Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 - 750Li
Sorry for all the newbie questions! What is the TCU and where it's is located? I have not open out the left quarter panel yet, only see the Navigation DVD at the left panel little door! BTW, what is the MOST cable to loop it thru the MOST Bus? If you don't mind, can you give me the part number? Sorry, if I'm asking too much!!!

Last edited by andyn63; 07-17-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
The TCU is the Tele-Communications Unit located in the rear left quarter. You have to remove the entire left cover, not just open the flap to get access to it. The second part of your question I don't really understand what you mean the TCU is already on the MOST-Bus

In this diagram, U400 is the TCU.

Last edited by AceFX; 07-17-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Design of MOST network.........(Media Orientated System Transport)

The MOST network is a bus for transmitting picture and audio data. In the E65, only audio data and control commands are transmitted. Bus communication functions in one direction. The control units are connected in series in the bus. The bus has a ring structure. If the temperature exceeds 70 °C in a device in the network, the Control Display indicates that the corresponding functions are no longer available. The entire MOST bus is powered down if the temperature exceeds 85 °C. Only the Control Display recognises the current application and its parameters such as the volume setting for listening to the radio. The Audio System Controller stores information regarding which control units are installed. This list of equipment can be called up in the Service menu of the Control Display. The equipment cannot be called up if the ring is interrupted. The Audio System Controller manages the audio sources by making available internal channels for outputting and by outputting the individual channel after being prompted by the Control Display. If the optional extra TOP Hi-Fi is fitted, the audio low frequency is recalculated prior to output and the improved audio low frequency is output.
Performance in event of ring break

If the MOST functions cannot be executed, this may be because of the following reasons:
*******>*******>********>********>
No function can be selected

Fibre-optic cable interrupted

Voltage supply of at least one control unit interrupted

Serious software conflict of at least one control unit

Chosen functions cannot be selected

Severe software conflict of the control unit associated with the function

No function, note on excessive temperature

At least one function has shut down due to excessive temperature

Function examples

The function examples always relate to the optional extra TOP Hi-Fi. If this equipment is not fitted, the audio data is not prepared in the amplifier. Instead, the audio data is prepared and output by the Audio System Controller.
Switching on the radio in stationary mode

The MOST is in the initial state "Bus asleep". Pressing the rotary pushbutton "Audio System Controller" wakes up the Audio System Controller. The Audio System Controller switches on the light on the bus. All the control units are woken in succession when the light is switched on. The Control Display recognises that the Audio System Controller has woken. In response, the Control Display requests the Audio System Controller to provide audio channels for the function "Radio on". At the same time, the aerial tuner is requested to provide the station list. The aerial tuner identifies the station that was received last and sets this station. The audio data of the station are made available to the Audio System Controller. With the check-back signal from the aerial tuner, the Audio System Controller makes the audio data available for output.
Adjusting the radio volume

The volume can be adjusted using the rotary control/push button on the Audio System Controller or the volume buttons on the multifunction steering wheel.
Example: Setting via ASK: Turning the button on the ASK transmits a change in status to the amplifier. The amplifier calculates the new parameters and outputs them. Without the TOP Hi-Fi optional extra, the ASK calculates the new audio parameters and outputs the sound. In this example, the "Radio" function is active at volume 10. There was a status change by one step. The ASK transmits a telegram to the amplifier with the volume status change. The amplifier recalculates the audio data and outputs them with minimal delay at its speakers. The amplifier simultaneously places the signals on the bus. The ASK outputs the calculated data at its speakers. When a control unit is restarted (after a crash), this may result in faults in the ASK's channel selection. If this fault occurs, a high-frequency sound is output which might be inaudible. The cause is located by searching for the fibre-optic cable communication fault. It is important to search for the fault in the right control-unit order. Beginning with the instrument cluster, the first control unit with a fault-memory entry is sought in the direction of the Control Display consecutively in accordance with the MOST connection scheme. The fault was caused by the previous control unit. Fault causes can be traced in the hardware or software of the relevant control unit or its predecessor.
Example: Adjusting via multifunction steering wheel: Pressing the button on the multifunction steering wheel sends a status message via CAN, Control Display and MOST to the ASK. The ASK checks this status and counts the volume value upwards as long as the status is active. The ASK makes each value available to the amplifier; the volume is thus increased continuously at the speakers.
Adjusting stations and tracks

Stations and tracks (search function) can be adjusted by means of the Audio System Controller auto search button, buttons on the multifunction steering wheel or menu prompting in the Control Display.
Example: Adjusting via multifunction steering wheel: The set state is "Listen to music via CD changer". The next track is to be played. A status change is generated by pressing the right button block on the multifunction steering wheel. This status change is forwarded via the CAN to the Control Display. The Control Display checks in its own administration and identifies the CD changer (CDC) as the current source. The Control Display issues the request for the next or previous track to the CD changer. The CD changer aligns itself to the new track and starts playing it. At the same time, the CD changer transmits the information back to the Control Display.
Picture and sound transmission

Composite colour picture or RGB ensures the transmission of picture information. An exception is the graphic navigation information in the instrument cluster. These graphics are vector graphics which are output as telegrams by the navigation system. Sound is always output by each control unit via the MOST and the Audio System Controller.

Last edited by AceFX; 07-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Lol ACE im going to get all the information uve posted all videos etc and put them in one big encyclopedia for bmw e65/66 and freaking sell it and make a lot of money. I hope u dont mind. Ill send u postcard every year for ur birthday lol. Deal? Hahaha.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
Lol ACE im going to get all the information uve posted all videos etc and put them in one big encyclopedia for bmw e65/66 and freaking sell it and make a lot of money. I hope u dont mind. Ill send u postcard every year for ur birthday lol. Deal? Hahaha.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

Hey CCCP .............as long as I get royalties
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFX View Post
Hey CCCP .............as long as I get royalties
Lol. Best i can do my friend is a postcard
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Wow
Old 07-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Banned

I want more than a POSTCARD.........

Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Major

Quote:
I want more than a POSTCARD.........

Hahahaha how bout rookie will send u one for xmass. Lol. Ok sorry ill stop going out of topic.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM

I think it has the TPU, I have not open yet the left panel, but I think I saw it thru the hole! If it has the TPU, what do I need ro install the DVD changer? Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342638232.830568.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	333309   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342638271.435207.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	333310   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342638310.532196.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	333311  
Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Gadget760Li

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadget760Li
Mein Auto: BMW 760Li
Guys I've watched this and I'm totally impressed BUT how can I purchase the unit in the UK it don't seem to be on the UK eBay I've searched and searched. If you could help please
Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Hey andyn63, first of all you need the DVD stacker and it mounts above your NAV unit and then a MOST loop cable to add it into the MOST network and then some cabling to power it. The MOST cable and the power cable are all in one, as per the diagram below. This can be bought as a kit from BMW or source the parts from a salvage yard.

:

Last edited by AceFX; 07-18-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Banned

Hey Gadget 760Li, have you tried www.global.ebay.com ? It searches every site world wide
Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Gadget760Li

Thanks Ace
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Gadget760Li

Ace found it. This unit 100% will work with my 7 series and give my front passenger video whilst I'm driving. Also when my car goes to BMW and they plug it in this unit will not cause any issues?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned

It is available as a retrofit kit from BMW...... so the answer is yes

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...96&hg=65&fg=95
Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Gadget760Li

I'm just checking out some other sites before I commit to buy the eBay one I kind of like to shop around. I will be in Spain next week for 2 weeks so if I do opt for the eBay one it might just be easier for me to pop over pick it up and fit at the same time.
Well the links below are for the units also (I think). Please advise

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...ee_Module.html

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/unlock-bmw-tv.html

http://www.pegasus-online.net/bmwupg..._570_1274.html
Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Hi, Ace! Could not find the retrofit cable (Part # 61 12 0 151 241) online!!! Does it need the TV function for the DVD changer to work or it will use the Navigation video?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

As far as I know, it will not cause any issues, all it is doing is tricking the MMI into thinking that you are not moving........I bought the first one...... but from eBay. Mine has been in my car for ages now and when I did take my car to BMW they didn't even know it was there, and I got my software updates ok

Last edited by AceFX; 07-18-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget760Li View Post
Guys I've watched this and I'm totally impressed BUT how can I purchase the unit in the UK it don't seem to be on the UK eBay I've searched and searched. If you could help please
Have you already got the Hybrid TV module and rear DVD?

I installed the following item, no soldering/cutting and it enables TV/DVD up front while in motion...Installed behind iDrive screen takes about 20mins.

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/bmw_tvim_n7.html

Seems to have increased in price since I got it although this is for the newer 7s [make sure you get the right one]
(although this is cheaper than the pegasus link you posted)

Last edited by Mr_Burger; 07-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750LI / 2012 2500HD
I am picking up a e66 that has the rear screen. Have you worked out a way to add a a/v input I would like to do something different than have a stack of dvds.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
DVDs, CDs, Changers, Nav units – all so….ummm turn of the century.

How about a connection from your smart phone of choice to the MMI? If you have that capability you would be able to use apps like Rhapsody (music) and playlists on the phone, plus the ability to display any of the apps on the phone – e.g., Navigation. On my phone all I have to do is speak a command (Navigate to XYZ) and the phone does the rest of the work (Andriod). Granted that I have to touch an app on the phone to do that.

This would minimize the need for DVD stacks and the Nav unit – both of which aren’t cheap facelift upgrades for us unwashed pre-facelift owners and are dated technology. I know when I mention DVDs and CDs to my kids they look at me like I am ready for a walker and the old folks home!

What do the experts say? Any way of getting video/audio out of an Andriod/Ipod/Itouch/etc. to the MMI and leverage at least the audio/video (movies, music, TV) and Nav functions of those devices? Could they be controlled with the BMW capability to not only talk on your phone but also to “talk to your phone”?

Just thinking out loud……
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750LI
Quote:
Hey andyn63, first of all you need the DVD stacker and it mounts above your NAV unit and then a MOST loop cable to add it into the MOST network and then some cabling to power it. The MOST cable and the power cable are all in one, as per the diagram below. This can be bought as a kit from BMW or source the parts from a salvage yard.

:
So if im not mistaken .... If I purchase A BMW video Module and a BMW DVD Stacker and a MOST BUS cable (assuming I dont have it) you are telling me that w a few software upgrades to the iDrives Firmware I can view dvds on the front nav screen? I dont have a rear entertainment system so I would want the video to feed the front screen and I want it AS STOCK AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.... Thank you ..
btw my vehicle is a 2007 750LI with many options. I will be picking her up saturday morning and will post pics as soon as possible. Thank you for your time fellas. Im new here but not new to BMW. I have had 3 BMWs before. This is my first 7 though.. Thank you again