Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: JCW Mini
New to Bimmerfest, advice on i135 purchase

New to the forum. Considering an i135 with m pkg and manual transmission. Would have gotten a 1 M but not willing to pay massive premium. Unable to find a manual to test but really enjoyed the auto on the test drive. Had an 1991 M3 many years back and since several S4s and most recently have an 09 MC JCW which is a blast to drive but now crave something new, small and safer. What is the manual trans like on the 135? Only reason I even thought of this car was very impressed with the 128 m sport pkg on test drive for my daughter with me sitting in the back. Kind of reminded me of my old M3.
Any advice on this possible purchase would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
You should experience no regrets with the 135i. Mine is a CPO '08 convertible automatic with Sport Package and paddles. The car is an absolute blast...almost as much fun to drive as was my M6; in certain respects even more enjoyable than the M. I really feel connected to the car when I'm behind the wheel of the 135i...very responsive steering and no lack of power. I'm also a lover of the S4; mine was an '05 that I ultimately sold when I got the M6. In my opinion, the 135i out performs the S4 in spades.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 12-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Although my 1er is a 128i, I ordered the MT after test driving a similar car with Steptronic. Like other new BMWs I've ordered after test driving auto trans demos, I haven' been disappointed by either tranny or clutch.

Tom
Old 12-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
If you enjoy driving sticks, then the manual in the one series is not going to disappoint you. Nowhere near as exacerbating and cantankerous as some of the recent offerings from BMW.

The gateways are well defined and hence easy to navigate through, with the throws relatively short.

Clutch is moderately heavy, although many have opted to remove the clutch delay valve for what they believe is better synchronicity and feel between the clutch and tranny.

The 135 is like an E30 on steroids.

Off the truck it has several well noted suspension deficiencies if you plan to track it at all, but for a daily driver or weekend canyon carver it doesn't reek in either role.

It's a vehicle that is very easy to become enamored with even, if I may dare say so, in the looks department.

Many aren't of that opinion, but that's fine. Keeps the numbers you see on the street down.

So while you might dismiss it for its looks, no such excuse can be offered for the manual transmission.

It's a very impressive kit.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the input!

I'm definitely thinking of getting a manual transmission 135 M sport with nav etc. Probably white with blk interior. My daughter is getting the 128 but otherwise the same with white/red interior. While not the most expensive cars that BMW makes, I wonder if the dealership would make a decent deal on 2 cars. What should I expect off of MSRP (Is this ok to ask on this forum or do I need to have someone email me this?) Sorry if not permitted.
Thanks again for all the advice and any further...
Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPC1 View Post
I'm definitely thinking of getting a manual transmission 135 M sport with nav etc. Probably white with blk interior. My daughter is getting the 128 but otherwise the same with white/red interior. While not the most expensive cars that BMW makes, I wonder if the dealership would make a decent deal on 2 cars. What should I expect off of MSRP (Is this ok to ask on this forum or do I need to have someone email me this?) Sorry if not permitted.
Have no info on the $$s. Congrats on the daughter.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPC1 View Post
Other than to do your homework on the Internet, I would urge you to consider those that are now coming off lease. BMW's CPO program, in my opinion, is an excellent choice for anyone wanting to purchase one of their cars...cars have low mileage, come with extended warranty, and have taken that HUGE depreciation hit. The best part is that the cars in this program can all be accessed via the BMW website...how I found mine.

Good luck!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus

Last edited by Leslierc; 12-27-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i, 3 Pedals
My dad has the 135 with a manual trans and it is phenomenal. Loads of torque everywhere. You will not be disappointed
Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
If you can wait a few months how about considering a Euorpean delivery. Then you can order each car exactly the way you want.

You and your Daugter can take a European vacation together. What fun being able to drive your new car 100 mph on the Autobahn.

A Copy & Paste from the 128i online manual about the break-in period.

"Up to 1,200miles/2,000 km
Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do
not exceed an engine speed of 4,500 rpm or a
road speed of 100 mph/160 km/h.
Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the
transmission's kickdown mode."

Link to European Delivery website.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx

Take 7% off the European price to get European invoice price. Add $500 to $750 over Euorpean invoice for dealer profit and $850 for delivery.

Then add in the options (93% of US price) you select.

If interested check out the European Delivery Forum on this site.

Last edited by Norm37; 12-27-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Off the truck it has several well noted suspension deficiencies if you plan to track it at all, but for a daily driver or weekend canyon carver it doesn't reek in either role.
I will note this was true of the 08's and 09's. Maybe the 10's as well. I know that I drove my friend's '09 a few times and then was actually shocked when I drove my '12. Most of the on-street suspension deficiencies have been fixed by a suspension tune which has made a HUGE difference. While I wouldn't consider it close to track-ready, the newer suspension is superb as a daily or weekend driver.

The rest of your comments I would concur with though; the 135i is an excellent car.

For the record, I got my Euro Delivery and Performance Center Delivery both. As a driver I enjoyed the PCD more but I deliberately took my time on the drive home (full thread posted in the PCD forum). Still, the ED was epic and I definitely plan to do it again... and ended up paying approximately 89% of US MSRP for my car.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: '10 AW 6mt 135i 'vert
I'm about 3 weeks into owning a '10 6 speed convertible, CPO. The shifting is excellent, clutch slightly heavy but only compared to a economy level car wtih stick. Loving the car and glad I held out until I found the 6mt that I wanted. I didn't have the patience to order and wait so scoured BMW CPO's and autotrader and saved quite a bit of $'s over new getting every feature + for less. Good luck with the search!

Mark
Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 PM

Euro delivery sounds great! One other ? 2013 model

Thanks for all the comments. I may go to France this June so the Euro delivery sounds really appealing. Would that be through the dealer? This is helpful as I am buying my daughter or helping her purchase a 128 m sport so I'll need to wait a bit prior to pulling trigger for myself. What do you all think of what is to come with the 2013 model and is it worth waiting for? Still want the 135 m sport with MT.
Great forum btw, much more friendly than when I used to go on audiworld.com while owning my S4s.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Be sure and use someone who knows the European delivery process. A site sponsor would be a good choice.

Also you can ask in the European Forum for recommendations for CAs (Courtesy advisor) in the Dallas area.

You can order from any dealer in the US and do all the paper work by e-mail and overnight mail.

You would pick up your car at the dealers place of business you purchased from.

Or you could do the Performance Center Delivery. That would be a 900 to 1000 mile drive home with your 135i though. But I hear it is a lot of fun from those that have done the redelivery at the Performance Center.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...CenterFAQ.aspx

Last edited by Norm37; 12-28-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
Or you could do the Performance Center Delivery. That would be a 900 to 1000 mile drive home with your 135i though. But I hear it is a lot of fun from those that have done the redelivery at the Performance Center.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...CenterFAQ.aspx
Yeah, here's my picture-heavy thread about the PCD experience; http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=584374. I will say that now that I've done it, I can't imagine a better way to buy a new car. Even without ED (which is where the savings occur), the chance to drive my car on the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway the day after doing a PCD was an experience I will never forget, but probably re-live

And to OP; if you're going to France anyway then pull the trigger. I did my ED because I started planning a trip to Germany to visit my girlfriend's family. It then occurred to me that rather than rent a car, I would rather get a new BMW and drive it in Germany for a couple of weeks. Turned out absolutely awesome (despite some hiccups) and I would heartily recommend it. I would only caution that if you're going to Paris, find a small town outside Paris, park the car and get public transport in. Traffic in Paris itself is rivaled only by Italy... but that's another thread entirely
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: '09 135i & '11 328xi SWgn
I have an '09 135 coupe with M Sport and 6 Speed Manual. I love the transmission, and coupled with the N54 motor, it is tremendous fun to drive. Endless, smooth power on tap at almost any rpm. I'm averaging 26.4 mpg over 17,000 miles. I agree with the other posters who recommend European Delivery. We did that in 2010 with my wife's 328xi sports wagon and it was a FANTASTIC experience. Best vacation we've ever taken. My only regret was not researching ED early enough to have done the same thing with my 135i.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
My 2012 135 convertible has a better ride than my '09 did. The stick on both is excellent and the low-end torque means that you don't have tobe constantly shifting, though it's so sweet I wouldn't mind.

BMW shifters are good, this is about the best I've tried. It's no Honda S2000 but still wonderful. I like it more than the one on a Boxster and the one on a Toyota MR2. I like it Bout as much as I liked a '99 Miata and Miata shifters are wonderful.
09 BMW 135i 'vert Jet Blk/Beige Lthr
07 Z4 3.0si. Jet Blk/Saddle Brwn Ext Lthr
03 Toyota Matrix XRS. Blk w/grey
04 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Red
01 BMW 325 4dr. Titanium Silver, Blk int
94 325 'vert. Blk w/ Tan lthr
90 325iX Sedan. Diamond Blk w/ Blk lthr
All manual transmission
*currently