Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5
2005 x5 : Selflevel suspen. Inactive

I just bought my 2005 X5 about 3 weeks ago and I got this worning on my dashbord saying : SELFLEVEL SUSPENSION INACTIVE.

What do I need to do to get it fixed? Any good mechanic you may suggest or I should just take it to BMW dealer but I don't wanna pay the big bucks if I can find a way to safe it.

I live is White Rock, BC but I can take it any where it to any mechanic if he worth the drive.

I will appreciate your reply.

Thanks

L.
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2011, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: E53
What's the status? The Fault was also triggered on my X5 after a long drive. After being parked during dinner the light went away.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4 Sport Dinan
I had that happen to my 2003 X5 a few years ago. Luckily mine was fixed by replacing a fuse in the hatch area, and only happened once.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X-5
I have the same issue from time to time. Mine usually comes on at start up and i can shut it down and restart the car and its off. Anybody have any idea what the deal is with that? What triggers that?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Wholeo1955

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 BMW
Self leveling not working

I had the same trouble, I came home, just as I went to go inside, the passenger bag blew up, what a noise, many things coiuld be doing things that should not be happening,,,,,,,

Go in the back, get to under where the spare tire is located

Take out the spare tire, then you may see the problem, but you might have do unassemble the items that are down inside that entire area!!

# 1 issue they have a little black box, thats what controls the compressor that levels the car SEE if that is wet or you find that you have a lake in the back of the car!!!!!!!!

If the box is wet it more than not is all corroded, they cost around $150, ,,,,

then if after changing that if you found HIGH TIDE, in the BEHIND, and could very well mean that the compressor about $1700.00 +or- has become fried as well..........

IF thats what you have found, I sugest you remove one o the rubber plugs thats supposed to allow the water to drain, remove it and do not have that be the cause of additional,
The water in mine was ready to flow into all the electronics and that would have caused a fire, because that amount to replace will have exceded the value of the car,,,,, I almost think that I have not had another issue with that....... Good Luck....
Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 2006
Just had the same message come up on the control panel "selflevel Susp. Inact". It came on a week ago then seemed to fix itself. Today after parking on a slant the control panel read the same thing, and I could hear a soft hissing sound from below the car. Took it to check air in tires all are fine, so it's obviously the suspension. Plus the drivers rear wheel area is noticeable lower than the rest of the car. Wanted to check the fuses but the manual warns NOT to touch the fuses... Any suggestions or recommendations on what my next step should be?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Wholeo1955

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 BMW
Self Level inactive

You should look at the fuses in the rear passenger side door in the cargo area, that is where that fuse will be located, when you pull off that door standing at the back looking toward you right that door has fuses and relays, look at the info that is printed out on that door, that will tell you the fuse number to check. Also you should be able to look at that fuse, I think its a 30 amp fuse, if it shows blown then you need to change it to turn the compressor back on, sometime they do blow, but if it happens again, I would have it looked at, to see what the cause if from,,,,, Good Luck