Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary@germanautosolutions View Post
Thanks,...I am in the market for a used and abused, or blown, M62tuB44 engine for cheap. I want one for product developement and fitment. You 540i guys please let me know if this is the most common engine platform.
I'd say it's a tossup between the M62 and the M62TU. There may be more of the M62TU, but the M62's are older and on average may need more attention.

Last edited by bobdmac; 02-15-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Quote:
Sometimes it's referred to as the "VANOS bolt" issue. It caused catastrophic failures in several M3s (and probably other S54 equipped cars), and the rest of us check our bolts every 15-30k miles just in case. I'd gladly pay for a permanent solution, even if it cost as much as $500
Can you post some links to good discussions of this issue?

Thanks,

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown
Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Der ursprünglich....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Quote:
Can you post some links to good discussions of this issue?

Thanks,
Here's a DIY and links to discussions:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=321494

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1496871

http://www.integrityfirstauto.com/En...3s54vanos.html

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

2003 530iA - Mumbo Jumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
'Fest Sponsor

A few updates:
  • M52tu and M54 DISA housing o-rings are now on the website and both are available in 3 different compounds.
  • I may be getting my hands on an M62tuB44 in the next week for product development purposes.
  • My titanium screw blank supplier claims that they have shipping my order after making excuses for several days and making me panic. I was concerned enough that I ordered a dozen titanium screws from a racing hardware vendor at top dollar just in case I didn't get the blanks on time. They set me a picture to easy my mind; I hope they made more than two!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Titanium screw blanks.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	312790

Thanks,

Gary

- unknown
Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: 330CI
So let me just start by saying that the BMW community is very lucky to people like Gary so involved. I was lucky enough to do business with him last week. I had discovered that the DISA valve had failed on my 04' 330ci(daily driver), and quicky contacted gary the fallowing day. Now with me being located on the west coast and he near the east i thought for sure i'd be hosed trying to get to work which is an hour away. anyways i was able to email back and forth with gary quickly and with me willing to buy the kit with stainless hardware instead of waiting for the titanium which would have forced me to buy a complete factory valve for more than $200.
So considering the time difference Gary didnt even hesitate after learning my situation to stay after work and machine me the required hardware and then got the kit next day aired to me the fallowing afternoon.
So with all things considered I requested a part that hadnt even been made yet(or even become available for sale) and i had it installed in my car less than 48hrs later.
This type of costomer service is just un heard of these days, not to mention he didnt even try to get more money for the special request! The only insentive i had to offer was to show the guys at work(Tesla motors) and try to drum up some more business for him.
If any of you guys are on the fence about getting one of these kits i can tell you first hand that it is well worth the money for such attention to detail. Not to mention it is an extremely conservative price for a part that has no competition, except for a $200 factory valve which will just fail again.
Moral of the story is "GO BUY THIS PRODUCT ASAP" You will not be disappointed. Thanks again Gary for an awesome product.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
buy for how much ?

BMW E38/E39 Rear Axle/Differential Bush Tool
Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
buy for how much ?
Prices are on the website.

Gary, the website is a bit weird. Once I press add to basket, I am prompted to my Paypal account or checkout. The thing is, maybe people want to buy different other things - like an additional O-ring, or maybe when you finish the CCV, add also a CCV, then you want to pay, etc. The way the website is setup now, you cannot do it. Can you please fix that?

Thanks
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Gary, the website is a bit weird. Once I press add to basket, I am prompted to my Paypal account or checkout. The thing is, maybe people want to buy different other things - like an additional O-ring, or maybe when you finish the CCV, add also a CCV, then you want to pay, etc. The way the website is setup now, you cannot do it. Can you please fix that?
Once you log into Paypal it will show what is in your basket and give you the option of checking out, or to continue shopping. Each additional item will get added to the cart as you go and give you the option to change qty's or delete items before check out. Once we have enough items on the site and start generating some revenue we will add "Shopping Cart" software. Right now I can't justify the additional monthly expense.

Please keep comments and criticisms coming regarding the website. I know a lot of people are following this thread, but a very few post replies. One question I have is whether you guys think the reference to the sister company FastBikes-USA, and the link to it, are a positive or a negative. My reasoning behind including it was to make people realize that even though this is a new company, it has experience and history behind it. FastBikes-USA has been building high performance engines, dyno tuning and manufacturing performance parts for over 15 years. We have even built and tuned engines for AMA Superbike teams. We are also a major supplier of aftermarket supercharger pulleys to several well know aftermarket automotive speedy shops. (I should probably find some place to include that on the site). I didn't want to give the impression of a guy working out of his garage that may not be around in another year. I also realize that some car guys have a negative view of the Sportbikes community due to the way they often ride like idiots on the street.

- unknown
Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
...(I should probably find some place to include that on the site).
You need an "about German Auto Solutions" button on the home page as a link to your company's bio. That would be a good place to go into the Fast Bikes info.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Der ursprünglich....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Well I installed the kit finally yesterday.... Here are my impressions as posted on BimmerFrms"

Used the GermanAutoSolutions DISA Valve repair kit to finally fix my DISA Valve. It was certainly in poor condition...as soon as I unbolted it ...it started flapping around, loose with tons of lateral play. Also, the existing O-Ring was shot. You could see a few areas where it was kind of wavy and would probably cause a vaccum leak.

Gary's kit most certainly is of the highest quality and I'm glad I bought it instead of another crap OEM DISA Valve.

My immediate impressions are:

I) The kit is first rate in quality, fit and finish. Gary included EVERYTHING necessary to get the job done.

Info and directions can be found here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=588505

II) I immediatley find my car to be idling more smoothly on Cold Start up with an increase in responsiveness off the line. I can definately see and feel that something was amiss with the DISA prior to the rebuild. I am also much more comfortable knowing that the pin that holds the flapper cannot now back out and head directly into the engine. As it turns out, the pin on my valve WAS loose and very easily removed with just the tip of a small flathead screwdriver.

Very happy with my purchase :-)

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

2003 530iA - Mumbo Jumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.

Last edited by Albo; 02-22-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 120k
I replaced my DISA with a new OEM unit for $159.
I am not sure this DISA thing was worth getting worried about,
and might be a case of over-maintenance...

11 year old car (2001) and 120k miles, and my DISA was working perfectly.
First, the O-ring seal was fine (not hard and brittle)
Flap was fine, and the suction hole / vacuum thing worked just like the new DISA valve.

Yes, my pin was loose. I was able to pull it right off the unit.

People are worried about a pin falling into the engine. However, I took a picture of the intake.
You can see that little "cube" area where the pin sites. (You can see the imprint of the pin head)
I'm not even convinced it was a problem b/c of the pictured recess that would trap the pin.
If the pin fell out, there is nowhere for it to go...
If anything if may fall down when you remove the entire DISA, but it can easily be fished out, in that case.
Unless the entire plastic housing shatters, I don't see where the pin could go to....

Last edited by EconoBox; 02-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins

BMW E38/E39 Rear Axle/Differential Bush Tool

Last edited by champaign777; 02-22-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconoBox View Post
and might be a case of over-maintenance...People are worried about a pin falling into the engine...I'm not even convinced it was a problem b/c of the pictured recess that would trap the pin.
If anything if may fall down when you remove the entire DISA, but it can easily be fished out, in that case.
Unless the entire plastic housing shatters, I don't see where the pin could go to....
These photos disagree with you. Note the little red circles on the piston crown and in the cylinder head.

Scroll down about two thirds of the way on this page: M54 help
Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
I am on the same page
If I can replace the whole unit under $160 and it will last another 5-8 years what else do i need ?
The "Prices are on the website" ( i know its a secret ) are not much less than a new unit
I believe the idea is to prevent failure of the OEM plastic parts. It is well documented that these parts can, and unfortunately sometimes do, end up in the intake manifold. From there it's only inches to a cylinder, and then - well we all know the rest. From my standpoint, if these metal parts eliminate the possibility of a trashed engine, I think it's well worth the cost. And as a machinist myself, I can guarantee you the guy is not making a bundle of cash on this deal. I look at it as an insurance policy.

Just my perspective..................

Jerry
Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Apparently that is what has happened in extreme cases. Once the flapper valve is no longer constrained by the worn mechanism it can flap around until it self destructs and can break the housing framework in the process.

Are you sure your DISA is the original unit? Mine had 110K miles on it and it was wasted.

- unknown
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
And as a machinist myself, I can guarantee you the guy is not making a bundle of cash on this deal.
As the guy making them I can guarantee this guy is correct.

Quote:
If I can replace the whole unit under $160 and it will last another 5-8 years what else do i need ? The "Prices are on the website" ( i know its a secret ) are not much less than a new unit
I'm not going to argue that point except to say that there are apparently enough people who would rather spend 1/3 the cost of a new DISA from the dealer, or 1/2 the best cost available on-line to improve the reliablity of the system, and have the added insurance of broken parts not going thru the engine. Again, I'm not trying to start an argument over this, just stating what the response has been to the product so far.

Econobox, I would be willing to purchase your old DISA unit from you. I need another used unit for doing destructive testing.

Gary

- unknown
Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Bob, yea, I know all those pictures. That's why I replaced my DISA in the first place...

Anyway, after removing my 120k mile DISA, I can see the logic for Gary's cheaper solution.
My DISA is still rock solid. Nothing feels brittle in any way. Just the pin was loose.
If I were more experienced, I think I'd have pulled the DISA, seen it is solid and has lots of life left, and opted for Gary's cheaper solution.
But, with this E39, my general attitude has been, if I bother to remove it, I am just replacing it with a new one while I'm there. Easier.

Gary, there's no record of the Prev.O changing the DISA anytime after 65k.
I highly doubt it was replaced before that.

Also, PM me about buying my original DISA unit.
I was actually going to sell it, b/c there's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by EconoBox; 02-22-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
I would like to be on the list of beta users too.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
13 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
I would like to be on the list of beta users too.
Beta season is gone. The kit is for sale on the web.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Flap was fine, and the suction hole / vacuum thing worked just like the new DISA valve.

People are worried about a pin falling into the engine. However, I took a picture of the intake.
You can see that little "cube" area where the pin sites. (You can see the imprint of the pin head)
I'm not even convinced it was a problem b/c of the pictured recess that would trap the pin.

If your pin was lose, and you place the DISA back, you're playing with fire. And if that pin would fall in your engine, you would get no sympathy from any of us. At least you changed it with a new unit.

Last edited by doru; 02-22-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: 02' 530i
Im sure with 230000 miles on the odometer i need to repair mine. How much you asking for the kit?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
Quote:

You can't base such statements on your own personal experience. A sample size of one means nothing. So, yours has not failed. Good for you! I have read about 15 others that have failed, and have caused engine damage. The pin can go in to the intake manifold. Where does that lead? Thanks for your analysis. I will balance it against all of the other things I have read. But don't mistake a lack of failure for a lack of potential failure.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
If your pin was lose, and you place the DISA back, you're playing with fire. And if that pin would fall in your engine, you would get no sympathy from any of us. At least you changed it with a new unit.
Oh, here's the part I left out. I pushed the pin back in, flush. And then I was unable to pull it back out. The crud around the housing probably helps to keep it in.

I were to do it again, I'd simply pull out the DISA once in a while and check it. If the housing is not cracked, just push the pin back in, and see if it stays stuck in. If so, just keep using your DISA.
Maybe scrape out old gasket, and install new $2 o-ring while you're at it.

Last edited by EconoBox; 02-23-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
You can't base such statements on your own personal experience. A sample size of one means nothing. So, yours has not failed. Good for you! I have read about 15 others that have failed, and have caused engine damage. The pin can go in to the intake manifold. Where does that lead? Thanks for your analysis. I will balance it against all of the other things I have read. But don't mistake a lack of failure for a lack of potential failure.
You're welcome. I agree with your conclusion, as well. This is a judgement call for each to make on their own.

I never said the DISA can't fail. I said mine was fine after 120k. n=1. People can take from my post what they will. Personally, if I were on a budget, I'd find other parts to replace before doing this part, if my DISA was intact and functioning. Since I am a newbie who is enjoying replacing parts and learning, I prefer to just replace anything I bother to inspect.

Lastly, if you want to get technical, 15 posts about failed DISA's also just as meaningless, b/c we're discounting the other potentially 100,000 other DISA's that didn't fail. Silent majority.

Last edited by EconoBox; 02-23-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 04' BMW 330Ci Convertible
Hello Gary,

I am set to order a DISA Valve Kit when the pivot screws are in!

I recently replaced the DISA O-Ring to solve a old start problem I was having (got that fixed) but I noticed my DISA flap moves freely. The parts have failed just like you describes.

My actuator works when I plug/unplug the unit so I know my vacuum and diaphragm are in good working order.

Just say the work my good man & I will place my order! Thank you for your hard work and drive to make these components better.

I look forward to reporting my results!

-Nickvjr