Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
iDrive rebooting while driving

Happened twice in the last week.

I'll be driving along, with my latest generation iPod Touch connected to the armest USB port and listening to music through it, and showing Nav + track info via split screen, as I normally do. The first time I had a problem, the audio stopped, and the iDrive screen flickered and the "BMW" splash screen appeared, and the system booted up again.

The second time, yesterday, I was driving and the screen suddenly went black. Audio was still playing. Controls were non-responsive. At a stop light, I put the car into park, and turned off the car (pushed start/stop button twice), and then started it up again. Startup was fine, BMW splash screen hit and stayed on for a loooong time (making me suspect that it might be fsck'ing in the background, or something) but after 2 minutes, I finally got the warning message and clicked accept.

If it happens again, to the dealer I go. Hopefully the internal computer is linux and dumps core, or logs appropriately, and someone can see what's going on. But are BMW auto repair people sysadmins? Hmm.

Anyone have this happen yet?

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M6 F12
No, but read about it on another forum, maybe germancarforum, maybe bimmerpost. From what I remember it's not linux, but windows of some sort.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
I remember a thread with a rebooting CIC that was solved by replacing the computer unit.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Thanks. Will watch. Probably want to backup my profile soon just in case.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: MY2011 F10 520D
Angry

Hi

i posted this same problem about 2 weeks ago. Car came back from the dealer after 6 days (including a weekend) with what appears to be a new hard drive. I say this as all my music previously stored was gone but I could be wrong. The dealer did tell me that both a hardware replacement and some software programming took place.

It is already booked back into the dealer. Seems that whatever was done to repair resulted in satellite maps and perspective in 3D to be disabled and no way to activate it from the CIC menu.

I really hope this will not become a habit.

Cheers,
S