Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 11/86 528e, 89 Ford E350
e28 Front Suspension Rebuild Kit

Howdy Folks,
You 1986 528e's front end needs to be rebuilt. the steering is sloppy/loose (drifts around in straight aways). the car does not take bumps well, the suspension is clunky and there is a vibration at higher speeds. Are there kits available for the control arms, steering linkage, sway bars, etc.... can anyone recommend one? Of course i am on a budget, so price is a concern.
Thanks in advance,
george in cincy
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2011, 10:57 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoduch View Post
Howdy Folks,
You 1986 528e's front end needs to be rebuilt. the steering is sloppy/loose (drifts around in straight aways). the car does not take bumps well, the suspension is clunky and there is a vibration at higher speeds. Are there kits available for the control arms, steering linkage, sway bars, etc.... can anyone recommend one? Of course i am on a budget, so price is a concern.
Thanks in advance,
george in cincy
There are kits available, but be very careful about quality. I would not use any cheap aftermarket components, you'll be sorry in the long run. Stick with Lemforder, Boge, Meyle, Febi, Bilstein, etc. Sometimes you save the most money by carefully buying each part individually. You may also want to check out the myE28.com forum. There's lots of info available there regarding suspensions.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
There are kits available, but be very careful about quality. I would not use any cheap aftermarket components, you'll be sorry in the long run. Stick with Lemforder, Boge, Meyle, Febi, Bilstein, etc. Sometimes you save the most money by carefully buying each part individually. You may also want to check out the myE28.com forum. There's lots of info available there regarding suspensions.
Thanks for the prompt response
I will check out my E28.com
Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E90; 1984 E28
I rebuilt the front suspension components of my E28 with used strut housings from Bavarian Auto Recycling Inc (My bottom spring plates were completely rusted away) and got the rest at Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com). I have been very happy with all of the parts. I also purchased some parts I couldn't find at Bav auto from RMEuropean.com and was happy with what I received.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2089 View Post
I rebuilt the front suspension components of my E28 with used strut housings from Bavarian Auto Recycling Inc (My bottom spring plates were completely rusted away) and got the rest at Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com). I have been very happy with all of the parts. I also purchased some parts I couldn't find at Bav auto from RMEuropean.com and was happy with what I received.
Bob2089, Thanks for the lead. i finally got the car up on a lift. the tie rod end and center link are worn out. Bavarian Autosport has good prices on their replacements. do you know if the tie rod end assemblies are the same for right and left?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E90; 1984 E28
Quote:
Bob2089, Thanks for the lead. i finally got the car up on a lift. the tie rod end and center link are worn out. Bavarian Autosport has good prices on their replacements. do you know if the tie rod end assemblies are the same for right and left?
No problem! Good luck with the project. I do believe the tie rod assemblies are the same for the left and right.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
The tie rods are the same left and right. I recently bought a Beck/Arnley center link from Rockauto for $40 on a closeout. Beck/Arnley usually supplies very good quality parts.