Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Peake Code Reader vs. Bavarian Autosport

I have been planning to buy a Peake Code reader. I don't understand though, does one really need to have both the Peake, to read BMW codes and an OBCII reader to pull generic codes? I've not been able to get a straight answer from the person and Peake I've been corresponding with. Then, in the new Bavarian Autosport catelogue they have a reader that looks exactly like the Peake and the advertizement says, "reads both BMW and OBD codes".

Does anyone know about this? Do we need both the Peake reader that plugs in under the hood and an OBD reader that plugs in under the dash? Does the Bavarian do both?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
I've got the Peake because I wanted BMW codes, not generic OBD codes.

Plus mine also plugs in under the dash.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
I don't have a Peake, but doesn't it read out a hex code, which you need to look up in a manual? The BMW codes are 2- and 3-digit decimal codes, n'est-ce pas?

Does the Peake read pending codes, too? BTW, I'm sure that the Bav Auto reader is a private-labeled Peake.

I have a scan tool from AutoXray that retrieves pending codes, and also has a real-time readout with, as I remember, 16 parameters. It also decodes the P-code, so you don't have to look up the meaning in a book.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
My car never has any codes pending. As a matter of fact, the last time my car burped up a code, it was only because of a gas cap gasket that was worn out and not sealing properly.

My car has been a pretty good little critter. Completely code free @ 121k.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
The Peake reads pending codes.
I think it's similar to a OBD II scanner, only the codes were "transformed" to those hexagesimal numbers and the "generic" codes were assigned the "correct" BMW codes.
I have the Peake, and it's handy. I have also a generic OBD II scanner. And I also have the GT1 together with a friend of mine.
The Peake is very simple, but quite effective at reading stuff and the readouts you have to look them up in the manual that comes with it. These are the "patented BMW code names" meaning whatever code a regular scanner will give you, the Peake will "translate" it a tad more exactly. However it can't read certain things the GT1 can.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I think it's similar to a OBD II scanner, only the codes were "transformed" to those hexagesimal numbers and the "generic" codes were assigned the "correct" BMW codes.
I have the Peake, and it's handy. I have also a generic OBD II scanner. And I also have the GT1 together with a friend of mine.
The Peake is very simple, but quite effective at reading stuff and the readouts you have to look them up in the manual that comes with it. These are the "patented BMW code names" meaning whatever code a regular scanner will give you, the Peake will "translate" it a tad more exactly. However it can't read certain things the GT1 can.
Thanks. That pretty much answeres my question. I guess I'll go ahead and buy the Peak. I've only had two instances where my CEL has come one, once because of the recirculator valve needing to be replaced and the other because the selinoid that controls the torque converter hung up for a second and it has never done it again. But, things can change quickly.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rolando View Post
I have been planning to buy a Peake Code reader. I don't understand though, does one really need to have both the Peake, to read BMW codes and an OBCII reader to pull generic codes? I've not been able to get a straight answer from the person and Peake I've been corresponding with. Then, in the new Bavarian Autosport catelogue they have a reader that looks exactly like the Peake and the advertizement says, "reads both BMW and OBD codes".

Does anyone know about this? Do we need both the Peake reader that plugs in under the hood and an OBD reader that plugs in under the dash? Does the Bavarian do both?

Thanks
For your '99 528 you only need the R5-FCX-3 that plugs in under the hood. It will work with models up to model year 2000. If your future has a 2001-2007 BMW model, then it would be better to get the R5-FCX-3-U, which plugs in under the hood-for the older models, and has an adapter which goes from the reader to the port under the dash, for the new models.

I also think that Bavarian Autosport buys their product from Peake and rebadges them. It might be worth your time to look on e-bay for a used FCX-3 or equal, unless you want the FCX-3-U. I bought the Bavarian Autosport under hood unit several years ago for half price. It keeps on ticking...........but does not work with my 530.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sr_300.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	316512  
Attached Images

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
You don't need both, only one assuming you're buying a consumer level reader. The Peake does more than the typical equivalent universal OBD2 reader for your car (eg reset oil light), is likely easier to store in your car (I hold mine in the door pocket), and the most important in my opinion: it is more detailed when reporting codes from what I recall. I can't verify this for certain as I'm on my phone, but I'm confident that there are more codes provided by the Peake tool than OBD error codes. I may be wrong, but I urge you to cross reference misfire error codes for example, and you will find that the universal codes don't offer as much insight into the underlying issue. For instance, Peake should read each cylinder misfire, bank, idle, off-idle, mid range, etc.. among others, whereas the universal code reader may be less detailed (if that makes any sense). I think the same was true for MAF error codes.

I'll do some research when I get to my laptop because my phone is about to die.

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
By the way, I have the FCX-3U for our cars that I can sell since the GT1/DIS laptop solution makes it a bit redundant.

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w

Last edited by Quick99Si; 03-13-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
hows that GT1???? thanks