Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
radio and key fob not working correctly

I have a 04 654CI. yesterday my radio gave me problems...there is a beat coming out of the speakers but no words or very muffeled words--it sounds like a techno fest in my car.
I have checked all the fuses and they are fine, no burn marks or breaks. After I checked the fuses and tried locking up the car the fob would not work, not even the spare...anyone have an idea for either situation before I pay the dealer the big buck for something simple.
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
When you say there are no mids/highs, have you tried putting your ear up to a door speaker to see if any sound is coming from those speakers? If the door speakers are not working but the subs are, then it sounds like an amp issue (located in the trunk).

The key fob is probably due to a loose fuse. I would remove/reinstall the fuses again. It would not hurt to check them with a multimeter, sometimes you can miss a blown fuse when doing a visual only.

Here are the two fuse charts in case you don't have them.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
Yorgi, have you ever had to repair a fiber optic connector? I was retrofitting for sat radio and one fiber wire came out of the connector behind the rear seat. I ordered a replacement connector. I am guessing that I skin it back a bit, place into connector, clean with alcohol and carefully super glue the back end?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I replied to your PM. I have not worked with fibre but it looks like they make a special tool to strip the cable and crimp the ends. The tools look like what I have used for RG6 coax TV cables.

A quick search on the BMW forums came up with a few stories of guys successfully butting up the cable ends with no connectors and holding this together with black electrical tape. So I would guess your suggested method of gluing the connectors will work fine.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater