Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Taking apart the key

Does anyone know how to fully disassemble an F10 or F01 key?

I am researching a mod, and I need to fully disassemble the key, not just open battery cover.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 PM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
What's the mod?
2011 550i Xdrive, Sophisto Grau, Anthracite/Black Dakota, Active/ventilated seats, Cold Weather, Convenience, M Sport, P2, SAT, HUD, top and side view cameras, power rear sunshade, split fold down seat, comfort access, SAT Radio, rear view camera, 35% window 3M tint, Dinan Stage 1 (soon)
Old 12-15-2011, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 10 toes
from what I can tell is that you would probably need to cut it with an exacto knife to be able to get into the hardware. It's hard pressed with some sort of glue, there are no screws. I guess that's smart to keep the weight down.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:55 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzles View Post
What's the mod?
Trying to build a credit card key. Will move the RFID chip to a Lexus credit card key replacing the Lexus RFID chip.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 12-16-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Trying to build a credit card key. Will move the RFID chip to a Lexus credit card key replacing the Lexus RFID chip.
Oooo... I think mazda has those credit card keys as well.

I have a 3D printer, you've given me a plethora of ideas.

That makes total sense. Since you have the convenience package... you literally do not need any of the buttons on the key fob... thus eliminating 99.99% of the size.

Genius sir... genius.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I can't help you but I like this idea. A lot.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 PM
YodaSyrup

Mein Auto: F10 535i, X164 GL450
"Trying to build a credit card key."

Really? You don't like the ginormous key fob BMW gives you?

2011 535i Sport 6MT
Old 12-17-2011, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
How do you open the fob to get access to the battery? This is a sorry question, I know, but I do not want to damage the fob when trying to figure out how to open the thing.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:40 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
How do you open the fob to get access to the battery? This is a sorry question, I know, but I do not want to damage the fob when trying to figure out how to open the thing.
Take off the back cover like this, and battery is underneath.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 12-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
I'm not 100% positive but the key fob covers could have been ultrasonically welded (similar to thermal welding). If that's the case, splitting the covers means you can never put them back again. Good luck on converting to a credit card size key. Keep us posted, please.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic-Force View Post
That makes total sense. Since you have the convenience package... you literally do not need any of the buttons on the key fob....
Yes and no. I occasionally use the button that opens the trunk remotely (my 2011 does not have the "wave your foot under the bumper" feature), and the button that allows me to lock the car remotely. (When I have those "oh crap, did I lock the car?" moments.)

Also if you want to lock the car and disable the interior motion sensor (e.g. leaving your dog in the car while you run into 7-11), you can push the lock button a second time. I am not aware of any way to do this with comfort access.

Finally, the "Panic Alarm" button could come in handy, even if it's just to keep the local teenage riff-raff from drooling on the car. Hopefully neither my wife nor I will ever need to use if for its intended purpose.

I do like the idea of the credit card key, but you will lose some functionality if you go that route.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I like this idea a lot.... So does the comfort access portion of the key fob not require a battery? I never thought about it, but I guess it makes sense that it wouldn't. Just a passive circuit of some kind. Good luck with this mod, and keep us updated...

2012 535i
Space Gray / Black Dakota / Anthracite
Premium - Premium Sound - Tech - Cameras - Active Cruise
Old 12-18-2011, 08:22 PM

I'm not much knowledgeable about they key tech, but I think they use a rolling key type security, meaning in order to copy it, you'd have to copy the algorithm rather than a simple key code... So if that's true, doesn't it mean it does need power?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
My guess is that where the car simply 'senses' the key being near by or in the cabin doesn't require a battery- just the RFID chip. The transmitting functions, however (unlocking from a distance, etc) do require the battery.

I thought this sounded like a neat mod, but the fact is that I still like to use the remote functions on the fob, even though i have comfort access. Courtesy lights and remote trunk are too valuable to give up.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
My guess is that where the car simply 'senses' the key being near by or in the cabin doesn't require a battery- just the RFID chip. The transmitting functions, however (unlocking from a distance, etc) do require the battery.

I thought this sounded like a neat mod, but the fact is that I still like to use the remote functions on the fob, even though i have comfort access. Courtesy lights and remote trunk are too valuable to give up.
Of course you can still open the vehicle and turn on the lights with the iPhone app...
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM
SMW

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i well equipped
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
I have a 2008 X5 and originally you could only close the trunk from the button the hatch, but when it gets coded in a little, it will be able to be operated from the button on the dash and the fob to open and close the trunk.

Do the new 5 series have the ability to close the trunk from the fob/dash button or do you still have to press the button on the trunk?