Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Arrow OEM Trailer Hitch MSRP only $1,050.00 INSTALLED!

Who's in?

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Ads by Google
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 X3 35i
Is this for real? How would one go about getting this deal?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid2 View Post
Is this for real? How would one go about getting this deal?
Yes, 100% for real.

However, it really applies only to 2012 X3 buyers who have not yet taken delivery.

The "Port Install Program" has been expanded recently to include X3 trailer hitches (like I've posted about on the X5)...

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
Yes, 100% for real.

However, it really applies only to 2012 X3 buyers who have not yet taken delivery.

The "Port Install Program" has been expanded recently to include X3 trailer hitches (like I've posted about on the X5)...
How does this work?

A little help for those of us who have already ordered and are waiting on production would be much appreciated. Is this something that most salesmen would understand how to accomplish?

Does the car have to be in 111 or can it be 112 status - or later, before we are out of luck?

Last edited by bren; 12-22-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Yes, 100% for real.

Any reason why you would not make this deal available to those of us who already have taken delivery of our X3's? I'm confused why you put up this post?
Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
My dealership only charged me $500 (which I thought was NOT cheap) and did not remove the bumper (or so they said) .
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 AM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid2 View Post
Any reason why you would not make this deal available to those of us who already have taken delivery of our X3's? I'm confused why you put up this post?
Installation being done at "the port" essentially means it's done by the factory, can't exactly take your car back there. But I agree, without a little more detail, this is kind of a tease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
My dealership only charged me $500 (which I thought was NOT cheap) and did not remove the bumper (or so they said) .
The parts alone cost more than that, not sure how you pulled that off.

Last edited by bren; 12-23-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1

"The parts alone cost more than that, not sure how you pulled that off."
Last edited by bren; Today at 07:11 AM.

That was only for installation.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:40 PM
///Mpty pockets

Inquired about this today at my dealer. I watched him go through the computer, and there were no port options listed anywhere for any of the "X" trucks.

Is it possible that this is west coast only? Or is it simply undocumented and requires actual human intervention at the VPC?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Inquired about this today at my dealer. I watched him go through the computer, and there were no port options listed anywhere for any of the "X" trucks.

Is it possible that this is west coast only? Or is it simply undocumented and requires actual human intervention at the VPC?
possible.

I'm trying to remember how they used to process US-built cars for the east coast dealers. They are basically shipped directly from the factory I believe, so they do not go through a traditional VPC workshop where these items could be installed.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 12-23-2011, 03:08 PM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
possible.

I'm trying to remember how they used to process US-built cars for the east coast dealers. They are basically shipped directly from the factory I believe, so they do not go through a traditional VPC workshop where these items could be installed.
It sounds like they have some sort of facility at Spartanburg, as goofy as that seems.

Hopefully the manager will actually make the call down there and I'll know something next week - we'll see.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
It sounds like they have some sort of facility at Spartanburg, as goofy as that seems.

Hopefully the manager will actually make the call down there and I'll know something next week - we'll see.
yes but I don't think it is a full VPC since they are not processing any cars. It is attached to the factory and is more of a shipping "hub" to get the cars onto trucks. It is not the same VPC where cars coming from Europe get offloaded off the boat.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
yes but I don't think it is a full VPC since they are not processing any cars. It is attached to the factory and is more of a shipping "hub" to get the cars onto trucks. It is not the same VPC where cars coming from Europe get offloaded off the boat.
That would make more sense. Maybe they can drop it at the port in Baltimore to get this taken care of there.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:28 PM
///Mpty pockets

So, um, Jon - any help? Is this configurable via the computer system, or do you have to call to arrange?

I'm just curious if this works differently for the CA VDC vs. east coast.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
How does this work?

A little help for those of us who have already ordered and are waiting on production would be much appreciated. Is this something that most salesmen would understand how to accomplish?

Does the car have to be in 111 or can it be 112 status - or later, before we are out of luck?

In order to make this happen there is a form that must either be faxed or emailed to Vehicle Distribution a couple of week before the X3 arrives at the VDC. I've done a few now, and I send it over as soon as I have a VIN so I don't forget.

The beauty is that if you are leasing, the hitch is as if it was installed on the assembly line, and therefore 100% residualizable (is that even a word?). As opposed to a "dealer-installed" hitch where only a coupla hundred can be depreciated. Saves a bunch on your lease payments to do it this way.

I would be more than surprised (shocked) if this was only a "West Coast Only" program.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 AM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
I would be more than surprised (shocked) if this was only a "West Coast Only" program.
Just got the call this a.m. that "our" port knows nothing of this and doesn't offer anything for any SAV.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Just got the call this a.m. that "our" port knows nothing of this and doesn't offer anything for any SAV.

I don't believe it... This is why I referred to the program as "little known" on my original blog post. There are some cases where new SAVs coming from South Carolina are shipped direct to some dealers. This bypasses the VDC where the work would get done, but I can't say this would apply in your case.

When I first contacted Vehicle Distribution I was told the same thing, "BMW doesn't offer anything for any SAV." That is until I dug a little deeper and pushed a little harder. Doing so save my customer (a Bimmerfest Moderator) a ton of money. Now I am getting lots of requests for this...

Anyway, in addition to the hitch, they also offer a "Roof Rail Retrofit" as well as "X Line Pro".

I have no idea what the latter is...

Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 AM
///Mpty pockets

Yeah great, rub it in. Thanks

Quote:
There are some cases where new SAVs coming from South Carolina are shipped direct to some dealers. This bypasses the VDC where the work would get done, but I can't say this would apply in your case.
This is all I can think. Although, he did say that they didn't know anything about it. I'll bug him some more.

edit: I think "x line pro" is some silver plastic "skid plate" looking stuff on the bottom of the bumpers.

Last edited by bren; 12-26-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Yeah great, rub it in. Thanks

This is all I can think. Although, he did say that they didn't know anything about it. I'll bug him some more.

edit: I think "x line pro" is some silver plastic "skid plate" looking stuff on the bottom of the bumpers.

You know, the more that I think about it, this may only be offered to Western Region dealers...

Don't beat too hard on your CA.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 F25
I am very pleased with my execuhitch that I installed myself.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by binas_daddy View Post
I am very pleased with my execuhitch that I installed myself.

I watched their video. Looks like a great solution...

Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I was going to get the execuhitch but the BMW hitch came out a few weeks before I got my X3. The execuhitch is decent but the cost was similar to the BMW hitch. Plus the execuhitch doesn't integrate with the backup camera, park distance sensors, or the stability control system like the BMW hitch. My dealer installed my hitch for $1058 plus tax.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 PM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
The execuhitch is decent but the cost was similar to the BMW hitch.
Right. I'd much rather have the factory solution.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: m3
Jon, I am in San Diego and just ordered a 35i (BMW of Vista). Can you give a bit more info about the trailer hitch? At what point would it be added? Who performs the work and is it covered by insurance? Do I contact my dealer for this? Or you? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 XDrive 35i
Trailer hitch

I have a 2011 F25 X3 and wasn't going to pay the $600 + 4 hr shop time to install a hitch. I found a Curt hitch 13107 on eBay from discount hitch for $153. (free shipping) and installed myself in about 2.5 hrs. Looks and works great!