Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 745li
Anyone remove cylinder heads ?

Just wondering if anyone has pulled the heads on their n62 as part of a DIY?

I can also join the weep hole / coolant pipe issue club. Left me overheated and stranded. I've got the engine ready to reassemble ------> doing the expansion pipe route. I just rec'd the AGA pipe today. Don't think any other damage was done since I immediately pulled over and shut engine off when the warning message came on. Can't believe how quick this came on. Left in the morning, never had any signs of coolant leak. Halfway home, I'm on the side of a busy interstate hoping I live.

Background: About 3 months ago, I replaced my valve stem seals (on engine like Keif due to James Bond like smoke bombs after idle) and am now wondering if I should have pulled the heads back then ............. infamous secondary air blockages. At the time, I was thinking that the secondary air passages may begin to clear after the stem seal leaks are taken care of. I think I was wrong as the secondary air is still giving me SES.

Diagnosis for secondary air fault was pretty simple really.
1) removed the secondary air valves at the rear of engine (easy access with the intake off)
2) stuck a rubber grommet on my air nozzle
3) stuck the air nozzle into the pipe for the SA valve
4) got someone to monitor airflow at the tailpipe (lucky my wife is still in a good mood)

Results: passenger side = flowing, drivers side nothing

Prognosis: Secondary air passage on driver's side definitely plugged, hence the code.

I have not heard of anything that can break up the carbon in these ports. I'll be putting some solvents directly into the secondary air pipe at the back of the cylinder head with hopes of breaking some loose. I'll keep you posted on this but I'm not too hopeful. Diamonds are made of carbon too and I read that drilling is required to break up the carbon in these passages.

I'm at the point now, that while I have the intake / wiring and so on off to do the coolant pipe, should I take the time now to pull the heads to clean ? Looking for your opinion. I don't need to have emissions for another year but I'm thinking ... do it now / do it later... gonna have to do it ? Cost wise I think I'll need to replace head gaskets & exhaust manifold gaskets so only an extra 200-300 out of my pocket so not a big deal.

My biggest question is how to get at the exhaust manifold bolts so I can remove the heads.

If anyone has done this on their own I'd really appreciate some help.

-Rob
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
If you are going the route of using the AGA pipe, then I don't know if you really have enough off to justify all the extra work of pulling the heads. But, if you can justify all the extra work, go for it! I haven't pulled the heads before, but Wilson bent a few valves (and thus had to pull a head) during his crossover pipe replacement, so he might be able to tell you how to get at the exhaust bolts -- I'd imagine just unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine an inch or two. Dropping the front axle carrier might give a bit more working space as well -- I have some stuff about lowering (but not removing) the front axle carrier in my oil pump drop set here.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 02-05-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Hey Keif thanks for the reply. I was hoping you mite. I know you've done a lot on your cars and we are all grateful for your shared experience.
Took a look at those photos. Wow, big job. Congrats !
To do or not to do. That's the question. Pulling the heads is pretty big and I worry then how much
Ore problems I might have (grind heads, lap valves ....)
As of today no issues leaks or anything with the heads. Just the blockage.

Well like I said in my orig post, got the aga pipe so I can reassemble that part while I try solvents & air on the passages. I'll post any result.

If unsuccessful, I may have some more questions for you on getting the engine up and dropping front suspension. Hope
Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM

..... (hit send too soon) you'll be able to advise.

Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Master Tinkerer

Make sure you drain your oil as well -- to see how much, and remove, any coolant that dropped down between the block and timing case (where the bad O-ring is) into the oil pan.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advice Keif. Well, I finally decided not to pull the heads and just get the AGA coolant pipe in and the engine back together. Finished this, topped up the coolant and changed the oil.

I must add that I did have some success clearing blockage from the driver side secondary air. I poured solvent directly into the SA pipe (with valve removed) and then used a wire stranded cable and fished it down into the cylinder head. This would only clean the main gallery and not the individual holes going to each exhaust port . After a couple of days ( while waiting for the AGA to arrive) of soaking and use of cable, I was ready to give up and on the final try, I got air flowing through the exhaust !

Don't know if this is enough and I'll have to wait and see if the code clears itself - couple of drive cycles I hope.

When I finally started her up there was so much smoke people walking on the street were almost in a panic. I took the car out for a spin and it blew smoke like crazy for about 1-2 miles, to the point that people were swerving ! Kind of like the seafoam videos on U-Tube. It did clear up by the way.

So far so good, looks like no leaks. I'll report back with if the SA code turns off.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Master Tinkerer

Great news! What kind of solvent did you use?

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 AM

I used Seafoam at first, but then tried b-12 Chemtool. Not sure which was better. The B-12 had a stronger solvent smell to it though. Used about 1/2 can of each in various soak-blow-soak-fish wire-soak- blow............. until I got it cleared.

SES light turned off on it's own this morning on my drive to work. I am hopeful that it will stay off ! Again this was engine emissions for Secondary Air fault. Probably only 1 of the 4 holes to the exhaust are actually opened up, but maybe this is enough flow to keep the light off. No way to tell without removing cyl heads. Time will tell I guess

So far so good.

If this turns out to be working longer term, maybe it could be an extreme "maintenance" item to perform every xxx miles? I'd say that pulling the intake is not as easy as your routine maintenance, but child's play compared to the alternative of pulling the heads.

Just as a note / warning. I did crank the engine by hand (ratchet on crank bolt) maybe 10-12 revolutions before starting it up for the 1st time after all this. I wasn't sure where all the solvent / fluid would end up ......out the exhaust or into the cylinder that had exhaust valve open ? guess it depends exactly where those holes end up in the ports.

****I wanted to make sure that there was not a chance to hydro-lock a cylinder and bend a rod or worse. Just a precaution.****

I guess I'm getting to 3 for 3 of the most common engine issues I've seen on the forum. Still love driving the 7 though.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: anything not german
You can get the heads off without removing the exhaust manifolds. Just undue the exhaust after the cats and remove the little section of steering column on the drivers side and you can sneek the heads out with manifolds still attached.

Sent from my R800x using Bimmer App
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtech78 View Post
You can get the heads off without removing the exhaust manifolds. Just undue the exhaust after the cats and remove the little section of steering column on the drivers side and you can sneek the heads out with manifolds still attached.

Thanks bmwtech78. Never thought o that. Have you actually done it his way?
At this point I've got the car back together but this is excellent advice if the time comes.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: anything not german
Yes I have done it that way on a e65 its much easier than taking off the manifolds but can be a little awkward lifting the heads out just get someone to give you a hand lifting. Not sure if this will work on a e60 cause the engine bay is a little more cramped. I have to pull the heads on a e53 later this week and will try this method as well to see if it works.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i 2005
emission

well i have no nothing coming from driver side tale pipe,but i have no errors related to it secondary air pump and i just pass my emission test. I feel there is kind of divider inside of driver site tailpipe pipe? Do know what is that?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 745li
Can someone maybe give me a dyi on how to pull the heads off?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony745li View Post
Can someone maybe give me a dyi on how to pull the heads off?
N62 Cylinder head R&R

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/7_se...03_and_n62tu)/

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/7_se...03_and_n62tu)/
Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Got the aga secondary air tool and it worked after 3days of letting them sit in B12. Finally they are free . If anyone needs the tool pm me ill be willing to rent it out
Old 10-11-2014, 08:45 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony745li View Post
Got the aga secondary air tool and it worked after 3days of letting them sit in B12. Finally they are free . If anyone needs the tool pm me ill be willing to rent it out
how much you renting the tool for ???

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 10-12-2014, 01:52 AM

Pm me
Old 10-12-2014, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto:
What did you let sit in the B12??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 AM

After taking of the air valve from the back there is a pipe that is still conected to the air port . I put B12 in and once I got the aga secondary air tool I took of the pipe (which is a pain to get to the one screw that is almost on the bottom of that pipe and hooked up the aga tool and sprayed more b12 and it got sooooo black asfrom the carbon hooked up air to it and it just poped open . Aga tool is really sweet. Inbox me I can give you my number if you want pictures . I just cant upload them on here not sure why it wont let me .
Old 10-12-2014, 05:09 PM

Can anyone please help me with how do you hand turn engine over bmw e65 ? I just got done doing my secondary air ports with the AGA tool and it says you need to hand turn engine over o have no clue how to do this . Any help on how and what size tools do I need.
Thanx in advance