Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745L
Driver's side back seat floor wet

The floor on my back seat (driver's side) is saturated. The front floor is slightly wet too but I suspect that it is coming from the origin which is the back. Seals on the door look fine, and dry. So, something underneath I would gather. I'm going to get it up on the hoist and have a look. But nobody in my area is familiar with the 7 Series so I thought I'd do some quick investigating to help things along.

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw745li
Check and clean drain holes in sun roof also check and clean around cabin filters . do a search on the site there's a diy on this subject

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwagner View Post
The floor on my back seat (driver's side) is saturated. The front floor is slightly wet too but I suspect that it is coming from the origin which is the back. Seals on the door look fine, and dry. So, something underneath I would gather. I'm going to get it up on the hoist and have a look. But nobody in my area is familiar with the 7 Series so I thought I'd do some quick investigating to help things along.

Thanks.
I just sorted this problem for the 2nd time.

The water is coming in underneath the MicroFilter (in engine bay beside winscreen).

It's filling up a black tray/pan thats supposeded to empty via a drain hole in the corner....BUT the drain hole gets blocked with leaves and dirt when you car is parked under tree's etc and the pan fills up and overflows into the Microfilter ducting and into the car......it then flows front to back.

It' takes 5 mins to fix.

If your stuck i'll take mine apart and take some photo's for you .....

Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM

Makes total sense. Thank you i will see if i can find it. New to this car and just learning my way around it. If you could take a quick picture of where the drain hole is in relation to the car that would be helpful. In the meantime i will see if i can figure it out. Thanks so much.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 PM

by microfilter do you mean air cabin filter? I checked both of them and no doubt they need changing so all good with that find. But I see no evidence of water in there. Dry as a bone. Am I looking in the right place?

As for the sun roof, I'm yet to check that as that's a slightly bigger job and I haven't had the time or option to have the car inoperable in case I have something apart that can't easily go back together.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745i sport
Below the passenger side a/c microfilter is your e-box(DME, etc.). Its sealed, but on the bottom it has a drain hole with a check valve thats supposed to prevent water from backing into the box. It doesn't seal in standing water though. The cavity that the e-box sits in has a drain pipe underneath with a flap. The flap catches debris resulting in blockage. In a heavy rain the water will back up around the e- box, leak past the check valve, fill the Ebox until it starts draining out of a duct inside for the e-box fan. That duct runs into the interior. If you remove the panel under the glovebox you can see it. Run water off the windshield and see it starts to back up around the Ebox. To clear the drain, take the passenger side front wheel off, undo the back side of the fender liner. You'll see the drain. Clear it and cut the flap off to improve flow. With the fender liner removed you can also see one of the drains to the sunroof(to the left of the ARS valve block. Take the flap off of that as well. They love to get blocked too. Do the drivers side flaps as well.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:06 AM

No blockage in the sunroof drains. I will try what meangreen94z has suggested. After reading this I inspected the windshield closer. The rubber gaskets are in less than perfect conditioner and are separating from the windshield which would allow more water in. Since it's only the driver's side that is wet, I well start there. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Created a DIY ....here you go :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post8560841