Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: Z3///M Imola
1999 Z3 2.8l good price?

I'm looking to buy a Z3 as soon as I find the right one.

Found a 2.8l 1999 with 88k miles on it.
The problems I know of:
-soft-top rubber seal is starting to come lose
-hard top intermittently leaks on passenger side
-was in a wreck that impacted front of car, lists only minor, cosmetic damage that was repaired at BMW
-has the glove box sag issue going on

Other than that, owner states nothing wrong. I've seen a lot of high detail pictures and cosmetically, it looks great.

It has heated seats, cd, most of the optional stuff.
It's in Arctic Blue color.

What would you guys think would be a fair price for that?
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0
Personally if a car has been wrecked especially in the front, I would walk away. If you really have your heart set on this car, you should ask to see the repair bill to determine how serious the damage was to the car. If he has that bill, hopefully the owner also has a good maintenance history on the car. There are many Roadsters out there for sale so remember to buy the best example you can afford.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 PM

I found out what was damaged in the wreck. It was a low speed wreck. It was above the bumper so airbags and sensors did not fire and were fine. The radiator, fan and hood were replaced with new at the BMW dealership.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM

That sounds fairly benign. What I have read is a car involved in an accident has its value reduced by 20% on resale but that was a few years ago. NADA & Kelly Blue Book will give you numbers to work from. Good luck! I recently bought a '01 Z3 2 owner with less than 29K miles but I drove several before I settled on this one. The Z3 offers alot of bang for the buck.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 z3 2.8
What I paid

If it helps I paid just over 9k for a 97 2.8 with 48k miles in excellent condition. I did do a bit of preemptive and elective maintenance ie a new top instead of just the window, full cooling system, tires, brakes and rotors (ceramics because I couldn't stand the brake dust) glove and seat track fixes ... All in all another 3k or so. But the car looks new and is (IMHO) just as fast as the new ones. She should be good for another 15 or20 years. Good luck
Jay-Lo
Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I got them to agree to $7900 on the sale pending an inspection/test drive and all that.

I have to be pretty sure about it before I even get to look at it in person because it's a long ways from where I live.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 z3 2.8
Do your homework

Sounds reasonable, but..... Find a good independant mechanic in the area where the car is. Regional BMW forums often have good recommendations as well as a google search and the plain ol yellow pages. Make an appointment for a pre sales inspection, shouldn't cost more than about 100. Sometimes they are free. Make a list of the common problems for your year and make sure they are inspected. I guarantee the cooling system is one of them. Remember, not all problems are from milage, age counts too. Good luck. Love mine.

Last edited by Cityconstable; 12-15-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke63b View Post
... The radiator, fan and hood were replaced with new at the BMW dealership.
How do you know the work was done at a BMW dealership? This is what the seller said, or have you seen the service invoice? Even at a distance, in our age of electronic communications, I would have to see an electronic copy of the service invoice before spending money on inspections and travel.

If the seller is unable to provide the invoice, I'd run.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
The guy that I bought the 2.8 from actually handed me a receipt that showed he changed the water pump.

I can guarantee that it was never changed.

I examined it carefully when it exploded right on time at 70k miles.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 PM

Good advice. I'm still working on it. I'll post an update once I find out whether I'm getting this one or not.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:07 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
The guy that I bought the 2.8 from actually handed me a receipt that showed he changed the water pump.

Did the receipt show he bought a water pump or he paid a shop to change the water pump?

But, I agree, a receipt is not a guarantee. Just another piece of data. To be subjected to evaluation.

Also, with today's computers, software, and printers, it has never been easier to fake a receipt.

Last edited by dougmcintyre; 12-16-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Bought my 2001 Z3 Topaz Blue $15k in Canada. 60K on the clock Body is in exceptional condition. Wife's Summer driver.
Watepump Exploded @ 65K. Fortunately no damage to the hood. Fan, Rad, Fan shroud replaced. As well as thermosta, both belts and both hoses.
So this spring:
Bleed the Brakes, replace the fluid. Pads are in good shape, but will change to Ceramics (also hate the brake dust)
Change the Steering fluid Resevoir and change the Fluid.
Change the Spark Plugs and Coils.
Probably upgrade my headlights to Angel eyes. Not sure if I'm gonna spring for HIDs or just projectors.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM

So I got laid off the actual DAY that I decided I was definitely going to buy this car.

Still in contact with the guy and I have a job offer interview to determine salary on Tuesday. If I take this job, (and I probably will), I will be going to get this car.

I will update again when I find out

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:57 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
Good Luck on the job front!!!!

Crappy : )

(Just Outside of Nashville)
Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 AM

Would there perhaps be an extremely knowledgeable Z3 fanatic here that would be willing to message me with their e-mail and let me send them all the pictures and info I have to help me make this decision?
It's a good 600 miles away from where I live and I want to be as sure as I can be from a distance before I head there to actually buy the thing.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
just post here. you'll get lotsa good advice.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks Tohbi and I know I would but I don't want to give out too much about the car on a random forum for fear of someone purchasing it before I get up there or offering more on it Not that any of the helpful folks here would necessarily do that but random people find these threads on google too.

Someone contacted me already to help out as well
Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 PM

So I'm about to make plans to go get this car. I would like some people that may have seen the Subframe issues before to take a look at these pictures and tell me if 1, they're good enough to be reasonably sure there's no problem and 2, it looks like there's no problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/aII5m

Last edited by smoke63b; 01-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Your pictures are of the top side & show no damage to spot welds. The suspension is attached to a double panel of steel but I could be wrong. From the pictures I have seen on the Internet, underside inspection is the best way to see the damage. If the car drives well, displays no abnormal behaviour when braking or accelerating, & the tyre wear is normal, I would guess the car is good to go. Anyone else have more insight on this?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: -98 Mroadster S50 Estoril
Subframe issues are rare.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Thanks Pima.

I understand they are rare but they DO occur and it's something you have to know about before purchasing a car.

Also, I will be checking the underside of the car when I go see it but just wanted to see if everyone else thought that the trunk part looked ok where the welds are.

Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: -98 Mroadster S50 Estoril
I did not mean to say that they did not exist. I just see in forums that people tend to worry about them more than (most often) is reasonable. If you know they are rare - then no problem, and I did not mean to be impolite, and I can see no signs from your picture.

What I can tell you with certainty though is that the 2.8 is a nice drive and I wish you many smiling miles!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM

the 2.8 is less than 200 hp. some of the m models exceed 300 hp, if i recall correctly. imho, the 2.8 is about right for this chassis. if you overpower any chassis things will break. of course, if you beef it up enough the sky's the limit.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Well after all this talk and all the research, someone sniped me on the car last night. I called to set up a time to pick up the car and someone had showed up with cash and paid him just a little bit more than we had a deal for...

Deals don't count for much these days but I guess God was trying to tell me something.

The first day I decided to go get this car, I lost my job. Then the day I got a new job and the deal was back on, my mother died and I've been taking care of my dad who has cancer and can't take care of himself. It's been really tough.

Thanks for all the help and I appreciate people taking the time to give me some good advice.

If anyone knows of a great deal on a 2.8l - M (roadsters) Z3, please let me know. I live in the DFW area of Texas.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 PM

sorry about your issues but take heart, there's lotsa z3s out there. you'll probably find a better one if you're patient.