Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 530i
Thanks G16, Hope everything is going well. Ive solved most of my problems. Will be picking up a Disa repair kit in the near future and not sure if I need a new unit. I have a Question for anyone here. If you close the flap and hold your finger over the small valve, Does it remain completely closed. When I do this with mine it opens slightly. Im thinking a leak in the diaphragm. Any input anyone.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Quote:
If you close the flap and hold your finger over the small valve, Does it remain completely closed. When I do this with mine it opens slightly. Im thinking a leak in the diaphragm. Any input anyone.
If you are talking about the little hole in the housing that's near the flapper, it is isolated from the vacuum pot unless a voltage source is connected to the DISA, and covering it will have no effect on the valve. If you are talking about the hole on the side of the vacuum pot than you are correct. If you close the valve, plug the hole, than release the valve, the valve will spring open about 25-35% due to the elasticity of the air. This is actually a good way to test the vacuum pot for leaks.

Gary

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown
Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 530i
If you close the valve, plug the hole, than release the valve, the valve will spring open about 25-35% due to the elasticity of the air. This is actually a good way to test the vacuum pot for leaks. That was the answer I was looking for, I thought that it would stay completely closed, Guess you' ll be receiving my order shortly.Thanks Gary
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i 2002
Got my disa repair kit today. Must say, it is very easy to fit, instructions are very good. And craftmaship of the kit is superb.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
im in for one
Old 03-11-2012, 02:41 PM
'Fest Sponsor

I received these pictures yesterday from a customer who purchased a kit. This was pulled from a 2003 530i with 70,000 miles on the odometer. It had already been replaced once before.

Clearly there is something that affects service life on these things. This is the worst I've seen with far less miles on it than others that appear to be in good shape with well over 100K miles. I can only guess that it is a combination of the original manufacturing tolerances (how tightly the lever & valve fit together) and the owners driving habits. If the car sees mostly highway miles, rarely revs over 3K rpm, & happens to have a DISA with tightly fitting parts, the DISA will last much longer. But that's just a guess on my part.

Gary

- unknown
Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 02' 530i
Clearly there is something that affects service life on these things. This is the worst I've seen with far less miles on it than others that appear to be in good shape with well over 100K miles. I can only guess that it is a combination of the original manufacturing tolerances (how tightly the lever & valve fit together) and the owners driving habits. If the car sees mostly highway miles, rarely revs over 3K rpm, & happens to have a DISA with tightly fitting parts, the DISA will last much longer. But that's just a guess on my part.

Gary[/QUOTE]

That is how mine looked when i pulled it out 2 weeks ago. My car has 230,000
Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Maybe the manufacturer uses the same "mold" for the plastic and it started to go slightly out of tolerance, but still "good" in their books?
Good thing you're doing the kit Gary. Can't wait for mine to arrive and change that scary plastic "guide bushing" or whatever it's called and the flapper.
The bad thing is it's out of sight - you pretty much have to pull it out and check it, but then in the back of your mind is: "now if pull the DISA, I need a new O-ring...well, I have no issues, I just leave it in there. Maybe next time". And next time it might be too late....

That pic is scary.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Can't wait for mine to arrive and change that scary plastic "guide bushing" or whatever it's called and the flapper
I'm surprised you don't have it yet.

Gary

- unknown
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary@germanautosolutions View Post
I'm surprised you don't have it yet.

Gary
What I learned over the years is to be patient. And patient I am, Gary. Thanks for helping us out here.
Any update on the CCV?
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: E36, E39
I've had this new aluminum DISA valve in for over a week and put a few hundred miles on it. Looks good and and I feel confident with it. Great job Gary!

At 120k miles, my OEM DISA valve was in great shape. The pin was in tight and the valve itself was still sturdy. The white lever was in so tight that I broke it trying to pry it out. It was a pain for me, so I decided to very carefully drill it out without damaging the housing.

Everything went well and I'm wondering why BMW didn't engineer it this way from the beginning...

I'll be eagerly awaiting for a CCV solution.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5-speed
The photos are from my 2003 530i 5-speed. Actually I believe this to be the original part. I got the car at 27k miles. When I added the AA C38 S/C at 47k miles the DISA was removed during the install, but the same one was reinstalled. I didn't notice anything unusual at the time.

My driving is probably 60/40, city/highway. Even though I've got the supercharger, it's only in boost occasionally and typically at 5-6 psi.

I replaced the parts with the upgrade kit last night and will reinstall in the car today. Very nice kit and I'm so glad I took the time to inspect my valve although I wasn't experiencing any noticeable problems.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Gary
Quote:
It had already been replaced once before
udm95
Quote:
The photos are from my 2003 530i 5-speed. Actually I believe this to be the original part.
Sorry I got this wrong. I must have misunderstood something in his email. I definitely was not intentionally trying to mislead anyone.

- unknown
Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Good news!

The 2.5L-2.2L versions of the DISA kit are shipping today.

I want to sincerely thank everyone who preordered the 2.5L version for their patience. I know I pushed back the ship date a couple of times.

I need to catch up on machining 100 titanium screw blanks then it's on to the CCV design. I have really regretted the delay in making progress on that product. The DISA thing took longer to wrap up than I had hoped.

Thanks again everyone.

Gary

- unknown
Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM
'Fest Sponsor

I have received a lot of suggestions on changes to the DISA install instruction page and you will see the results of that input shortly. Thanks everyone for your comments. I will also be adding a link to a PDF printable version of the instructions.

I have had one person express having trouble with removing the the old molded in seal from the housing. Has this been a problem for anyone else who has purchased a replacement an o-ring or a repair kit?

I'm thinking about making up a cheap tool for that purpose that will be sold as an option with the kit. What do you think?

I had someone order a kit for a 330xi that ended up having a 2.5L intake manifold and DISA valve in his car. Every reference I checked showed that the 330xi used the 3.0L DISA valve. I have to assume that he new what vehicle he was driving so does anyone have any idea on this discrepancy?

Gary

- unknown
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Quote:
I have had one person express having trouble with removing the the old molded in seal from the housing. Has this been a problem for anyone else who has purchased a replacement an o-ring or a repair kit?

I'm thinking about making up a cheap tool for that purpose that will be sold as an option with the kit. What do you think?

Gary
I used a pick to help scrape out the OEM O-Ring:

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
I used a pick to help scrape out the OEM O-Ring:
You didn't have any problem with scratching or gouging the o-ring groove? I usually suggest a narrow flat blade screwdriver.

Gary

- unknown
Old 03-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Quote:
You didn't have any problem with scratching or gouging the o-ring groove? I usually suggest a narrow flat blade screwdriver.

Gary
I initially started with small screwdriver, but with limited success. Switched to the pick and purposefully worked slowly around the perimeter of the housing, applying as little pressure as I could.. There was no percievable gouging, but perhaps it is advisable to use a less pointed tool.

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530I - 2012 535I
I agree with you 100% I have 158000 mostly highway miles with original disa still looking good so far.I will keep you to my agenda for a new kit.

Quote:
I received these pictures yesterday from a customer who purchased a kit. This was pulled from a 2003 530i with 70,000 miles on the odometer. It had already been replaced once before.

Gary

Last edited by franan; 03-16-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: change my mind
Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Quote:
Good news!

The 2.5L-2.2L versions of the DISA kit are shipping today.

I want to sincerely thank everyone who preordered the 2.5L version for their patience. I know I pushed back the ship date a couple of times.

I need to catch up on machining 100 titanium screw blanks then it's on to the CCV design. I have really regretted the delay in making progress on that product. The DISA thing took longer to wrap up than I had hoped.

Thanks again everyone.

Gary
Looking forward to its arrival. I've got a lot of maintenance to do but this one looks the quickest and easiest.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: Titanium Silver 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by albo View Post
i initially started with small screwdriver, but with limited success. Switched to the pick and purposefully worked slowly around the perimeter of the housing, applying as little pressure as i could.. There was no percievable gouging, but perhaps it is advisable to use a less pointed tool.
I used a small, narrow slotted screwdriver that was narrower than the o-ring groove to remove most of the o-ring. Used a toothbrush (of all things) and the toothpick used to plug the vacuum hole in a previous step. With a little bit of patience, I was able to get virtually all of the old o-ring out of there.

By the way, Gary was very helpful late on a Saturday night / Sunday morning as I dealing with a few minor issues as I was finishing up the project. Thanks to Gary for great customer service and for a great product!

2003 Titanium Silver 530i
Bellaire, TX
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
HI Gary,
My 2004 330i is now on 110k km and it seems the DISA has recently developed some flapping noise. So I was looking to buy your kit to retrofit.

I initially thought the noise could be caused by a free spinning flap. But today I took out the DISA and found it in relatively good condition. The flapper can still be opened or closed by the actuator. It is held open by the spring mechanism in normal conditions and the mechanism seems to be fine. The pin did not pop out (but also not tightly fitted as I can pull it out by hand).

The flapper and the frame and base are all quite oily. As you can see this photo when I swipe my finger on the surface. Is it normal, or there're some leak problems?

I will order the kit anyway, just wondering whether your kit will fix the flapping noise problem? Thanks!

Last edited by Eurong; 03-18-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
My 2004 330i is now on 110k km and it seems the DISA has recently developed some flapping noise. So I was looking to buy your kit to retrofit.

I initially thought the noise could be caused by a free spinning flap. But today I took out the DISA and found it in relatively good condition. The flapper can still be opened or closed by the actuator. It is held open by the spring mechanism in normal conditions and the mechanism seems to be fine. The pin did not pop out (but also not tightly fitted as I can pull it out by hand).
If the flapping noise was coming from the DISA it would have to be from a loose flapper valve. You said it seemed to be in good condition, if there is any loose movement at all when you try to twist the flapper back and forth than the DISA is worn and could account for the noise. The pin being loose does mean that there it is some wear on that end. They are pressed in quite tightly when new.

Quote:
The flapper and the frame and base are all quite oily. As you can see this photo when I swipe my finger on the surface. Is it normal, or there're some leak problems?
It does seem a bit oily for a car with 110km. It could be caused by a number of things, bad CCV, clogged CCV drain back (dip stick tube), ring issues etc, but nothing related to the DISA it self.

I hope I have helped in some way.

Gary

- unknown
Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
If the flapping noise was coming from the DISA it would have to be from a loose flapper valve. You said it seemed to be in good condition, if there is any loose movement at all when you try to twist the flapper back and forth than the DISA is worn and could account for the noise. The pin being loose does mean that there it is some wear on that end. They are pressed in quite tightly when new.
It could be the loose pin, although I didn't wiggle the pin or the flapper to see whether it was loose. I was just surprised that the flapper did not spin freely. Too late now.

Quote:
It does seem a bit oily for a car with 110km. It could be caused by a number of things, bad CCV, clogged CCV drain back (dip stick tube), ring issues etc, but nothing related to the DISA it self.
That's no good. Seems my next project will be the CCV? Looking forward to your CCV kits! Is there quick way to investigate or determine bad CCV, clogged CCV drain back (dip stick tube), ring issues? Are there any other symptoms on these issues to help isolate it? My car drives ok except that flapping noise. I just don't want to take everything apart again. (once dropped a screw down the engine bay and took ages to retrieve it. Never want to experience it again!)

Last edited by Eurong; 03-18-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Just placed the order. How long does it take to ship to Australia?