Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
Had my engine washed today.

Yesterday my iDrive warned that my engine oil was low so I drove to the BMW dealer near my house to have it topped up.

It was done in less than 10 mins.

As I was about to get into my D I asked the Tech for information about washing the engine and whether it's safe to do so.

He said sure it OK to do so and said if I go and get a bottle of degreaser from the parts department he would be glad to wash my engine for me rightaway.

I took him up on his offer and he did a great job.
Now my D's engine is like new after 2 years of grime + grease has been washed off.

He said all I have to do is spray the degrease on the engine, leave it for a few minutes and then power wash the entire engine and it'll be as good as new!

I said what about all them electrical wiring or any computer chips in the engine bay?
He said not to worry as they are all protected since when you drive in heavy downpour the engine gets all the water splashed from underneath.

That makes sense!

Anyway the bottle of BMW Engine Cold Cleaner costs $13.80 and is good for several washes.

I asked him how much do I owe him and he said "No charge!". It's part of his job!

So if you want to wash your engine next time when you get your oil change, just buy a bottle fo degreaser and ask the Tech to please also wash the engine!

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI

Last edited by DC-IT; 12-23-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2011, 03:20 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
sounds like an execellent service center. You should share the name of the dealership so others can benefit
Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
sounds like an execellent service center. You should share the name of the dealership so others can benefit
Wash your engine? Why?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
purple power works better. and is cheaper
Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Wash your engine? Why?
I was commenting on their excellent customer service, but to answer your question- I keep my engine clean mainly so i can see if a leak develops.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptop85 View Post
purple power works better. and is cheaper
I've never tried that.
I like the Black Magic 2 in 1 Engine Shine because it is safe to use on all surfaces. Getting harder to find lately, though.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Quote:
Endras BMW in Ajax, Ontario, Canada.
I bought my D from them in Nov 2009.
I have all my service done there and will continue to go there after the warranty is over which is likely in 2~3 month's time.

So the sales and service there is excellent and the dealership is just under 10 mins. from my house.

The SA was saying that the D hasn't been selling very well in Canada.
I said it's likely 'cos BMW Canada did not offer the eco rebate of $4,500 like in the US!

Nevertheless I do see quite a few Ds on the Toronto highways.

Now all I want for X'mas is a 535d!

Merry X'mas to all fellow D drivers.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 12-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

BMW Engine wash on YouTube

on YouTube

I saw this over a year ago and was wondering if it was safe to do on the new 335d so that was why I asked the Tech at BMW.

Looks like there is no need to take all the precautions as mentioned in the video.

Cheers.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 12-24-2011, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Old diesels can run without any electricity at all. Our modern BMW Diesel has many electrical components that could be damaged if they got wet. So you really do not want to just go crazy with cleaner and water. Have not had the car long enough to really get under the hood but as a minimum you will want to protect the alternator and air intake. Avoid using very high pressure streams of water that could drive water under boots that protect electrical connections or drive into the beariings of idler pullys.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d '10
Ladies and gentlemen,

First of all - Happy Holidays and best wishes in the New Year! Now that that is out of the way and forgive me for sounding facetious - certainly not my intent - but, how can the engine bays become so filthy to the point that a pressure washer and degreaser are needed to clean them. IOW, suggest wiping down your engine bay and cover each time that you wash your car, thereby preventing or minimizing any dust/dirt/crud build up. I have done so since taking delivery of the car. In fact, the last time I had the car in for service, the BMW mechanic called me into the repair bay to ask how I've managed to keep the car in pristine condition.

Taking 5 mins to doing the above ca save the hassle of doing the pressure washer/degreaser thing. In the words of Ron Solomon "Not a sermon, just a thought."

Cheers,

-slug

P.S. Realize that some may not have the time nor the means (living in an apartment) to wash their own vehicles.
1992-1993: 1979 528i (Bought, Driven, Sold in Deutschland)
Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
Quote:
Endras BMW in Ajax, Ontario, Canada.
I bought my D from them in Nov 2009.
I have all my service done there and will continue to go there after the warranty is over which is likely in 2~3 month's time.

So the sales and service there is excellent and the dealership is just under 10 mins. from my house.

+1

Mine, too. Great dealership.
2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 12-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugdriver View Post
Ladies and gentlemen,

First of all - Happy Holidays and best wishes in the New Year! Now that that is out of the way and forgive me for sounding facetious - certainly not my intent - but, how can the engine bays become so filthy to the point that a pressure washer and degreaser are needed to clean them. IOW, suggest wiping down your engine bay and cover each time that you wash your car, thereby preventing or minimizing any dust/dirt/crud build up. I have done so since taking delivery of the car. In fact, the last time I had the car in for service, the BMW mechanic called me into the repair bay to ask how I've managed to keep the car in pristine condition.

Taking 5 mins to doing the above ca save the hassle of doing the pressure washer/degreaser thing. In the words of Ron Solomon "Not a sermon, just a thought."

Cheers,

-slug

P.S. Realize that some may not have the time nor the means (living in an apartment) to wash their own vehicles.
Great idea slugdriver.
I will certainly try that from now on.
Cheers.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI