Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 99 528i
Weird Idle at first start

Hey guys im new to the Bimmer world i have always bought Japanese cars but decided to give Germany a try.
Its a 99 528i 165K everything is beautiful rides smooth no problems, recently it developed an idle issue when i first start the car but after it heats up stays at normal idle.
Check the Idle control Valve and looks good also cleaned it with carb cleaner, checked the DISA valve and its good.
Here is a video of what it does, maybe somebody can guide me to the right direction.
_a_
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 63 impala . 528i

Mine was somewhat doing the same thing. The air tube after the MAF was ripped sucking in air. I replaced it and clean the MAF while i was at it and problem went away.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker13 View Post
Mine was somewhat doing the same thing. The air tube after the MAF was ripped sucking in air. I replaced it and clean the MAF while i was at it and problem went away.

Yeah all the tubes are fine no rips or cracks i took everything apart and checked everything how ever i did not spray clean the MAF and i thought about it but didnt, maybe ill do that later when get home.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 PM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon

Most likely your vanos seals are worn out. Mine does the same thing.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Classic symptem of Vanos Seals,,,idles fdunny when first cranked in cold weather and then runs and idles fine once warmed up...If you do the job,,make sure you use only Beisan System Seals.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:04 PM

I have heard of this Vanos thing, what is it? and where is it located?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
It is Bmw's variable cam timing. It is the bulge on the front of the valve cover
Old 12-20-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp.the.dimp View Post
It is Bmw's variable cam timing. It is the bulge on the front of the valve cover
Is it a DIY Job or is it too much? For one to tackle?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:58 PM

It is a DIY thing,,and if you have never wrenched auto's--I would advise you not to try it--If you can turn a wrench and follow insturctions--then is easy--go to ----Besian Systems website and click on procedures--read and read again 4 or 5 times until you have the procedure down,,then jump in and do the work--your engine will feel like new afterwards---
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
It is a DIY thing,,and if you have never wrenched auto's--I would advise you not to try it--If you can turn a wrench and follow insturctions--then is easy--go to ----Besian Systems website and click on procedures--read and read again 4 or 5 times until you have the procedure down,,then jump in and do the work--your engine will feel like new afterwards---
Awesome, yeah I have no problem getting my hands greasy I like to work in all my cars unless is something real deep like a head gasket job then I'm out
I really appreciate the help I will look into that, in the mean time is this something serious with the vanos or is it minor can I still keep driving around ?
Old 12-21-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528i M52TU
I drove mine for a several years, but now that I see the improvement having repaired the vanos, I regret not doing it sooner. In addition to Beisan, do a search on this forum for several good threads on the subject.

Last edited by KKlop; 12-21-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: '98 528
I would suspect more of an idle control valve issue or vac leak.

The VANOS comes into play during acceleration when the cam(s) are shifted for power or cruise. Im pretty sure at idle, VANOS and cams are in the fully retarded position (not in play). But, the VANOS seals are an all around good thing to do, however.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:13 AM

I'm going to try one more thing before going for the vanos seals, I'm going to replace the crankshaft position sensor first see if it makes any difference.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Couple of Questions--if the weather is warm and the engine has set and is cold--do you have the idle problem----If the weather is cold and the engine se and is cold , do you have the idle problem. If the answer is no on the first question--then I would say that it's Vanos---since I already know the answer on second question--that reafirms my thoughts--if your not getting a code showing cam sensor issues--I'd say your throwing money at the problem
There could be another answer--Is the stat from BEM and another--maybe the temp sensor at the rear of the engine head isn't giving a proper reading when it's cold out--go to the Besian Systems website and look into unhooking your vanos when it's really cold out --if you unhook it when first cranking and the problem goes away--that proves the problem with the Vanos seals.

Last edited by poolman; 12-21-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 PM

you right, let me go over to my buddys house and have him hook up his ODB and see what he comes up with.
Stay tune.

Ok just cale back and i got 4 codes which one of them I knew about.
P0134
P0154
P0130

Last edited by 528iBMW99; 12-21-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Couple of Questions--if the weather is warm and the engine has set and is cold--do you have the idle problem----If the weather is cold and the engine se and is cold , do you have the idle problem. If the answer is no on the first question--then I would say that it's Vanos---since I already know the answer on second question--that reafirms my thoughts--if your not getting a code showing cam sensor issues--I'd say your throwing money at the problem
There could be another answer--Is the stat from BEM and another--maybe the temp sensor at the rear of the engine head isn't giving a proper reading when it's cold out--go to the Besian Systems website and look into unhooking your vanos when it's really cold out --if you unhook it when first cranking and the problem goes away--that proves the problem with the Vanos seals.
Ok today is nice out here I would say somewhere in the 55s and started the car and the idle issue came on with in a minute of having the engine running and went away with in like 3 minutes, othe days when it's like 20 outside it will take longs for the idle to fix it self it will take somewhere around 10 to 15 minutes before the idle becomes normal.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:49 PM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon

Vanos on startup has a role in this play. The role would be to advance timing on exhaust to heat up precats for emission purposes. But because its leaking by the stiff seals you are getting this fluctuation.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 PM

While you have codes--that's something not in your first post---since you know the codes then you can look them up to what the meaning of each is---if they anything to do with 02 sensors other than heater circut not working--I would venture to say that you have a miss fire in one or two cylinders and probably a few vacuum leaks to investagate
Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM

ok another head scratcher for yalls.

So i know i need to change the Vanos seals right, well this AM i turn the car on to take wife to bus stop since its cold outside 1degree to be exact, i turn on car and went back into house then i came back out 5 minutes later and car was off, turn the car back on and the temperature gauge went all the way up to red i shut the car off and open the hood and touch the hoses and they were cool not even hot so i turn on the car again and temperature gauge set at normal position.
Drove car fine went to drop wife off and came home and it was fine.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
get it chercked out Temp on RED is Trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 528iBMW99 View Post

So i know i need to change the Vanos seals right, well this AM i turn the car on to take wife to bus stop since its cold outside 1degree to be exact, i turn on car and went back into house then i came back out 5 minutes later and car was off, turn the car back on and the temperature gauge went all the way up to red i shut the car off and open the hood and touch the hoses and they were cool not even hot so i turn on the car again and temperature gauge set at normal position.
last thing you want to do is overheat car.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Quote:

Until I replaced my vanos seals, this would also happen to me. Not sure what causes the guage to do that but it's definitely not overheating.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
Until I replaced my vanos seals, this would also happen to me. Not sure what causes the guage to do that but it's definitely not overheating.
ok sounds good to me, thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
I gotta have more cowbell

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Classic symptem of Vanos Seals,,,idles fdunny when first cranked in cold weather and then runs and idles fine once warmed up...If you do the job,,make sure you use only Beisan System Seals.
Curious - By "classic" do you mean it shows this exact same symptom - very periodic, momentary reduction in idle? If the vanos is disconnected as a test, does the reduction go away?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
you right, let me go over to my buddys house and have him hook up his ODB and see what he comes up with.
Stay tune.

Ok just cale back and i got 4 codes which one of them I knew about.
P0134
P0154
P0130
There is no discussion in this thread about your fault codes. You need to research these codes (Google is a good place to start), establish what they mean and repair the problems. The car is trying to tell you what is wrong and you are ignoring it. BTW you say there are 4 codes but you only list 3.

Every E39 I6 with more than 30K miles needs the Vanos seals replaced. Replacing these seals is the best "bang for your buck" repair that you can make but it will probably not fix your problem.

No offense, but you need to do the research work to find out what is wrong with your car. I've already Googled your codes and done some reading but refuse to spoon feed you the results.

Do the work, set yourself a plan of diagnostic action for each code, establish what is wrong and fix your car. If you can't do this, take the car to a expert BMW Indy. They'll figure it out.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 AM

Ok so i have a question, im in the process of ordering the Vanos seals and also the valve cover gasket as well.
Does the valve cover gasket covers the vanos part or do i need to buy a vonos gasket as well?