Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Beemer fan

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i
gary@germanautosolutions
'Fest Sponsor

Gary, I received one of your 3.0i DISA Valve rebuild kits back in Feb. I am so lucky that the original valve stayed together long enough to let me rebuild the thing. We have a 04 X3 3.0i. it now has 87,000 miles. The DISA valve was ready to fall apart. When I removed it, the yellow teflon pivot lever was worn to the point that it did not even hit the flapper valve. The stainless pin was partially out but the only thing keeping the flapper from falling into the intake manifold. The new kit installed, functions great. The fuel mileage is back to 20.5 combined and 24 Hwy. The performance is back. Thanks for such a great solution.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: 03 530i MS
I fitted this kit last week, the OEM was in perfect condition I must say. Did they improve the material quality etc over the years, mine being an 03?
Great kit, well made, as noted most tedious bit was removing the old O ring.
Good to know it's in though.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i Sport 5 Spd
I fitted my kit on Saturday. Everything went fairly smooth on my car with 187,000 kms (116,000 miles). The pin was ready to fall out when I initially pulled the valve out of the manifold. It's a good thing we were warned to remove the valve slowly to reduce the chances of the pin falling into the manifold. +1 to what hgstu said about removing/cleaning the old seal. That took a while. I also replaced my CCV valve and all associated hoses while I was "in the area". That was fun.

Thanks for a great product Gary!

2002 530i Sport Package 5-speed
Style 42s for summer
Style 29s for winter
CDV delete
Skibag retrofit
G.A.S. DISA Valve Repair Kit
G.A.S. 1.2 Bar Expansion Tank Cap
Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Thanks again everyone for the kind words and support. I've said this before, but a LOT of effort went into the design of that kit and the instructions.

I would also like to warn everyone that there are now Chinese and Russian copies of our kit out there. I'm actually very surprised because I always thought that anyone that looked into all of the detailed machining, anodizing, bead blasting, custom titanium screw, etc, plus all the extra stuff that's included in the kit, would think that it would not be worth their time to copy.

So far they seem to be lower quality kits and selling at a higher price than our kit. Seems like a strange business model to me! In fact, neither knock-off kit includes a titanium screw! One kit says it's an aluminum screw, and the other implies that is an aluminum screw. Since the maximum loaded point in the system is the pin area at the end of the screw, aluminum in that application scares the crap out of me. I understand why they would try to eliminate the titanium screw since it's an expensive part of the kit. We couldn't even find a titanium screw manufacturer here in the U.S. or even in Asia, that would make the screw to our spec's and hold the tolerances we wanted. We ended up have screw blanks made and machining the critical threads and pin here in house.

I not really worried that these knock-offs will hurt our sales, I am worried that they will be confused with our kits and give DISA repair kits 'in general' a bad name. Especially if they start failing and causing problems. If people start posting on forums that they bought a DISA repair kit and it failed, it will tend to make many people shy away from them all together.

If you guys see any posts in this regard please let me know.

Thanks,

Gary

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown

Last edited by gary@germanautosolutions; 04-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530iA
Thanks for the heads up Gary. I would be willing to bet that anyone on this site that is going to be doing this to their DISA would buy your kit as I know I will when I get to it and I have only had my car since October. I have just started to dig into it and do some of the things I have learned. Are those new repair kits selling on ebay?
TomK
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Ordered my kit this morning! Anxiously awaiting arrival. So tired of listening to the racket. Thanks Gary for your valuable efforts. The input from the rest of the posters in this thread is greatly appreciated as well. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report in the near future.

One quick question for you Gary. Why is the flurosilicone o-ring not available with the combo pack option? I would gladly pay for the upgrade. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary@germanautosolutions View Post
there are now Chinese and Russian copies of our kit out there.
Hi Gary,
I'm surprised too. They made knockoffs that fast? Wow. The State Department warned us many times that tens of thousands of individuals, secretly paid by the Chinese government, are spying on our tech industry on a unprecedentedly massive scale, but I didn't know they were spying on the forums too!

Hope you continue to help us, despite that obstacle!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Gary, maybe you should patent your stuff. I would also emboss your logo (GAS) on the DISA kit just like on the 1.2 bar exp tank cap.
Make it clear for people how to spot the real deal from the fake. And have hi-res pics to show it on your product (site), so buyers can recognize your products.
Otherwise you will loose with the shameless "businessmen" that unscrupulously copy one's work, with low quality final products, which eventually can destroy the reputation of the original product.

TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: e46 325i
Email me I'm interested in a kit for my e46 325i elination19@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2013, 01:12 PM
BMW driver/rider

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP/05 12GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTsiCk View Post
Email me I'm interested in a kit for my e46 325i elination19@gmail.com
http://germanautosolutions.com/
Old 05-19-2013, 10:21 PM
retiredat44

Mein Auto: BMW
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Very nicely done. That mod/repair would appear to make the DISA valve last the life of the car, as long as the vacuum component doesn't fail.

BMW does seem to be a little too addicted to plastic these days.
I was kinda shocked to find out how much sheap plastic BMW saturates it's cars with... they really make a person feel cheated wehn they find to much plastic... and it's pretty flimsy,,, I have it break often if I touch it with shaky fingers or apply a tad to much pressure just in the normal course of operating the car.. I just don't understand why they did this over the top running amuk on plastic part...

I have stated in several threads befor ethis comment, the amount of cheap plastic is way to much and unexpected... I have no clue if they learned their lesson in never cars, or just keep filling them up with cheap plastic... the performance and looks is fanatastic.. the plastic is rubbish...

IMHO

Disabled Veteran:
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
I was kinda shocked to find out how much sheap plastic BMW saturates it's cars with... they really make a person feel cheated wehn they find to much plastic... and it's pretty flimsy,,, I have it break often if I touch it with shaky fingers or apply a tad to much pressure just in the normal course of operating the car.. I just don't understand why they did this over the top running amuk on plastic part...

I have stated in several threads befor ethis comment, the amount of cheap plastic is way to much and unexpected... I have no clue if they learned their lesson in never cars, or just keep filling them up with cheap plastic... the performance and looks is fanatastic.. the plastic is rubbish...

IMHO

Good luck finding a car without a lot of plastics (especially since 2000). What you are experiencing is not necessarily cheap plastic (it's actually pretty high quality plastic), but old plastic. The use of plastics in the engine bay was fairly extensive in BMW's since the late 90's, and continues to grow in the models after it. The F30 has a plastic oil pan. For the most part, plastic works fairly well. The problem is that as it ages, it gets more brittle. That is what you are experiencing now.
Most people think that using plastics means that the manufacturers are cutting costs. In some ways they are, but not where most people think. The initial cost of a plastic part can be as high as, if not more than a metal part. The molds for a plastic part can run from the hundreds of thousands up to millions of dollars. But the appeal of plastics for manufacturers is the dimensional consistency of a part that comes out of a mold. As long as the curing process is right, then the molds will spit out parts that are nearly perfect duplicates of each other as fast as they can cycle the molds. It is a constant supply of parts that are nearly perfect.
The same part made of metal may pass through numerous machine operations and machine operators, which increases the chance for human error, and adds to the complexity of the quality control processes. Then, you are left with a metal part that must be plated or polished or painted or powdercoated of blackened or anodized. All of these separate steps increase the chance for errors, and scrapped parts. The same part made in a plastic mold may very likely be complete, and ready to be installed on the car as soon as it exits the mold, and it will be a nearly perfect copy of the original design. Also, there is the weight savings, which can be significant.
For the most part, those plastic parts will function perfectly well during the warranty period of the car. Let's face it, that is all the manufacturers are interested in. For them, it is a good bet that there will be no problems with those plastic parts while they are responsible for them.
But for us, the people who own the cars after that 5 year or so warranty period expires, the plastics start to be a problem, particularly in the engine bay. The numerous heat cycles, ozone, UV, and chemical exposure make the plastic brittle, and prone to breakage.
The reality is, the plastics have added a new area of maintenance for the owners of these cars as they age. Now, in addition to the traditional wear items, we have to account for replacing aging plastics in our maintenance routines. It has become a fact of life with an aging car. You have to determine when the plastic has reached the point that it is going to break, and hopefully replace it before it does, especially if it is in a critical area, like the cooling system. I have no doubt that the owners of a 10 year old F30 will be wondering when they will need to bite the bullet, and replace their plastic oil pan. So, it is only going to get worse. At least we have metal oil pans.
Don't get me wrong though. I am not really defending the use of plastics. Personally, it is a PITA. I am just explaining why it is so appealing to manufacturers, and why it will only increase. After all, it is not like there is a manufacturer who offers an alternative, at least not in the same price range. Also, you don't see people refusing to buy cars because there are too many plastic parts. Of course, they are improving the formulation of the plastics as well, to improve longevity. But it will be years before we know if they were sucessful. The manufacturers could care less about the frustrations of people like us, who are driving around in cars that are anywhere from 6-15 years old or more. We are not exactly their demographic. They want to appeal to people who drive a car for 5 years at most, and then upgrade. If you don't fall into that catagory, then too bad. But that is not something exclusive to BMW either.
I suppose we should just be happy that we don't have to face the risk of punching a hole in our oil pans when we are replacing a control arm.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 05-20-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 3.0
I just pulled my DISA valve out and what do you know,,, the lower part of the flapper is busted, ( no more smooth rotation). your titanium or ss
Pin design wouldn't have done that. I need a rebuild kit Gary! Help, I'm new to this forum
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 5-Series
my DISA is under warranty still so I am getting a new one tomorrow since mine started acting up.

so I am ordering the repair kit from your website now

I think you should perhaps edit your first post to include details on where to order and stuff. I noticed your product on both eBay and your website. had to do a lot of digging to actually get to where I would order lol

looking forward for this thing to stop breaking

Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizoo View Post
my DISA is under warranty still so I am getting a new one tomorrow since mine started acting up.

so I am ordering the repair kit from your website now

I think you should perhaps edit your first post to include details on where to order and stuff. I noticed your product on both eBay and your website. had to do a lot of digging to actually get to where I would order lol

looking forward for this thing to stop breaking

Thanks
You must not have dug too hard, since the fist result in a Google search for "Disa Repair Kit" was his company - German Auto Solutions
Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 AM

Mein Auto: 5-Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
You must not have dug too hard, since the fist result in a Google search for "Disa Repair Kit" was his company - German Auto Solutions
Oh no I just didn't notice his name being "gary@germanautosolutions" that it had "GermanAutoSolutions" in it, when I noticed that then that's how I found his website.. that is why it would be nice to just put a link to his website on the first post that's all.

but then again, it was nice reading all about it :P
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Thanks again everyone for the great support you have given this product.

Here is a link to the DISA repair kit page for those how skip to the end of this post.

http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_s...repair_kit.php

Since my people in the beginning of this project were concerned about the unproven reliability of the kit, I will be posting a "Reliability" update in a new thread showing the condition of the a kit after one year in service. So far to date there hasn't been a single know failure issue with any of the kits sold and only one know failure of the stock DISA vacuum pot on any DISA with the kit installed.

Gary

- unknown

Last edited by gary@germanautosolutions; 07-16-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Great work! Subscribing to this thread! My 525 has 111,233 miles and I was starting to wonder about the DISA valve having cleaned the icv recently.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Thanks again everyone for the great support you have given this product.

Here is a link to the DISA repair kit page for those how skip to the end of this post.

http://http://germanautosolutions.co...repair_kit.php

Since my people in the beginning of this project were concerned about the unproven reliability of the kit, I will be posting a "Reliability" update in a new thread showing the condition of the a kit after one year in service. So far to date there hasn't been a single know failure issue with any of the kits sold and only one know failure of the stock DISA vacuum pot on any DISA with the kit installed.

Gary
I bought mine when? Feb/March 2012? Been in since and still works like new. No problems at all.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Thanks again everyone for the kind words and support. I've said this before, but a LOT of effort went into the design of that kit and the instructions.

I would also like to warn everyone that there are now Chinese and Russian copies of our kit out there. I'm actually very surprised because I always thought that anyone that looked into all of the detailed machining, anodizing, bead blasting, custom titanium screw, etc, plus all the extra stuff that's included in the kit, would think that it would not be worth their time to copy.

So far they seem to be lower quality kits and selling at a higher price than our kit. Seems like a strange business model to me! In fact, neither knock-off kit includes a titanium screw! One kit says it's an aluminum screw, and the other implies that is an aluminum screw. Since the maximum loaded point in the system is the pin area at the end of the screw, aluminum in that application scares the crap out of me. I understand why they would try to eliminate the titanium screw since it's an expensive part of the kit. We couldn't even find a titanium screw manufacturer here in the U.S. or even in Asia, that would make the screw to our spec's and hold the tolerances we wanted. We ended up have screw blanks made and machining the critical threads and pin here in house.

I not really worried that these knock-offs will hurt our sales, I am worried that they will be confused with our kits and give DISA repair kits 'in general' a bad name. Especially if they start failing and causing problems. If people start posting on forums that they bought a DISA repair kit and it failed, it will tend to make many people shy away from them all together.

If you guys see any posts in this regard please let me know.

Thanks,

Gary
time to make a custom engraving on the kit somewhere.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
I am curious to know whether the new metal flapper within the Kit might be problematic and prone to condensation because of the fact that metal is a poor insulator...?

Thoughts or experiences...?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 07-16-2013, 03:02 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
time to make a custom engraving on the kit somewhere.
It's not so much being able to identify our product after it's been sold. It's more about people purchasing an inferior product and thinking they purchased the same thing as a GAS kit. We may invest in a LASER engraver in the near future because machine engraving can add a considerable amount of machine time to a product.

- unknown
Old 07-16-2013, 03:07 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
I am curious to know whether the new metal flapper within the Kit might be problematic and prone to condensation because of the fact that metal is a poor insulator...?
The kit has been out for a year and a half with approx 800 sold with zero issues. I just received and disassembled a unit that has been in service for a year and every part of the kit and the original DISA look as new as the day they were installed. I will be posting pictures in a new thread.

Gary

- unknown
Old 08-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: .
Just a double-check....

No plans any more to produce a repair kit for the M52TU DISA ???

Is the failure mode identical?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
800 sold with zero issues.
Hi Gary,
You're well trusted here, and, I would like to suggest something for you to do that might potentially double your sales in the next year.

Most of us don't really know how to properly test the DISA in situ. Sure, we can take it off the car (destroying the o-ring in the process), and we can look to see if the flap pin is loose - but - while it's on the car, it would be nice to have a diagnostic test.

Personally, I've tried to come up with one (see details in the threads listed below), but, if YOU would come up with a decent diagnostic test, then any of us who unknowingly have a bad DISA valve could buy your replacement, BEFORE we take the thing apart.

Just a suggestion.

Here are related links, but I don't think they're all that useful as a simple DIY test of DISA valve operation:
- Where to get a proper DISA valve repair kit (1) & how some jury-rig 'repair' a rattling DISA unit (1) (2) (3) & how the DISA valve operates (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test DISA operation (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & a simple DIY to install an M54 DISA (1) & a nice DISA autopsy (1) (2) & a great DISA group buy (1) & how the disa valve o-ring fails (1) (2) & how it can reputedly cause all sorts of cold-engine rough idle problems (1) (2) & where to get just the DISA valve o-ring (1) & why you want to check the DISA at 100K miles or whenever the airbox is removed (1) (2) & why the DIfferenzierte SAuganlage ("Differential Air Intake") valve flap breaks (1), sometimes with parts sucked into the intake manifold (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a well documented example of how a broken DISA flap can ruin your engine (1) & yet another seemingly complex set of misfire codes reputedly traced to a broken DISA valve (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 08-04-2013 at 01:52 PM.