Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:57 AM
E92 M3 ED on 2/20/12!

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci Convertible
Silver or Gray for an 2012 M3 Coupe?

I'm close to ordering a 2012 M3 Coupe but alas! I can't decide on the color.

Right now I have a black/black 330Ci. Black is hard to keep clean, yes, we all know that. In addition, in Florida, a black interior is murder in the summer, if you have to park outside at work or any place really. Seriously, things can melt inside the car in August. So although I think the black exterior with black interior looks badass, I just can't do it anymore.

If I had to guess, the percentage of M3 colors I see on the road in South Florida is something like 30% black, 30% white, 20% blue, 7.5% red, 7.5% space gray and 5% something else. But there are a lot of silver and gray non-M3 models everywhere you look. I haven't seen a new M3 in Silverstone recently, although there are some older ones around in that color and I have seen a few advertised. I think white is too plain, and neither blue or red does it for me (I don't like bright colors). As for interiors, I'm not sure what the new fascination is with a red fox interior and beige belongs with black, red, white or blue exterior in my view. Long story short, I'm torn between Space Gray and Silverstone with the Silver leather interior, although I think the Palladium Silver/Black interior looks totally cool and would rock with a black exterior. Ack! I can't decide on anything.

My previous three BMWs have been Titanium Silver/Gray, Steel Blue (my favorite)/Gray, and Black/Black. I guess I like a monochromatic color scheme. This car will have the competition package with Y spoke wheels. Does Silverstone match the wheels better, or are they totally awesome with any color? Given all my idiosyncrasies, what color combo should I pick?

Save me from driving myself crazy!

Mikla

Last edited by Mikla; 12-11-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
I did Space Grey over Black. I love it. Subtle, menacing, and doesn't show dirt.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 sDrive 23i
Space grey...easy. These cars have cuts, curves and protrusions that colours like grey and silver bring out best. Black and white spoil the design
Old 12-11-2011, 06:51 PM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
I would love a silver M3, but the current Silverstone is too blue, IMHO.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: SG E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
Space grey...easy. These cars have cuts, curves and protrusions that colours like grey and silver bring out best. Black and white spoil the design
agreed, space gray does this better than silver IMO. just got my 2012 e92 m3 in space gray and absolutely love it. my interior is black/fox red and i love that as well. no cognitive dissonance from me!

here's my car fresh off a detail following my ED:
Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
E92 M3 ED on 2/20/12!

Wow, it's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpWith335i View Post
I did Space Grey over Black. I love it. Subtle, menacing, and doesn't show dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
2+ here.

the 332i's were a little plain in SG, but the embellishments of the M3 make it just right
Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
My favorite M3 colors have always been space gray and white. I was torn between
the two when I went to my dealer to order my M3. On the dealership floor, was a CPO
Silverstone M6, that immediately transfixed me, and cinched the deal for Silverstone.

Silverstone is chameleon-like - being very sensitive to changes in light. The color is infused
with heat - as opposed to the coolness of Titanium Silver. Depending on the light, Silverstone
may appear almost aluminum - platinum - icy/hot silver - or an other worldly aerospace
silvery blue.

In general, I find Silverstone appealing because it is a M specific color, showcases M cues well, and suggests
speed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 SIlverstone___.jpg
Views:	1944
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	305425  

Last edited by Capobranco; 12-20-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:47 AM
E92 M3 ED on 2/20/12!

Thanks for the pics, Capobranco and PapaKlix! I have heard (not yet seen) that Mineral White is silverish. Has anyone seen that color in person on an M3? It looks pretty white in photographs.

Mikla
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikla View Post
Thanks for the pics, Capobranco and PapaKlix! I have heard (not yet seen) that Mineral White is silverish. Has anyone seen that color in person on an M3? It looks pretty white in photographs.

Mikla
I just saw one the other day. I thought it was Alpine White until I got close. In the evening sun it had a pearl white effect, and a slightly pinkish hue in my opinion. Pretty color, but not for me, and not on an M3 in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
Alpine white.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1324403742.468031.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	305466  
Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3
My Mineral white

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: '11 M3
I'm a big fan of my SGM, the Silver has a blue-ish hue I'm not a fan of.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_6439.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	305674   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_6429.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	305675  
Old 12-22-2011, 06:20 PM
E92 M3 ED on 2/20/12!

Thanks! Three more questions before I place my order -

1. Moonroof or no moonroof?
2. Brushed aluminum trim or carbon leather trim?
3. Silver leather or palladium/black/black?

Mikla
Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Thanks! Three more questions before I place my order -

1. Moonroof or no moonroof?
2. Brushed aluminum trim or carbon leather trim?
3. Silver leather or palladium/black/black?

Mikla
No moonroof - why pay $3k extra for the coupe (for the CF roof), only to delete that interesting feature? Unless of course you love a moonroof.

I like carbon leather; ymmv

Not a fan of silver leather, but if I was picking it, I'd go P/B/B ...
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
If you go with one of the lighter colors the carbon roof is a must. It doesn't play well on the dark colored cars......Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
No moonroof - why pay $3k extra for the coupe (for the CF roof), only to delete that interesting feature? Unless of course you love a moonroof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
If you go with one of the lighter colors the carbon roof is a must. It doesn't play well on the dark colored cars......Phil
Although I am in general agreement with the above statements, I really like the way Silverstone works on my car with a moon roof. Light interacts with the car's surfaces - playfully creating a shimmering overall effect that imparts to the car a sense of lightness
that suggests speed. This effect is reinforced by the illusion that the car may have been carved from a solid block of aluminum. The overall effect is very aerospace.

In general, I like moon roofs - especially in the mountains of Western Maryland and West Virginia where I often drive for pleasure. Mountains - Sky - Rush of Wind - Sun or the Stars above - very sensuous - feels at one with my M3.

I like the way the Silverstone roof plays out on my car, but ultimately, this is my personal choice.
If a friend asked me CF or moonroof, I would urge CF.

Carbon fiber leather!!!!

Last edited by Capobranco; 12-22-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: M3 E92 Grey
Space grey in this desert!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
You wont go wrong with either Space Gray or Siverstone II. Both are great colors on the M3. I agree with others that lighter colors really accentuate the lines on the car. On interior, I would do Fox Red or black with carbon leather trim. I love a sunroof for the visibility.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:05 PM
E92 M3 ED on 2/20/12!

What about the interior color? My husband wants to go Space Gray, so I'd like the Silver interior because it's friggin' hot in Florida in the summer - melts plastic in your car - not kidding. Silver would reduce amount of heat otherwise absorbed by a black interior (which I have now in my 330CiC). The choice at work is to park under tree to stay cooler, and thus be subject to the revenge of the birds. Otherwise, it's just incredibly incredibly hot in the summer. Also, I LOVE the look of the palladium/black/black, but it's mostly black. Arghh! What to do???? Silver or palladium/black/black?

Mikla
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Fox Red!

:-)
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM
E92 M3 ED on 2/20/12!

If I could like Fox Red, I would be able to take advantage of year end incentives because those cars are on dealers' lots. I wouldn't have to wait for an ED order and then more time to get it delivered in the US.

Oh I would love to love Fox Red! But I just don't. I can't. I've tried to reason myself into it, I've tried to open my mind to it, but at the end of the day, I like cool colors with cool colors.

Mikla

Last edited by Mikla; 12-23-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 228i
SilverstoneII all the way. It's the lighter version of Carbon Black which is gorgeous.

Gotta go with the CF roof as it sets the car off.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Quote:
What about the interior color? My husband wants to go Space Gray, so I'd like the Silver interior because it's friggin' hot in Florida in the summer - melts plastic in your car - not kidding. Silver would reduce amount of heat otherwise absorbed by a black interior (which I have now in my 330CiC). The choice at work is to park under tree to stay cooler, and thus be subject to the revenge of the birds. Otherwise, it's just incredibly incredibly hot in the summer. Also, I LOVE the look of the palladium/black/black, but it's mostly black. Arghh! What to do???? Silver or palladium/black/black?

Mikla
How can you choose any other combination? SSII and Palladium Blk/Blk FTMFW! Here's a quick shot of my interior. Also remember BMW uses heat reflective leather....................Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00383.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	305854  

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 12-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
How can you choose any other combination? SSII and Palladium Blk/Blk FTMFW! Here's a quick shot of my interior. Also remember BMW uses heat reflective leather....................Phil
That Palladium Blk/Blk is very well done IMO. I also think it "flows" better with the black dash with carbon fibre trim, than the straight palladium only (because it picks up the color of the dash, the trim, etc.)

If it wouldn't have cost me (a totally ridiculous) nearly 4 grand surcharge in Canada (where it is not a standard option), I might have very well gone with it.

It is true though, that if you are going for a light interior to reduce heat, it would be lighter with a straight palladium. I also think with the slight blue in the palladium, it would match with the Silverstone II exterior perfectly. Silverstone II would also reflect heat better.

Try to take a look at both Silverstone II and Space Grey in real life. I love both, but nothing beats looking at them in real life. Same thing for the interior color.

p.s. I travelled some distances to take a look at different interior/ exterior options. My husband and I made them into fun, mini-road trips. I felt that the M3 is such a special car and I know myself, I drive myself crazy with colors, so I'd better be sure... Like you, I also skipped out on great deals on the '11 models because I wouldn't have been truly happy with the inventory left...

And lastly, another woman M3 driver.....

- 2010 335i coupe (Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Gray Poplar, Sport package, etc.)
- 2013 M3 coupe on order (July production)

Last edited by JulieDriving; 12-24-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added p.s.