Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Question license plate light error

I got a left license plate light error last week. Decided to change it out since only the right one worked. Went with LED upgrade from Amazon. Got them yesterday and they look great. I still get left light error and now I also get right light error. Kind of expected that and doesn't really bother me tbh.
Now the problem is that the right one (the side that was still good) now tells me the right side light doesn't work every 2 seconds. Or whenever it feels like it. Sometimes there's pauses in between and sometimes for 30 min straight or whatever the length of the trip is. The left one tells me it the error only when I turn on the car and that's it. It is just the right side doing it. I tried stitching LED lights from one side to the other and switched them with the housing as well with the same results. Only time it stops is when I put the original bulb back on that it stops. So now I have one LED light and one yellow stock light lol.
What can I do or check. If not then which LED lights do you guys recommend. Maybe it's just the light at this point.
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750Li
It's most likely your led lights. You need to get error free ones. A lot of them will throw the errors because it uses such little watts that the computer reads it as a burned out bulb.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:45 PM

I understand it throws out the error but just once you turn the car on but should not be popping up every 5 seconds right?
Also which would you suggest or anyone suggest to get?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

The car detects the bulbs by measuring their resistance. The eBay LED ones probably has the wrong resistance. Either get the ones that have similar resistance as the original bulb, or code the car so that the car does not monitor the bulbs.

Usually there are two monitoring settings, Cold and Warm. Cold means the bulb is not turned up, eg. when you first turn on your car during the day. Warm is when the bulb is turned on.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Just get canbus bulbs. I have them for all my lights inside and out. No errors