Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Float On

Mein Auto: 1981 320i
This type of ambition and enthusiasm is what keeps me thinking I'll be able to keep and enjoy my car for a good long time. I'm on board for the CCV upgrade. I replaced mine about 45K miles ago.

Not to stir the pot, but how willing are you to, oh, I don't know, provide an all aluminum radiator/expansion tank with this type of quality at a cost less than Zionsville? Were you to do that, be aware there may be shrines dedicated to and babies named after you.

Last edited by menhir; 01-30-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Excellent news. Can't wait to have it ready, due to the impeding replacement of my CCV!!!!!
I believe your design will sell fast.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Nifty design...!
What about the hoses...?
Hopefully NO plastic connections...!

Thanks!
Jason
Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
Nifty design...!
What about the hoses...?

Thanks!
Jason
By the looks of the design, it has barbed tips which in my mind go with some sort of clamps. As far as the connection to the valve cover - this might be a problem.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330xi
Will the titanium pivot screw cost the same as stainless steel one? I am interested in getting this kit, but not sure if I can wait until the end of Feb! Thanks!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: '03 E39 520I 2.2 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesStillRule View Post
2.5L version probably about 2-3 weeks out.
Kudos to you sir.

If you are planning to sell this to a broader/international market it may be useful to know that the 2.5L DISA valve is also used on the 2.2L version of the M54 sold in other markets.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Update: 2.2-2.5L version CAD models completed. Machine programming and fixturing still need to be done.

Quote:
By the looks of the design, it has barbed tips which in my mind go with some sort of clamps. As far as the connection to the valve cover - this might be a problem.
Don't worry, no clamps and easy on-off, you'll see once the prototypes are finished.

Quote:
What about the hoses...?
I was actually planning on retaining the OEM plastic hose from the CCV to the inlet manifold distribution block. A new one would be included with the kit along with the 6 O-rings. This is a relatively easy hose to replace if it goes bad and I would think should last $75,000 miles? Let me know it everyone hates this idea. The other 2 holes will be high quality rubber and very short.

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Update: 2.2-2.5L version CAD models completed. Machine programming and fixturing still need to be done.

Don't worry, no clamps and easy on-off, you'll see once the prototypes are finished.

I was actually planning on retaining the OEM plastic hose from the CCV to the inlet manifold distribution block. A new one would be included with the kit along with the 6 O-rings. This is a relatively easy hose to replace if it goes bad and I would think should last $75,000 miles? Let me know it everyone hates this idea. The other 2 holes will be high quality rubber and very short.
The only thing I could think of to use instead of plastic would be to use some kind of a adapter at the valve cover, and connect to a typical rubber hose found at Auto-Zone, used with typical screw-type hose clamps...
Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
The only thing I could think of to use instead of plastic would be to use some kind of a adapter at the valve cover, and connect to a typical rubber hose found at Auto-Zone, used with typical screw-type hose clamps...
The valve cover connecton is going to be a short 90deg rubber elbow which doesn't require clamps. The hose we're discussing is the one the snakes up between intake runners and connects to the 6-port distribution thingy. That one uses special connectors, is pre-bent into the proper shape and is the correct length. I thought it would be easier than trying to find something rubber that was pre-formed to fit properly.

- unknown
Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The valve cover connecton is going to be a short 90deg rubber elbow which doesn't require clamps. The hose we're discussing is the one the snakes up between intake runners and connects to the 6-port distribution thingy. That one uses special connectors, is pre-bent into the proper shape and is the correct length. I thought it would be easier than trying to find something rubber that was pre-formed to fit properly.
Correct!!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to synenergy52
Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisum View Post
When I pulled the DISA from my 2003 525 76k miles this week I found that it was stripped and the flap was just flapping in the wind I replaced it with the one I got from the group buy we had a few months ago and now my car runs a lot smoother, no more jerky starts from red lights. I also noticed that at 80mph my rpms dropped from 3k to 2.8k. So a nice pickup in power at mid range

Chisum
Very interesting. My car also has jerky starts from red lights.. im going to test this theory out by unplugging my disa...

Cooling System Guide
Dayco 89133 Mechanical Tensioner Pulley
Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 140k
What's the current status? Have people installed this?
Or should I just buy a new OEM DISA for $180 ?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconoBox View Post

I will give some input next weekend....:-)

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 03 530
How to tell if DISA is bad?

Hi BikesSR,
I still have yet to put my machine together again, but before I do, what is an easy way to tell if the valve is trash? (My m54 has 120K).

If mine's trash, and your's are ready, I'll pull the trigger. Replaced vanos, cooling system, vac lines, oil housing gasket, and this all due to a bad alternator. Replacing all those 9 yr hoses, etc on intake manifold. Oh yeah, and doing the CCV (although it looked pretty good). Lots of carbon on intake runners, but strangely enough, tops of valves look quite clean. Go figure.

Speaking of the CCV, as I recently moved to dfw area, I'm changing it. As turning wrenches I think "What this thing needs is a good 12v heat source", that would help with climate issues I'd think, esp for the poor souls who live in cold areas, and never get to drive in AZ.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i, 2003 M5
I just installed the DISA Valve repair kit. The kit is well designed, high quality and everything included. The flapper valve has a very nice black finish. Very easy to follow the instructions. I did not need to remove any components other than the DISA Valve. My DISA had over 80k miles on it and the plastic bell crank was brittle and one of the retaining tabs broke when removed (see photo). My DISA gasket was flat and just barely sealing the manifold. All in all an easy project and now I don't have to worry about a DISA failure!

You can see my before and after photo.

Tested it after installation and it works as advertised.

I look forward to the CCV mod when you are ready to produce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	310898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	310900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	310901  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:17 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
1st customer called and said installation went smoothly and will be posting regarding the install. Looks like Albo will be installing his this week end.

Quote:
Very interesting. My car also has jerky starts from red lights.. im going to test this theory out by unplugging my disa...
Just making sure you are aware that if it's bad, you will see no change when you unplug it. If it's good, you should see symptoms get worse when unpluged.

Quote:
I still have yet to put my machine together again, but before I do, what is an easy way to tell if the valve is trash? (My m54 has 120K).
You will have to remove it first which is an easy job. Once removed if the flapper has any loose rotational play it is bad.

- unknown
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 140k
Quote:
1s
You will have to remove it first which is an easy job. Once removed if the flapper has any loose rotational play it is bad.
That makes sense as the flap is supposed to block air. I will check mine next time I am under the hood.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
'Fest Sponsor

I'm back.

Can't say I'm terribly happy about how things transpired, especially since I was the one that initiated the conversation about becoming a sponsor. I won't say anymore lest I be banned again. Let's just say I'm just happy to be back as a sponsor.

I'll explain the name later in a separate post, but the gist of it is that you guys convinced me to start a separate company to address common BMW reliability issues. I already have a list of things to make after the DISA and CCV kits.

This thread no longer shows up in my "subscribed" list, nor does it even show up when searched for, so everyone my have to resubscribe to it.

Thanks for your support!

Gary

- unknown
Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Glad to see you back. We were lamenting your absence. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have for the 540. One possibility might be the camshaft locking and timing tools, which are way expensive and should allow you some room to give us a good price while still making you some money.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what you have for the 540. One possibility might be the camshaft locking and timing tools, which are way expensive and should allow you some room to give us a good price while still making you some money.
Again, I don't want to get too deep into other potential projects in this thread, but your suggestion is already high on the priority list. We plan to make enough to keep plenty on the rental shelf, so no waiting lists, and extra kits for sale at an affordable price.

- unknown
Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci
I am very intressted in buying the disa kit possible to ship to sweden?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: Help maintain a 330Ci
I didn't have to resubscribe, in fact noticed this because I got an email notification about the thread.

Look forward to when the DISA kits are ready to purchase
Old 02-07-2012, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Glad to see this resolved. True innovation is what will keep these cars running for another 10 years. Keep up the good work. I am interested in your CCV as myE39 is beginning to spit smoke again.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Gary -

Are you going to have a website so we could purchase your kits?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 AM

He,he,he look who's back!!!!!

Clad that everything is solved.
Waiting to finish the DISA titanium screw and the CCV solution.
There are many more to address, but these are the dangling carrots for now.......