Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Well I don't know about the iphone maps, they are pretty questionable.
There are issues with the maps, but I'd rather deal with that than the many other problems with the BMW nav.

Also, Waze does not use Apple's maps. And there are other iPhone navigation apps that don't use Apple's new maps. Keep in mind, too, that Apple is working hard on addressing the issues with maps, and they have a history of correcting problems and issuing updates regularly.

You think BMW is going to jump right on this and release a much improved nav system? Oh, and if they do...$500 to update is what I heard...
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
There are issues with the maps, but I'd rather deal with that than the many other problems with the BMW nav.

Also, Waze does not use Apple's maps. And there are other iPhone navigation apps that don't use Apple's new maps. Keep in mind, too, that Apple is working hard on addressing the issues with maps, and they have a history of correcting problems and issuing updates regularly.

You think BMW is going to jump right on this and release a much improved nav system? Oh, and if they do...$500 to update is what I heard...
First it will take years for apple to catch up to say a google. And you are right a history of correcting... here is a bumper for your phone... go stand in line for next year when its fixed...LOL But that is another story.

"You heard" about a fix that does not exit for an issue that has not been quantified or defined as an issue. Where did you here about the fix on a bathroom wall? I mean at least back up your statements with facts or personal info.. You have a 2013 which is a completely different NAV then the one these folks are referring.. Look at decaf - he actually posted pictures so we could see and understand. I heard... ughh you great hearing guys are everywhere on the internet...

BTW - "I heard" they are giving away Ferrari's... did you hear it too LMAO

Last edited by miamiboyca; 12-06-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix Dinan S3
I can 100% confirm that the 2013 Maps are messed up and in many cases a complete waste of money. They don't seem to take you to the correct location and will deliver you to an address 1/4 mile away or, in some cases, further away. My MY2013 550 has been into BMW twice where at fist, they thought it was me, then I had to make them try to get the nav to take them to a few addresses, then had them try on another MY2013 (a 7 series). Then, I had them test it on a MY2012, and it worked just fine and would plot the address correctly on the map. I am waiting for them to get back to me, and now have been playing phone tag w/ someone and BMW NA to help me resolve this and compensate me for the time and fuel I have wasted over this screw up. Who knows how far I will get, but I an not happy as I just moved to a new city and don't know how to get anywhere w/o nav.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by readthis13 View Post
Who knows how far I will get, but I an not happy as I just moved to a new city and don't know how to get anywhere w/o nav.
Ah man, bad timing. Bummer.

My 550 is on order and should be here around Feb 1. I am anxious to try it out to confirm the problems in my area (Utah).

-Corey
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Quote:
First it will take years for apple to catch up to say a google. ...
Don't be so sure. Google changed map sources a couple of years ago and they suffered form the same imprecision as Apple maps and BMW Nav. You know it's bad when an address on Long Island is geocoded by Google to sit somewhere in Schenectady.

The point -- There's lot's of rubbish in the map sources, each has their strengths and weaknesses...

2010 535i: Deep Sea Blue | Natural Brown | ED: 6-Aug-2009 | 2013 535iX GT: Neptune Blue | Venetian Beige | ED: 31-Aug-2012
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740IL
I have an 01 E38 and it made my radio go out after 4minutes but not power off .
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiClyde View Post
Don't be so sure. Google changed map sources a couple of years ago and they suffered form the same imprecision as Apple maps and BMW Nav. You know it's bad when an address on Long Island is geocoded by Google to sit somewhere in Schenectady.

The point -- There's lot's of rubbish in the map sources, each has their strengths and weaknesses...
Google has been gathering their own data for years now (think street view) that's a lot of time and money. Yes Apple can throw that money at it but time is something none of can buy. We will see...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Ah man, bad timing. Bummer.

My 550 is on order and should be here around Feb 1. I am anxious to try it out to confirm the problems in my area (Utah).

-Corey
I too am looking forward to trying this out, as the NAV in Germany was SPOT On!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
Here in Chicago, the NAV has worked quite well for me. No issues at all. It's just about as good as the NAV in my Honda odyssey (same one in the Acura).
Really? For just one example...

Set navigation to take you to an address on State Street - 800 S. will work

head west on the Stevenson from Lake Shore Drive
exit at State street

the nav system will instruct you to make THREE left-hand turns instead of simply turning right at the top of the ramp.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
I am not the only one that has posted that this thing works well for them. It may not have worked for where you need it, but it has worked well for me. I have used it from the NW burbs, to the South Burbs, North Side, downtown, and it works as well as the NAV in my Honda Odyssey. Sometimes it does not do recalculation of the route as quickly as the NAV in the Odyssey (it always does it instantly!) does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Really? For just one example...

Set navigation to take you to an address on State Street - 800 S. will work

head west on the Stevenson from Lake Shore Drive
exit at State street

the nav system will instruct you to make THREE left-hand turns instead of simply turning right at the top of the ramp.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiClyde View Post
Thought you might get a kick out of this article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...703&s_cid=e703
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ah5
Quote:
Thought you might get a kick out of this article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...703&s_cid=e703
I have a feeling that bmw sources map the at the same vendor as Apple does.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 PM

I seriously doubt that...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
I seriously doubt that...
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/a...om-ios-6-maps/

Both from TomTom

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The 2013 map data for BMW is Tom Tom? I think it's Navteq.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The 2013 map data for BMW is Tom Tom? I think it's Navteq.
It's definitely not navteq, navteq is used by Google maps.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 5
The map is ok on it but it has no clue how to optimize for traffic and divert. In NYC it loves park ave where the lights are not timed and is generally congested. It LOVES timed square and will try to take bevthere any time I leave town. My TOM TOM which I paid $100 for completely blows it away. I use both together and follow the Tom Tom 80% of the time which is sad. Instead of proposing alt routes it will consistently lead me directly to the Jam. Loves the LIE as well which cracks me up when I am on the northern state at full speed and can literally see the traffic on it while it tries to get me to switch Over. Incidentally, it shows the jam so it knows it is there but is too dense to do anything. I have checked all settings and confirmed everything is up to date with dealer. It is by far the weakest link on the car. Luckily the car is a joy otherwise and I get around the issue by using the TOMTOM which also frees up some monitor for alt views or entertainment. Be careful if you set the avoid tolls option. I didn't realize it was on when in NJ and rather than say it can't be done, it tried to take me 200 miles out if the way. No smarts whatsoever. The TOM TOM in same situation tells you no route. It also has a feature to show current speed on current road which the car does not offer and shows how long you have till you hit the next traffic spot and how long the delay is. I can't believe they don't offer at least the same options for paying over a grand. Luckily the car really is a joy to sit in and to drive aside from the NAV
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonalec View Post
...It LOVES timed square and will try to take bevthere any time I leave town. ...
Probably just wants to take in a show.

Actually, I also find that in general it assumes that the major route is always the best route. On my way home from work it always wants to route me 5-6 blocks out of my way to a major street instead of just directing me to take a left onto a minor street which takes me to my garage it 2 short blocks. Crazy.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Here is my today's navigation.
I assume "Fast route" should be fastest, but here it offers longer both time and distance. How they did that? Do they have issues comparing 13:50 and 13:49 and understanding that latter is faster?..

Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesterk View Post
I assume "Fast route" should be fastest, but here it offers longer both time and distance. How they did that? Do they have issues comparing 13:50 and 13:49 and understanding that latter is faster?..

How many traffic lights on those routes?

Probably they have variance on wait time in traffic lights accounted, but not displayed in average ETA.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 550ix Dinan S3
According to BMW, they have released an update for those w/ the 2013 Maps to help fix some of this (how much? no one can tell me). I will try to take mine in today and see if anything is fixed. I was also told by the tech there that the maps were from Tom Tom...
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesterk View Post

lol these pics make my day
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM

The current 2013 CIC maps data (just released a month ago) is TeleAtlas/Tom Tom. Good news is the Navteq will be back soon. But I don't know it it will help us.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328 xi
This is one of those easy things to "complain" about since you do not need to be a vehicle expert to compare products. Most of us have used others navigation system and can fairly compare these products (this is in response to the poster calling us whiners).

The bottom line is that compare to my old dashboard GPS this system sucks. Today I was driving low on gas and needed a fuel station. I went through 4 of the closest gas stations listed in the points of interest before finding one that actually existed. One of them was shut down so it is possible it was a recent closing. But when following the other 3 I was brought to places where there was no sign of a gas station anywhere near the vicinity.

One more (and I have 10), when missing a turn or an exit, instead of just recalculating from where you now are, the GPS insists on bringing you back to the spot where you sent of course. For example, I miss an exit. I know I could just eat off the next exit, make a few turn, and be there. Instead, the GPS insists I get off the exit, make a u-turn, get back on the highway, only to make anothe u-turn toget back on my old route.

Last edited by bmdub11; 08-31-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 5
It really does suck...

I got lazy and used the in dash nav instead of Waze and tying to figure out which road to stay on with several exit ramps almost made me crash into a divider. It warns you to "prepare" to turn (not telling you the street) a mile away and then leaves you hanging about where the turn is. The system is downright dangerous and has no intuitiveness at all. Coming into Manhattan from NJ it thinks it is faster to take Broadway through times square from the Holland tunnel instead of the Harlem River Drive with no traffic? Its affection for Park Avenue tries to make me go several avenues out of the way. Insult to injury is when you ask if there is anything they can do they try to charge you 500 for an update. Really? Really?