Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
This is a great option for those who like their cars for its comforts not for the thrill of driving it.

I see three main drawbacks, which is why this was not among the $30k worth of factory and after market options I added:
1) It's useless if your objective is to drive faster than traffic
2) It interferes with your radar detector
3) It interferes with the radars of other people who are trying to go faster than traffic (like your good friend Stealth.Pilot)

But if you have a 90 minute commute, and you've given up on the notion of beating the traffic, then by all means, get ACC, get in the inside lane, put on some music, and zone out.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 12-23-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Steel is where it's at!!!

Mein Auto: '12 550i x & '12 X5d
Reviving an old thread here. In your opinion, is this an option that benefits those that face traffic regularly, or those that go on longer road trips regularly? Or both?

2012 X5 35d - Platinum Grey (Hers)
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Lexus GS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I'm a member of another forum where people are thinking of ways to reprogram the car to disable the ACC so they can use their radar detectors. A lot of buyers remorse from those who don't drive at 55mph like a grandma in a Buick.
Some radar detectors are programmable, such that a user can disable a particular band - my Valentine lets me disable the laser detection because of false alarms. I assume the ACC runs at K band (24.1 GHz). In my area (south Jersey), most radars are Ka Band (34 GHz), so disabling K band would be acceptable to me.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
This is a great option for those who like their cars for its comforts not for the thrill of driving it.

I see three main drawbacks, which is why this was not among the $30k worth of factory and after market options I added:
1) It's useless if your objective is to drive faster than traffic
2) It interferes with your radar detector
3) It interferes with the radars of other people who are trying to go faster than traffic (like your good friend Stealth.Pilot)

But if you have a 90 minute commute, and you've given up on the notion of beating the traffic, then by all means, get ACC, get in the inside lane, put on some music, and zone out.
I always use my Valentine One radar detector and my ACC at the same time and have never noticed any interference. It is not useless if you want to drive faster than traffic. Even if it is off you still have to slow down for cars in front of you and wait for them to get out of your way. The ACC does not slow you down for slower cars in another lane, only for cars in your lane. What are you referring to?

I find the ACC indispensible on long trips on the interstate. I also had it on my '06 650i. I would never buy a car without ACC. That is one reason I would not buy and F10 M5 or an F30 3 series.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM
The Driver

I'm suggesting that if you are changing lanes frequently to achieve a higher average speed than the traffic then ACC is not useful.

Either way we have it on our SUV and I don't use it ever. I am a very active driver and I use throttle a lot.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I'm suggesting that if you are changing lanes frequently to achieve a higher average speed than the traffic then ACC is not useful.

Either way we have it on our SUV and I don't use it ever. I am a very active driver and I use throttle a lot.
Does that mean you pass other cars on the right frequently? Does it mean you spend a lot of time tailgating other cars? The ACC does make you keep a safe distance from the cars in front of you. This is an important safety feature. If you break the law constantly by following the car in front of you too closely nor following safe passing procedures when passing slower vehicles then obviously the ACC will prevent you from doing this routinely.

At BMW the most important thing is safety. The ACC helps you be a safer driver. If that is not one of your interests then clearly the ACC is not for you. But for those of us who are safe drivers who follow the law the ACC is a great option and I would not buy a car without it. I have always said that if one drives a very high performance vehicle, such as a 550i, it is even more important that we exhibit safe driving habits and set an example for other drivers on the road.

Even if you routinely drive faster than other traffic it is still possible and advisable to do so in a safe manner. Tailgating and passing routinely on the right does not constitute safe driving. The ACC does not prevent one from driving faster than other traffic, it just helps you do so in a safe manner while simultaneously significantly lessening fatigue in long distance high speed driving.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
I don't have the option. There have been in a few situations in which I would have appreciated ACC, but mostly I'm quite pleased to have avoided it. Like the rear TV's and Nightvision, I'm overall glad I didn't spend the cash on these features.
Me too. I had the Infiniti equivalent of ACC on my 2006 M45. Nice toy but rarely used it. Cruise control dulls my attention
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 AM
The Driver

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
Does that mean you pass other cars on the right frequently? Does it mean you spend a lot of time tailgating other cars? The ACC does make you keep a safe distance from the cars in front of you. This is an important safety feature. If you break the law constantly by following the car in front of you too closely nor following safe passing procedures when passing slower vehicles then obviously the ACC will prevent you from doing this routinely.

At BMW the most important thing is safety. The ACC helps you be a safer driver. If that is not one of your interests then clearly the ACC is not for you. But for those of us who are safe drivers who follow the law the ACC is a great option and I would not buy a car without it. I have always said that if one drives a very high performance vehicle, such as a 550i, it is even more important that we exhibit safe driving habits and set an example for other drivers on the road.

Even if you routinely drive faster than other traffic it is still possible and advisable to do so in a safe manner. Tailgating and passing routinely on the right does not constitute safe driving. The ACC does not prevent one from driving faster than other traffic, it just helps you do so in a safe manner while simultaneously significantly lessening fatigue in long distance high speed driving.
I don't tailgate but I also don't give a damn about people who live in fear and lecture others like yourself.

If you want to impose discipline focus on your kids. People like me really don't care what others think. I was trained in urban driving by the army and the military has much higher awareness and safety standards than you.

2014 ///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 02-21-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
J

I don't tailgate but I also don't give a damn about people who live in fear and lecture others like yourself.

If you want to impose discipline focus on your kids. People like me really don't care what others think. I was trained in urban driving by the army and the military has much higher awareness and safety standards than you.
You obviously care enough about what I think to get so angry. I will say whatever I want to say to you so long as I use respectful language. That is what you fought for in the military ie, to protect and defend the Constitution including the first amendment.

Now, you still have not explained why you don't like ACC. Now, that is your perogative. But I have my perogatives as well. You have no idea whether or not the military does or does not have more awareness of safety than I do. You have no idea whatsoever what my awareness is or is not. That is pure conjecture on your part.

So, if you don't tailgate or pass on the right, then what is it about the ACC that prevents you from driving faster than traffic. Do, you always drive faster than traffic? If so, how is that possible. Are you saying that even when you don't drive faster than traffic that the ACC is useless. Obviously, as you said: " People like me really don't care what others think." So, why are you expressing an opinion as to whether or not other people should or should not buy the ACC. Aren't you violating your own principles here. This thread is about whether or not another person should or should not buy the ACC. I think the ACC is a good safety feature, you don't. Fair enough, but I'm entitled to my opinion too. If you don't think you should listen to what other people think then why are you bothering to express your opinion on this. In fact, why are you even bothering to read anything on this blog and writing about your own opinions and expecting other people to read them. A little contradictory, don't you think. Maybe it's just the difference between military and civilian life.

Last edited by richschneid; 02-21-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
It just amazes me that whenever the topic of speed is brought up, it invokes so much emotion. We've been conditioned to accept and protect mediocre drivers abusing all sorts of lane/traffic disciplines and frown up anybody wanting to pass them and move faster. I really wish everyone in their lifetime was offered a free ticket to Germany (or many other EU countries) to see true road discipline and true 'excessive' speeds causing no harm to anyone. Dream on, I know....

North American definition of "safety" has been so twisted over the years. 'Safe' driver who blocks the left lane at speed limit with a burger in his mouth is committing no traffic infraction, while unsafe driver 'speeds' and 'recklessly' tries to pass him on the right... I give up...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
To shift back to the topic... My last 3 vehicles had ACC and naturally I added it to my F10 order. Having had my car a week now I can say that it is a fairly decent system (Volvo's was better, honestly) but it has one very serious drawback in BMW's implementation. I was in stop and go traffic last night, and set it to 25 MPH (speed limit on the road I was on with speed cameras). Traffic in front of me started to move, and I hit the RES button to make my car move. It accelerates, though more lightly than I would. All is well.

BUT... As my car's acceleration/momentum increased the traffic in front stopped. Not abruptly, but pretty normal for stop and go. My car flashed the red warning car symbol in the dash/HUD, beeped twice, disengaged ACC, and had me manually intervene and brake. I could have rear ended the person in front of me were I not paying attention.

My Volvo S60 with ACC NEVER did this. In the hundreds of times I used ACC on that car it was always spot on and seemed to do a better job of reading traffic ahead and reacting far sooner than the BMW.

For those that have ACC and use it in stop and go traffic, is this normal for you, too?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM

That's interesting. I don't have ACC, but why on Earth would it disengage if it senses a car ahead? Shouldn't the only case of auto disengagement occur during system malfunction?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
That's interesting. I don't have ACC, but why on Earth would it disengage if it senses a car ahead? Shouldn't the only case of auto disengagement occur during system malfunction?
No idea. I will bring this up to my dealer today just out of curiosity.

I suspect it is disengaging because the system can't bring the car to a stop quickly enough. There's probably a certain threshold for braking effort and this situation put the car outside that threshold. Or something like that...
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Hmm... let us know... It sounds weird. If the car was to slam on the brakes for you, sure it might be uncomfortable, but ain't that better than rear-ending someone? Sounds like they don't want the system to brake abruptly for some reason...
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Hmm... let us know... It sounds weird. If the car was to slam on the brakes for you, sure it might be uncomfortable, but ain't that better than rear-ending someone? Sounds like they don't want the system to brake abruptly for some reason...
Agree. That is a very useful feature. Wish I had that.

I just had to prioritize between a fully functional radar and collision avoidance. Since I have never driven into anyone in 18 years of driving but I often encounter radar, I prioritized the fully functional radar.

I wish there was a laser based option for collision avoidance, or even better a separate FCC mandated exclusive frequency for collision avoidance systems.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Agree. That is a very useful feature. Wish I had that.

I just had to prioritize between a fully functional radar and collision avoidance. Since I have never driven into anyone in 18 years of driving but I often encounter radar, I prioritized the fully functional radar.

I wish there was a laser based option for collision avoidance, or even better a separate FCC mandated exclusive frequency for collision avoidance systems.
I don't have it nor I wish I had it - well on long interstate commutes maybe, but not on metropolitan highways I drive the most.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
It just amazes me that whenever the topic of speed is brought up, it invokes so much emotion. We've been conditioned to accept and protect mediocre drivers abusing all sorts of lane/traffic disciplines and frown up anybody wanting to pass them and move faster. I really wish everyone in their lifetime was offered a free ticket to Germany (or many other EU countries) to see true road discipline and true 'excessive' speeds causing no harm to anyone. Dream on, I know....

North American definition of "safety" has been so twisted over the years. 'Safe' driver who blocks the left lane at speed limit with a burger in his mouth is committing no traffic infraction, while unsafe driver 'speeds' and 'recklessly' tries to pass him on the right... I give up...
Actually, for the past few years in the State of Pennsylvania it has been a traffic violation to drive in the left lane except to pass.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
Actually, for the past few years in the State of Pennsylvania it has been a traffic violation to drive in the left lane except to pass.
It's about time.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Do you need to have head up display to have Active cruise control? Or HUD will be a nice feature to have with ACC as it display some of the ACC status on the HUD.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmerc View Post
Do you need to have head up display to have Active cruise control? Or HUD will be a nice feature to have with ACC as it display some of the ACC status on the HUD.
It is not a must, but it is very very nice.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)

Last edited by Chuck W.; 05-12-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
For me the main drawback of ACC is that I cannot use it in high-speed heavy traffic - the minimum distance interval of the BMW ACC is greater than what will be accepted by other rush-hour drivers in the DC region, resulting in continuous cut-ins by others. The standard rush-hour distance interval is much less than optimum for safety, but it is what it is, and you have to accept it if you want to travel efficiently on the Beltway.

On the other hand, I enjoy engaging the ACC for an hour or so on less congested interstates. It's not perfect, and the acceleration/deceleration it calls for when I or others change lanes is different than what I prefer, so I usually override the system in those situations. However, it is safer than standard cruise control, and will protect you in certain situations where reliance on standard cruise would result in an accident. Bottom line for me - I like it but could live without it. BMW has priced the ACC just right, so that I consider it is expensive, overpriced, and necessary to stop and think whether to spend the money, but I WOULD get it again.

I'll have to look for some other threads to spout off about tail-gating, lack of lane discipline, and generally incompetent, inconsiderate driving which is the norm around here. If the driving experience is a 10 in Germany and a 1 in India, Philippines, etc, I would rate DC as about a 4.

2001 540i; Sport, Nav (retired)

1998 540i (retired)

Last edited by Morseman; 05-13-2012 at 12:53 PM.