Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 650
Question on Extended Warranty

Greetings-

Just ordered a 650. This will be my first BMW. Now the wait begins.....

Given the complexity of new cars these days, I was thinking about getting the extended warranty taking me to 6 years & 100K. My dealer threw out an ugly (although preliminary) number to purchase this. For those of you who have recently purchased, how much have you paid? Also, is it possible to shop around for the extended warranty and purchase from a different dealership than where the car was ordered? North of $4K is much more than I expected, although it has been 5 years since I purchased one.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Regards,

JMA
Ads by Google
Old 06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Plopshop

Mein Auto: '06 M3 Cpe
Sounds high

I was offered a 6/100 extension for $1,695 for the '06 M3 I picked up on Tuesday. Do a search - I remember seeing a link where you could get a decent price (or at least far less than $4k) on an extended warranty.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 AM
weRe not in kansas anymoR

Mein Auto: 6er
....if you are going to keep the car, you must take this out..im leasing so the 4 years i'll have mine will all be covered...i havent gotten any figures but i'd think between $3-4K for full coverage would be about right...prior to my e63, i had an e46 (owned) for 5 1/2 years...i didnt take the extended and at about 40K miles my tranny went...$5200 out the window and a hard lesson not to purchase new cars anymore, so now i choose to lease and get the full coverage whenever im owning the car....with these cars being so tech complex, you cant risk it, and one major problem will more than cover the expense of the extended warranty....good luck and congrats on joining the club
Old 06-09-2006, 10:49 AM
weRe not in kansas anymoR

Mein Auto: 6er
Quote:
Originally Posted by plopshop
I was offered a 6/100 extension for $1,695 for the '06 M3 I picked up on Tuesday. Do a search - I remember seeing a link where you could get a decent price (or at least far less than $4k) on an extended warranty.

....be aware that there are different types of extended warranties offered, there are ones that cover only some things, and one that covers pretty much everything that the original does...the quote above is sure to be for the partial coverage...
Old 06-09-2006, 11:03 AM

Wow! Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

I expected ~$3K for the warranty and I'm sure the price is negotiable, but the quote I got was something like $4.5K. I agree that the warranty is a must on a car with this many bells & whistles. If any of you know a particular dealer with a finance department that is willing to do deals, give me a name and number.

I do not want a 3rd party warranty because I don't want to go through any reimbursement hassles. A good price on the comprehensive BMW warranty is what I am after. If anyone knows if I can purchase the warranty from a different dealer, that would be great info, too. I assume you can, but I'm not sure if the selling dealership is given a monopoly on that part of the transaction. I'm willing to pay fair market value, but I don't want to get reamed.

Thanks guys.

JMA
Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe (soon)
You want an exclusionary EW, ie, a policy that covers evrything that is NOT specifically excluded. Most policies, and all CPO EW's that I'm aware of, are inclusionary, ie, only listed items are covered. Auto Warranty Brokers offers such a policy. Do a search under AWB to check out my experience with an AWB policy on my Audi.

Spyder
Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA
Greetings-

Just ordered a 650. This will be my first BMW. Now the wait begins.....

Given the complexity of new cars these days, I was thinking about getting the extended warranty taking me to 6 years & 100K. My dealer threw out an ugly (although preliminary) number to purchase this. For those of you who have recently purchased, how much have you paid? Also, is it possible to shop around for the extended warranty and purchase from a different dealership than where the car was ordered? North of $4K is much more than I expected, although it has been 5 years since I purchased one.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Regards,

JMA
I go through the miles on a car very quickly (even if it is not my everyday car), so I purchased an extended warranty covering me for 100k miles. I shopped around for the best that I could find. Be careful of "ghost companies" that take your money and then disappear!
I paid $2,800 for a premium warranty in my 650. I bought one for my Audi too and fortunately it has been very good so far. Try to buy it right away because the rates increase very quickly with use and mileage.
Both Audi and BMW offered them, but for a much higher sum (for the same coverage)! Plus the other companies give you payment options in case you need it.
I don't have the details of the coverage that I bought, but I can give it to you if you need it.
Cheers.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:35 PM
By the beach

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650 Convertible
Two different kinds..

When your looking for the extended warrenty just remember there are two different kinds... not one that covers everything... so make sure you ask... When I got my car I had them throw both in with the price so it is all covered... I was also told you can buy an extended warrenty anytime up to the day your 4 year 60k mile warrenty goes.. so you might want to take your time.. see if you can get more coverage.. or a better price down the road... you sure don't need it today... and who knows in 4 years if you will want the new BMW.. or another car... 4 years lots can change.. and your covered now...

Hope it helps..

Ordered 2/28/06 ..... Just waiting now

The wait is over.. and well worth it ... Delivered 5/4/06... still driving....
Old 06-09-2006, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci Mineral Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA
I was thinking about getting the extended warranty taking me to 6 years & 100K.JMA

Welcome to the club!

I intend to keep mine for many years to come and will buy an xtended warranty but not yet. Why are you looking to buy now? I understand that as long as the vehicle is under warranty an extended W can be purchased. Who know what comes up b/w now and 3 1/2 years.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
SVSCME

Mein Auto: 650 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR
Welcome to the club!

I intend to keep mine for many years to come and will buy an xtended warranty but not yet. Why are you looking to buy now? I understand that as long as the vehicle is under warranty an extended W can be purchased. Who know what comes up b/w now and 3 1/2 years.
Or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Personally, I always hit the mileage b/4 the time.
2006 650i Coupe, Silver Gray, Black Interior, Dark Birch Trim , Sports Package, Steptronic, Cold Weather, L7 Premium Sound. Hardwired Passport 8500, E/D 1/11/06, Munich drop-off 1/17/06, re-delivery:3/7/06, rear window tint, M-5 replica wheels, Stop Tech pads, Cryo rotors, caliper covers, PS2's
2003 330i (wifes) sold 10/27/06 replaced with 530i (7/21/06 ED) 9/28/06 re-delivery
2001 540i (rear ended & totaled 8/17/05)
1986 535 e28 (beater, but working on restoration)
Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR
Welcome to the club!

Agreed. My Audi EW could be purchased up to one month, or 1k mi, from the factory warranty expiration. After that, I'd be out of luck. I bought a few months early cuz AWB was offering a discount.

Spyder
Old 06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Wait!
There is no need to buy an extended warranty now. First, you may not have the car in a couple of years. Second, you can shop around at your leisure. Third, BMW will allow you to purchase the warranty so long as you do so before expiry. So, what's the hurry?

(On my Merc you had to buy the EW within a year. I don't know if that's still the case.)

Another word to the wise: Only buy a warranty underwritten by the factory. All the rest are a pain in the aspirin to enforce, often sold by fly-by-nights, and subject to exclusions which, while disclosed, still allow for a lot of money to be spent by the car owner.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:21 AM

Great point on wanting to wait! If I total the car in the first year, I won't have a sunk cost to regret......

Even if the warranty was a bit more expensive as miles / years piled up on the car, the extra cost is almost like and insurance premium against the aforementioned sunk cost. I'll ponder this over the next few weeks while I wait.

These boards are great and the advice is soooo helpful. I never would have considered possibly waiting, but stuff does happen.

Thanks for the input so far.

JMA
Old 06-10-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Wait!
There is no need to buy an extended warranty now. First, you may not have the car in a couple of years. Second, you can shop around at your leisure. Third, BMW will allow you to purchase the warranty so long as you do so before expiry. So, what's the hurry?

(On my Merc you had to buy the EW within a year. I don't know if that's still the case.)

Another word to the wise: Only buy a warranty underwritten by the factory. All the rest are a pain in the aspirin to enforce, often sold by fly-by-nights, and subject to exclusions which, while disclosed, still allow for a lot of money to be spent by the car owner.
A few comments, Mal...

1. Agreed that it is not wise to buy the warranty until you are close to the factory expiration.

2. Disagree that you should only buy warranty underwritten by the factory. If it's an inclusionary policy--almost all are--you still may end up getting screwed. Also, many so-called factory EW's are, in fact, underwritten by third parties. You need to check that carefully.

3. IMO, the most important consideration is that the EW be underwritten by an strong established ins company, and that the policy be exclusionary. I've had great experience with AWB's Platinum exclusionary policy for my Audi. Price for an 84 mo, 100k mi, $50 deductible, Plat policy on a new 650 is $3055 (got the quote this morning). The policy is underwritten by Mercury Ins, but can not be directly sold to Calif residents. Works best if you have an out-of-state addy as I do.

Hope this helps....

Spyder
Old 06-15-2006, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: Honda S2000, BMW 650i
All good points above, I paid $2,000 for BMW to extend my Service and Warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles. I figured I would make that up just in oil changes, so I didn't worry about the details.

Enjoy your new car when it arrives.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidK
All good points above, I paid $2,000 for BMW to extend my Service and Warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles. I figured I would make that up just in oil changes, so I didn't worry about the details.

Enjoy your new car when it arrives.
$2,000 for maintenance and warranty? Wow, heck of a deal.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 650i rag
KidK,
Can you tell us which dealer you purchase the warranties from?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Xdrive
BMW Warranty

Can you tell us what dealer you purchased the warranty and service for 2K?? I'm picking up my 2009 335i xDrive with 41,000 miles and would like to buy extra warranty and my local BMW dealer quoted me 4K for 6yrs/100k. I would like to know where you got you warranty and possibly a number for the dealer.. Thanks.

Last edited by Grexha; 01-04-2012 at 06:54 AM.