Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 5-Series
Popping/Clicking Sound in Pillars

Greetings all,

After I've had my X35i for roughly 6 months the car started to develop a popping/clicking sound coming from one (or more) of the driver's side pillars. I've done some research on this site and it compares closely to the following post...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=578972

The car has been in the shop for a week now and they've failed to determine what the issue is. When I dropped the car off I stated my concern about weld issues in the pillars and I asked them to check that out. Even though they can't identify what the issue is, where it's located, or what is causing the issue, they have not hesitated in stating it's definitely NOT an issue with the pillars.

How does this sound to any of you? I'm really concerned about the safety of the car at this point. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I can do next? The dealer still has the car and will be looking at the A-pillar and taking apart a piece of the dashboard.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfliegionOfDoom View Post
Greetings all,

After I've had my X35i for roughly 6 months the car started to develop a popping/clicking sound coming from one (or more) of the driver's side pillars. I've done some research on this site and it compares closely to the following post...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=578972

The car has been in the shop for a week now and they've failed to determine what the issue is. When I dropped the car off I stated my concern about weld issues in the pillars and I asked them to check that out. Even though they can't identify what the issue is, where it's located, or what is causing the issue, they have not hesitated in stating it's definitely NOT an issue with the pillars.

How does this sound to any of you? I'm really concerned about the safety of the car at this point. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I can do next? The dealer still has the car and will be looking at the A-pillar and taking apart a piece of the dashboard.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!
1) Educate yourself on the Lemon Laws in your state
2) Wait for one of the experts (like Ard, Mike, etc.) to chime in. I'm not an expert, so I can't help with this, but if BMW can't fix it, you might have a claim under Lemon Law.

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 E60 535i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
2006 E90 330i (Jet Black / Sand Beige)
2003 E46 325i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
First thing is this: you must establish there is a problem with the car.

While it may be obvious to you, as a matter of facts you will need a documented fault. This should come from the dealer. You want a work order saying 'car make noise that is not normal'... doesnt have to be a correct diagnosis, but something that shows a BMW dealer agrees with your assessment of the fault.

You should not get too crazy with the dealer or BMW until you've established this documentary evidence. You don't want the dealer to begin stonewalling you with "no issue found, road noise normal", etc. Be nice as pie, totally agreeable, until AFTER they've crossed the line on lemon.... but don't get too heavy right away.

A
Old 01-07-2012, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5
same thing. help please

I have already posted once about the same issue with my x5 but wanted to wait until it went to the dealer for service. I drove the tech around for about 1/2 hour. He did hear the popping/clicking. They kept the truck for two days. They claim they removed all the trim from the a-pillar back to the hatch, and placed a felt-like material in all contact areas before replacing it. This was done by two techs, one driving, the other sitting in the back seat. When I retrieved the truck the service writer told me to try it out and call back if the noise was "still driving me crazy". Needless to say, it is still there so I did some investigating on my own. I drove the truck over the same rutted parking lot for over an hour. Here is what I found:
1. It sounds like it is coming from the area between the a and b pillars.
2. It is not affected by retracting the sunroof.
3. It occurs less often if the driver door is open. Naturally the window has no impact on the noise.
4. I cannot duplicate it by pressing any of the trim, roof, rails, etc.
5. It is most common when the truck is torqued by the right front wheel slowly going up an incline like a driveway or into a depression. Hitting a bump head on does not create the noise on a consistant basis.
I need help please.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 5-Series
Definitely take ard's advice above. My car is still in the shop and has been for almost 4 weeks now. It took them about three weeks to finally find the issue - which turned out to be a broken spot weld in the A-pillar. During the entire process I've been very patient with the dealer and have approached the issue in a professional manner.

While they did re-weld the broken spot weld it wasn't something I was comfortable with keeping for 2 main reasons. 1) Safety - nobody can be 100% sure that the car is completely safe. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But it's a manufacturing defect that I just didn't want to take a chance on. AND 2) Value - The value of the car has been greatly diminished. Both for resale and for the long-term prospects (it was purchased and I plan on keeping it a long time).

After I politely declined to drive the car for a few days after the fix the dealer did come back and say they would replace the car. So kudos to my dealer!

My advice is to be patient, courteous, and professional in dealing with your issue. It does sound like what I was experiencing so you may need to keep on top of it.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
they do make a microphone system for cars where they can place sensors all over, to determine where the noise is coming from.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:42 PM

A pillar click

Truck is back for second "service" regarding the popping/clicking noise in the "A" pillar area. The dealer has had it for a couple of days and reports that the BMW regional manager, "engineering", and the body shop are trying to find the cause. Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docboss View Post
Truck is back for second "service" regarding the popping/clicking noise in the "A" pillar area. The dealer has had it for a couple of days and reports that the BMW regional manager, "engineering", and the body shop are trying to find the cause. Suggestions? Thanks.
If it was my car and they came back saying broken spot welds, I would tell them you do not want the car anymore,then send off a registered letter to BMW telling them the same thing that
you will never feel safe in that car.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
As someone who has been planning to order an X5 at the end of the winter, the above posts and the older ones to which they refer are a bit scary. I would assume that spot welds are done by robots with duplicate repititions. If one weld in one vehicle is bad, then the same weld is bad in every vehicle that robot welds. If this is the case then th NHTSA should be involved in this. I would not be comfortable with a dealer keeping my car for four weeks and taking it apart to fix welds. Anyone out there know if BMW is looking into this? The dealers must have some input from the manufacrurer and vice-versa.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Truck has been in shop for a few days. Dealer has been great so far. BMW is bringing in "engineering" and regional director to look at truck. Will advise. I would be interested to know the build dates of trucks showing similar issues. My truck was built December 2010. The x5 loaner has no issues although the rear hatch seems to make more noise than I experienced on my x5.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: x5 e70
my 2011 x5 is having the same exact issue. dealer said they reviewed the tech note about applying tape but didn't since they said it would look tacky. guess i need to start writing letters....?!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 AM

Save yourself some time and effort. There are several threads that apply to this issue. Copy and highlight the pertinent points and take them to the service manager. Be nice but do your homework on your state lemon laws. If no satisfaction is forthcoming, have your attorney give the case to a young, hungry and less expensive associate. Stay in touch.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
This is distressing for someone who plans to give up an RX350 for an X5. In this same X5 forum there is someone with a transmission problem in a 1000 mile vehicle and no good response from a dealer. That sounded like a computer malfunction; this sounds like a build-quality problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
This is distressing for someone who plans to give up an RX350 for an X5. In this same X5 forum there is someone with a transmission problem in a 1000 mile vehicle and no good response from a dealer. That sounded like a computer malfunction; this sounds like a build-quality problem.
Remember that the vast majority of posts on websites like these are because people are having problems and they are looking for solutions.

I have a '12 35d with a December '12 build date that is just fine in terms of pilar welds (as far as I know) and I'm sure their are 10s of thousands of people just like me.

As long as BMW is fixing the problem cars/issues I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. It does suck for those going through issues, but if you wanted a 100% perfect car everytime it went down the line it would cost more then you and I can afford.

Even 6 Sigma has some defects

Jay
Old 01-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
Time to share my experience

For those doing research on this issue, here is my case...

I have the plastic-like creaking/popping issue. After several attempts by the dealer to identify/fix including felt/Teflon tape etc, the shop foreman was finally able to hear this noise. The noise is tricky to trigger so they would hear it, put in a fix, test drive it and think it was fixed. I found a good road very close to the dealer where I could usually recreate the noise. The shop foreman could now predictably hear the noise.

The Dealer contacted BMW Engineering and they told them to remove all the dressings/coverings in order to help isolate the noise. I always described it as the b pillar behind my seat or the rear passenger door. Turns out they found a bad spot weld on the A-pillar.

The resolution involves removing the windshield, correcting the weld, re-painting and who knows what else.

My estimate is that my car will be ready in 10 days. They have already had it for 7.

Does anyone feel that I should be asking for more than just getting my X5 repaired? In the case of asking them to take it back, what should I expect as trade-in value? My X5 is 13 months old and 13-14K miles.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Sport Act on ord
Had the same issue. BMW gave me $12k and sold me a 2012 at cost. Do not let them fix it.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

I will send you a PM. Would love to chat.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
my first service is due in 1k miles, I will report creaking/popping issue

BimmerVSR, before giving the car to the dealer, did you try to open the doors or lower the windows? it helps in my case

anyway, yesterday i recorded video with the sound of my X5 - sounds like very old couch

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

yes I did. That seems to be the way to differentiate between the door seal making a noise and a spot weld issue. Of course the dealer tried the Teflon Tape solution anyway and of course it did not fix it. The Dealer has now diagnosed the issue as a bad spot weld in the A-pillar. The noise traveled as I would have sworn it was in the B pillar.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
So I understand in your case lowering windows or opening the doors did not help?

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

No, it did not. Now I am faced with a "repaired" x5 that likely will have this on the car fax. What will that do to my future trade-in value?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: x5 e70
In my case opening the door, putting pressure on the windows or having it down gets rid of the noise. Think it's a weld issue or just poor design?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 PM

popping

Dealer had my x5d for two weeks. Problem seems solved. PM if you want details.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
my first service is due in 1k miles, I will report creaking/popping issue

BimmerVSR, before giving the car to the dealer, did you try to open the doors or lower the windows? it helps in my case

anyway, yesterday i recorded video with the sound of my X5 - sounds like very old couch

Having to take videos of my issues too. Mine is not for sounds though. I don't know how you have dealt with it for this long. That would be driving me nuts. Actually, I would probably be going deaf because I would be trying to use the radio to drowned it all out.

GL
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docboss View Post
Dealer had my x5d for two weeks. Problem seems solved. PM if you want details.
can you just post the fix?
think even those that don't have the problem would like to know.