Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Fifth Gear Video Review of the F20 1 Series

Fifth Gear is the other British Motoring show, a brother to the well known Top Gear. Top Gear focuses on a few extreme cars and hilarious 'challenges' while Fifth Gear tends to provide more details and useful reviews, even if the show isn't as funny.

If you haven't seen the show before I suggest watching it from start to finish. If you're just looking for the BMW F20 1 Series review jump to 6:30 for the review.

What do you think of the Fifth Gear of the BMW F20 1 Series?
Ads by Google
Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
YouTube version is Blocked in the UK. This works in the UK:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/fifth-...episode-16-128

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 12-14-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
I've driven one.
The Fifth Gear car is a Sport. Only Sport models can have red stitching on the seats and the Coral trim finisher on the dash.

Agree

The car has more room in the boot and back seat than the old 5 door. One of the biggest shortfalls with the old 5-door was the lack of space in the back.
It drives like a RWD BMW.
Nice sport seats, even in cloth. The step-up Track Cloth in the Sport is the best feeling cloth interior I've sat in.
Nice steering wheel, feels like a 3er.
Ride quality. More comfy than our MINI despite the 45 series run flats. I'd prefer a little more sidewall and a little stiffer suspension. On the track it may turn out BMW has softened up the car too much.
They didn't mention the optional internet connectivity. Good. It isn't worth having.

Neutral:
Much better looking than the car it replaced. Not the best looking car BMW has ever built. This is a forward looking design. Just wait, others will be borrowing the style cues. This is a car you have to see in person. Pictures don't accurately capture the details.

Disagree:
Interior quality. Once you move away from the primary controls and seating, the interior feels cost reduced compared to other current BMWs. The glove box is not as nice as the one on our MINI.

Rear room. There is more room in the F20 than in the e87. They put the tall person behind the tall person. He must have had the seat all the way back. I'm 5'8". With the seat adjusted for me there is tons of room in the back. Even 5'10" should leave more than enough rear space.

Front Room. On a RHD car, the clutch is too close to the dead pedal. I have wide feet (10EEEE) and have a very hard time getting my left foot onto the dead pedal. This isn't a problem for me in other RHD BMWs or our MINI.

Transmission. First gear is much too low. The change feels Like all BMWs. the throw is too long and the feel is on the vague side. Try an NC Mazda MX-5. Now that is what a gear shift should feel like.

Shifting advice 'let it rev'. "you're not even on the red line yet" The engines are flat rated, with horsepower flat from 4400RPM. There is no need to shift at or near to the red line. Hitting the rev limiter, even for a fraction of a second is going to slow you down.

They didn't mention the improved iDrive.

"Rigorous road test" Yeah right. That might be a tiny bit of british sarcasm. I rarely agree with Clarkson, but at least he pushes the cars around.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 12-14-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
I'm not a fan of the argument style of discussion.
They did offer their views of the looks, fit and trim.
Seemed to like the handling.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
I do like "dog" power as opposed to horse power
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 12-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 sDrive 23i
You can tell if a car is good looking of it looks good in its most basic pack. The front of a new basic 1 series looks hideous...what a let down.