic endtanks on OEM radiators are a def weak point as displayed in my E38, when the upper radiator hose connection shot out of the tank with it still clamped in the hose, and closer inspection showed that the reinforced nylon was brittle and found more hairline cracks in other places. This WAS after 100k mi and 11yrs of age! But 2 OEM fans of a similar material and age and 1 new one of similar OEM material failing make me wary of OEM parts.

Also, this E39 is the 6speed but with a VF Engineering supercharger, I like the thought of an all aluminum set up, so I'm opting for this: http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...e/E389SDCK.htm

I completely agree it is expensive, YET, worth every penny cause I plan on keeping my E39 til we run out of fuel worldwide, even then, I wont have to worry about buying a coffin as I'll be buried in it . That means I will reap benefits of longevity and efficiency plus it looks frickin sweet!!

Last edited by lovnmye39; 12-10-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: e39 6-speed supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt540 View Post
Fricken sweet!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Does that electric fan fit in the m62's? where did you get that?

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I did Project with the help of a DIY i got off this web site when I could'nt figure out where to get the power to turn the electric fan.
Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,
Old 12-15-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Does that electric fan fit in the m62's? where did you get that?
The electric fan I have came with the kit.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
came with the kit FRom?

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"
Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
I installed the Zionsville radiator and a Flex-a-Lite slim line fan inside the BMW shroud about 4 years ago.
Power for the fan circuit comes from the battery post on top of the valve cover and from the diagnostic port.
I made a PWM speed controller with a thermistor to sense temp which will vary the fan speed.
It's much quieter than the 747 OEM fan.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: m3
very nice. this is my current project. even have a spare shroud so i can take my time drilling and mounting the slimline fans just like yours
Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Wondering if anyone has done both a E39 Zionsville Super Duty Cooling Kit II and an aux fan delete? If you go to the Zionsville web site, they offer the aux fan delete option for the E36 but not the E39. Perhaps the E36 has a better cooling system than the E39??

I like the idea of deleting both the clutch fan and the aux fan but am hesitant since Zionsville web site does not have it as an option for the E39. Probably safer to select one of the two fan options (single speed or two speed) and keep the aux.

BTW, I have 121K miles on my original cooling system, so I plan to do this soon.

Live in a fairly cool part of country, Connecticut.
You realize the 530 has very thin walls between cylinders, and also it takes the biggest damage in an overheat situation out of all the e39 lineup? I would reconsider that train of thought.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby