Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw645ci
Cold air blowing out the heater when on idle!

Okay my car is blowing cold air at idle and heats when push the gaz..level of coolant seems good but i cant figure out how to read it with that floating thing..need help cause its cold outside!!
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 650i Coupe
The floating thing is the gauge. The expansion tank has a little diagram showing low and max coolant levels.
Not sure about the cold air. Sounds like your not circulating coolant throught the heater core at idle. Water pump going out?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Are you sure you are not mistaking the center vent settings, which are "fresh air vents"?

In Idrive you can adjust the temperature of the center vents two vents from warm to cold in relation to all the other vents. The design is that fresh cool air blows on your face while the lower vents will push out hot air. So I am not sure you would ever feel hot air out of the top vents...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM

No i kno the idrive thing with the fresh air..but if i put the heater to blow from the vents it will blow cold air at idle and when i drive it will become hot air ..with the hot air on the idrive instead of the fresh..i dont. Get the diagram of reading the gage of the coolant level..
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i Coupe
Mark is right. I learned something new about my car. It's cool here now and I cranked up the heat to max this morning. The center vents blew cool air and the heat came up from the footwell. A little odd but not uncomfortable.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Always something new!!!

The changing of the temp is very strange in my mind, your coolant wouldn't cool down at idle significantly, certainly not in the time that you come to a stop. So going cold at idle then back to hot when you are driving is some odd behavior, not sure I understand how that could be.

Question, if you put the car in Auto mode with the temp on all the way hot, does the temp change from idle to throttle on the vents by your feet.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Are you seeing swings in oil temp when driving vs idle? Normally you get more engine heat/temp when at idle so you are experiencing a very abnormal condition.

The only thing I can think of is an issue with the secondary coolant pump that pumps hot coolant to the interior heater radiator. You might have low pressure in the heater coolant sub-system until the main water pump kicks in at higher RPMs.

Might also be something to do with the alternator or battery.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 12-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Nothing anormal with the oil temp or anything else..but this summer an indy scanned the car and told me something about the auxilary water pump..
Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Porsche
If you've ruled out the vent settings, it's absolutely essential that you have the cooling system checked out ASAP. We had an E46 3 series that was periodically putting out only cold air (this was a year ago) according to my teenage kids. I was busy and ignored it, and soon thereafter the engine overheated to bad effect (we now have an E91 3 series as an extra car!).

You need to be absolutely sure the coolant level is OK. You could have a leaking coolant expansion tank or hose. You could also have a failing water pump. Either way, you don't want to mess around.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo645 View Post
Nothing anormal with the oil temp or anything else..but this summer an indy scanned the car and told me something about the auxilary water pump..
If the indy said there is a code being thrown for the auxiliary water pump then my guess in post #7 is probably correct. This pump feeds hot coolant to a rad just behind the dash and that is your source for interior heat.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater