Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Steel is where it's at!!!

Mein Auto: '12 550i x & '12 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTz View Post
I have been a BMW 540/550 guy for over a decade and have just driven the new 550i. I loved my E39, my E60 I loved less because of its terrible automatic transmission personality, and the new 550 didn't really excite me too much (turbo throttle lag, more isolation from the road?).

I tried the Infinity M56 and it left me wanting. Needlessly stiff ride, plasticky controls, and overly agressive driver "helper" controls. The Jaguar was nice but I would like to see at least a couple years of good reliability data.

Another frustration point with BMW is their attitude. Like I should be honored they let me buy one of their cars. We don't get that at Lexus. The four year maintenance was a good concept but in practice if the computer doesn't produce a code you aint getting warranty service and the computer rarely thinks anything is amiss. So when your transmission bucks when stopping, or hesitates between gears everything is "fine" and no service will be done (no computer code produced). Consumers speak with their wallets and my relationship with the dealership has a bearing on what company's car I will buy next.

I never owned an Audi but recently drove an A7. It was surprisingly (to me) very competitive with the BMW 550. A little less room but the same vroom. It has excellent road manners, very good acceleration (lots of low end torque), and the interior is quite nice. There are some new quirks that a BMW ownwer would need to get used to (like good responsive customer service) but this is a car I would be happy to drive.

If BMW would pay more attention to their owners and get back to more direct driver to throttle designs (a lot less computer personality decisions versus driver decisions) this would be a no-brainer and I would be buying my third 5 series. But alas that is not the world we live in. There really is no compelling drive trait that would stop me from considering that Audi A7. A shame.
I hear you on the Audi. I think my true first choice would be an S6, but they won't be released in Canada until next September, and I'm not sure that I can wait that long. I'm also assuming that it will be a good $10,000 - $15,000 more than a similarly equipped 550i. Hard to justify such a difference in price for such a small difference in performance.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i
MT? How is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
My requirements for a car:
1. Conventional manual transmission, including a clutch pedal.
2. A lot of other stuff.

That pretty much limits me to BMW. (And I hope my sales guy isn't reading this.)
How do you like your 550 with manual? Sounds great to me.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA540 View Post
How do you like your 550 with manual? Sounds great to me.
It *is* great! I just love it. I miss a few things from my prior car (E90 M3): mostly the exhaust sound, especially at startup and higher up in the rev range. I would also ratchet up the suspension settings -- have Comfort be what's currently Normal, Normal would be current Sport, Sport would be firmer than that, and Sport+ would be close to M5 stiffness.

Still, the car handles and performs well. The torque on the 550i is intoxicating. I'm getting to appreciate the ARS and how well the car corners for a vehicle of its size and mass. For my driving (which is a mix of low-speed back roads and highway driving), the car is superb. And having had the chance to drive it in Germany, I can really appreciate the capabilities it has.

After more than 30 years of driving manuals, and doing a couple of mornings a week in stop-and-go traffic, I'm still delighted to get behind the wheel, knowing that driving it takes both hands and both feet.

Previously...
'11 F10 550i M Sport (ED Aug 1, 2011; US deliv, Sep 12, 2011)
'08 E90 M3
'07 E92 335i: ordered Nov '06; delivered Jan '07, totaled Sep '08.
'02 E39 M5: June 2002 - June 2007
'00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i + VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i (regretfully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
Anyone with the wherewithal to buy say a Ferrari 458 couldn't give a **** that a GT-R may be faster for less - it's well worth the premium to them, and they are the ones writing the check. Sometimes you don't even have to leave the garage to win
I don't know about that. I meet a lot of F Car owners at local meets and they do seem rather perturbed that my little Nissan is faster than their cars. They may not admit it up front, but dig a little bit and you can see it come through.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
a bit of deja vu....but I would suggest...

550i GT

Dynamically - matches up with a 550i very well

Indeed, when driven back to back, I found the 550i GT to be the more engaging, despite its 7 series girth, due to its superior more tactile steering (early versions of both).

Luxury - the GT is 7 series based - 7 series seats - not available on the F10 - fit, finish, and features of the 7 series, the best back seat of any BMW.

Cool Features not available on F10 - including panoramic sun roof, frameless doors,. large Nav screen, luxury back seating.

Functionality - able to carry X5 levels of freight with ease - great if you wish to throw your bike in the back, mountain trekking gear, dogs etc.

Aesthetics - GT - strong provocative styling v. F10 - conservative persona - to each his own but my GT engendered smiles, compliments, and thumbs up almost every day I owned it - this in car jaded DC metro area. Most people perceived my GT to be a competitor to more expensive cars.

Value - a 7 series endowed with enhanced functionality and 550i levels of performance at a 550i price.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: '09 535i; bought back
"The MB was interesting actually and IMO probably, right now, a superior car. "

What do you think about the CLS550?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski69 View Post

i think it's a gorgeous car but it doesn't quite compete with the 550i. i suppose its competition for the new 6 series sedan, A7, etc owing to the 2+2 outfitting

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual

Last edited by highyo; 12-29-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I considered it briefly, but finally am going with the 550i. Main reasons were the brand (not sure what statement Mercedes makes) and the styling interior and out (I like the 550i more).
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: '11 Jag XF || '05 CLK55
I currently drive a 2011 XF (not XFR) but it has same interior except XFR has much better seats. I had a BMW before and I can honestly say I miss little things like the way the buttons/switchgear feel. The Jag people haven't quite figured that stuff out. There's also other parts on interior that don't have a substantial enough feel e.g. the shifter paddles have a cheap feel when you run your fingernail over the overly plastic composition. The chrome accents surrounding the "rise from the console" shifter dial are made of plastic that looks like chrome and not metal. The windows let in a ton of IR heat compared to my BMW which must have had some special coating. Neither was/is tinted. The infotainment screen is way behind current technology.

Design-wise the exterior is stunning even though it's 2 model years older than F10. I've received significantly more comments/praise about this car than all my other cars I've owned in past 12 years combined. My car sits just outside my office and everyone who comes to see me does see my car before entering my office. XFR is even more stunning with it's more aggressive front air dam, vents on hood and lower side sculpting.

All said it is a very satisfying car especially when pressing the pedal and listenting to the sound that enters the cabin. Great job Jag did there. Tranny is not 8 spd or anything but it is quite adept at shifting up or down especially in sport mode. Handling not as glued down as a MB/BMWs I've had though however the XFR and SC models have adaptive suspension which would probably solve this issue. Steering inputs fine.

Bottom line IMO is that if you can look past the interior/tech items you are getting quite a driver's car with the XFR. And for what it's worth, more exclusivity.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 550i
Jag vastly improved the interior and exterior this year for the XF line. Older XF models don't compare expect with the great exterior design... But, even so, it's not on par with BMW as far as the electronics goes. I feel strange saying that because really, I've never thought German cars had good "gadgets" ... I just always pegged them as a decade or more behind..

The MB CLS is beautiful and really unique. I prefer the jag body, but I think MB has really done a good job lately. However, the CLS wasn't mapping to my space requirements so I didn't consider it. I find it odd now that I'm starting to feel like MB are more connected to the road though. I sure hope the M5 changes my mind!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 AM

I checked out the XFR. I didn't get to drive it due to weather, but got to start it up and play with the infotainment. It is slow. Everything is delayed, and non responsive. You touch a button on the screen, and you're not sure if it registered, because it takes about 2 seconds to react. That includes the start button. You have to hold it for 2 seconds before it starts. If the infotanment system were the same as BMW or Audi, it would be a no brainer. I would have an XFR on order.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
a bit of deja vu....but I would suggest...

550i GT

Dynamically - matches up with a 550i very well

Indeed, when driven back to back, I found the 550i GT to be the more engaging, despite its 7 series girth, due to its superior more tactile steering (early versions of both).

Luxury - the GT is 7 series based - 7 series seats - not available on the F10 - fit, finish, and features of the 7 series, the best back seat of any BMW.

Cool Features not available on F10 - including panoramic sun roof, frameless doors,. large Nav screen, luxury back seating.

Functionality - able to carry X5 levels of freight with ease - great if you wish to throw your bike in the back, mountain trekking gear, dogs etc.

Aesthetics - GT - strong provocative styling v. F10 - conservative persona - to each his own but my GT engendered smiles, compliments, and thumbs up almost every day I owned it - this in car jaded DC metro area. Most people perceived my GT to be a competitor to more expensive cars.

Value - a 7 series endowed with enhanced functionality and 550i levels of performance at a 550i price.
Capo - what happened to your GT?!?! What did I miss?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Capo - what happened to your GT?!?! What did I miss?
I bought my GT for my family....it was never intended to be "my" car. Prior to the GT, I was driving a 335i E93 6MT. At the time of purchase, I found the GT to be intriguing. Over 12 months and 20K miles, I grew very fond of the car. I consider the GT to be perhaps the most engaging Big BMW.

However, my needs at home changed, and the opportunity arose that allowed me to return to my sports car roots...think salmon being compelled to return to the source....ditto. Vrrooom!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
I bought my GT for my family....it was never intended to be "my" car. Prior to the GT, I was driving a 335i E93 6MT. At the time of purchase, I found the GT to be intriguing. Over 12 months and 20K miles, I grew very fond of the car. I consider the GT to be perhaps the most engaging Big BMW.

However, my needs at home changed, and the opportunity arose that allowed me to return to my sports car roots...think salmon being compelled to return to the source....ditto. Vrrooom!
Aha, I see. Hopefully those changing needs were not the result of anything negative or traumatic.

Enjoy the last N/A M Car!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:

Vrrrrrroooooooommmmmm, the sole GT driving lover of that misconception sold out, so this forum is now (happily for all of us) back to just nice looking cars.
Copa, I hope you are enjoying the car you have chosen for yourself.

Congrats!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Aha, I see. Hopefully those changing needs were not the result of anything negative or traumatic.

Enjoy the last N/A M Car!
All Good! Thanks! The M3 is a very special BMW....just unbelievable....I have just begun to explore its subtleties...can not wait to get beyond 1200 mile purgatory period... and just nail it! Vrrrrrooooooommm!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Vrrrrrroooooooommmmmm, the sole GT driving lover of that misconception sold out, so this forum is now (happily for all of us) back to just nice looking cars.
Copa, I hope you are enjoying the car you have chosen for yourself.

Congrats!
I didn't sell out - I love BMWs and I thought my GT was an incredibly engaging ride...I returned to my sports car roots...

Sophisto, I am absolutely positively enthusiastically enjoying my M3.....Vrrrrrrrooooooommm!

Last edited by Capobranco; 12-30-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 AM
2012 550i x-drive DSB

Mein Auto: 2012 550xi DSB
Quote:
i drove the new cls550 the same day i settled on the 550xi. the car is not without merit, and i find it much more attractive than the outgoing style... but the cls550 is cramped bigtime. neither the front or 2-seat back came close to the 550i or E550 for room/comfort. i think that is more of a coupe competitor with 4 doors, like the panamera.

I'd say the main competiton for the 550i is:

E550 - ugly and dated yet arguably more functional computer/nav, NA engine with no turbo lag, better/softer luxury ride, markedly worse sport handling

Jag XF - (didn't testdrive because of no awd option)

bmw x5 - slightly more jostle/tophesvy ride, more rear seat room, more upright seating. as the best handlikg suv out there, it's really the only one that can be considered sedan competition imo.

Last edited by davesf; 12-31-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post
i drove the new cls550 the same day i settled on the 550xi. the car is not without merit, and i find it much more attractive than the outgoing style... but the cls550 is cramped bigtime. neither the front or 2-seat back came close to the 550i or E550 for room/comfort. i think that is more of a coupe competitor with 4 doors, like the panamera.

I'd say the main competiton for the 550i is:

E550 - ugly and dated yet arguably more functional computer/nav, NA engine with no turbo lag, better/softer luxury ride, markedly worse sport handling
Actually, the 2012 E550 has a 4.6 liter twin turbo V8 (producing 402 bhp). If you want the 382 bhp NA motor, you would have to find a leftover 2011 E550.

So if you want a NA engine in this class you are left with the Infiniti M56 or the Panamera S (which is much more expensive than the 550i xDrive). Oh and for 2012 the MB E550 is all wheel drive only.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 12-31-2011, 04:26 PM
2012 550i x-drive DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
Oh and for 2012 the MB E550 is all wheel drive only.
That is seriously ironic. Last year if they had been able to produce a 2011 E550 4-matic to sell me without a 4 month wait I might have bought one! I couldn't get myself to special order it though. I just don't feel like a MB or monochromatic color guy. Much happer with my DSB 550xi.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post
That is seriously ironic. Last year if they had been able to produce a 2011 E550 4-matic to sell me without a 4 month wait I might have bought one! I couldn't get myself to special order it though. I just don't feel like a MB or monochromatic color guy. Much happer with my DSB 550xi.
Nice! Who doesn't love Deep Sea Blue? Great color. MB doesn't have many great colors on the E Class IMHO. Their silver, black and white are nice but the colors not so much if you want something bold.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 12-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
All Good! Thanks! The M3 is a very special BMW....just unbelievable....I have just begun to explore its subtleties...can not wait to get beyond 1200 mile purgatory period... and just nail it! Vrrrrrooooooommm!!!!!

I didn't sell out - I love BMWs and I thought my GT was an incredibly engaging ride...I returned to my sports car roots...

Sophisto, I am absolutely positively enthusiastically enjoying my M3.....Vrrrrrrrooooooommm!
Can you tell me the difference in drive from the GT and the X6. While don't look exactly alike (I personally find the X6 to be a muscle-y looking GT). What would the advantages of the GT be over the X6?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:

Congrats Capo! Quite a change from the most controversial BMW to the most celebrated. I know you loved the GT but the M3 is in another league. Program M-drive to DCT - D5, Power button on and Servotronic - Sport. Then give her the beans on a nice deserted back road and let us know how long it took to get the grin off your face . When broken in of course...

Last edited by solstice; 12-31-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:44 AM
2012 550i x-drive DSB

imo these 2+2 coupes (a7/cls550/panamera) are a pretty different market segment. while the broader 550i appeal might snag some of their buyers, they have limited appeal to the mainstay 550i purchaser. Price was not a factor for me (other than sensibility) and none of them were even an option for my recent purchase because of 2+2 seating (i need a center rear facing infant seat for our new addition).. the outgoing 2011 2+2 x6 also wasn't an option but the new 2012 was. i don't think many looking at the panny would heavily consider the 550i.. more likely the a7, cls550, and x6.

550i/e550/a6/s6/xf/xfr are all sport luxury cruisers (family/executive)... all of them handle a rear facing infant seat in the middle-back and still fit 3-4 adults. x5/x6 are a semi reasonable alternative, as well as the 550gt. s6 will be a worthy option. a6 3.0t just didn't have the satisfying grunty power of the 550i (or my outgoing 2005 audi s4 v8). while the audi a6 setup has a quicker throttle urgency from a stop, i didn't mind the tamer starts for family-land, and 40-70 felt much better to me in the 550i/e550. i also felt the 550i dynamic drive helps the 550i span the widest range of handling, possibly second only to the infinity on the sport side (which i didn't drive for lack of rear fold downs), and the e550 on the comfort side. that allows dad to keep it calm for baby and family, yet turn it up a notch so it's not family limo all the time. i fidn't drive the xf because awd is a must for me (kudos on the e550 going all-awd)

really if we narrow it to family sport luxury cruiser, where child seats, rear seat gold downs, ride-comfort, and the safety of awd are all factors, i think it's just 550xi / e550 / a6 / x5 / x6 / (plus the avant models, including 550gt)

Last edited by davesf; 01-01-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
P>BMW in price and resale value accross the model lines. Sorry
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcyr View Post
(not sure what statement Mercedes makes)
"I'm the sh*t".

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.