Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 AM
The knights who say Ni!

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M Roadster
Z4M Roadster Battery Question

Time to replace the battery on my 06 M Roadster and have been reading through the various posts, especially Ron's. Cannot find anywhere local to buy a Deka, nearest location seems to be at least one state over. So, called the dealer and asked about the 2 AGM part numbers that are mentioned in the various threads:

61-21-7-553-951 shows up in his catalog as the AGM fitment for my vehicle

61-21-7-553-952 shows as the AGM fitment for an E46 coupe

He's got the 952 in stock, the 951 will take 7-10 days. As far as he can tell from his computer the specs and prices are identical, but is unsure of the fitment. From the threads it sounds like they are indeed identical and I should be able to use the 952 just fine. Just wanted to double check here before I make the somewhat long drive over to the dealer.

Thanks!

2006 MZ4 Roadster, Interlagos Blue, Light Sepang, CF Trim
CDV delete, OEM Strut Bar, Homelink, smartTop Controller

Advertisement
Old 12-27-2011, 02:38 PM
The knights who say Ni!

Took out the stock battery today. It was marked as "951", so I guess the parts guy I originally spoke with was incorrect that this code was an AGM, since clearly BMW was not shipping those back in 2006. Showed up at the dealer and the 952 was a perfect physical match, although no marking on the outside indicated AGM or otherwise. Retail was $239 plus club discount, so approx $200 out the door. Once we verified the match, parts guy went back to computer to look for more info in the system, but did not find much. Only thing interesting was the one I bought was almost last one on East Coast, non available in Germany. Got home and installed in 15 mins or so, car started up, everything seems okay. Radio and bluetooth settings were preserved. Will have to reinitialize the window auto up/down mechanism tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ View Post
Took out the stock battery today. It was marked as "951", so I guess the parts guy I originally spoke with was incorrect that this code was an AGM, since clearly BMW was not shipping those back in 2006. Showed up at the dealer and the 952 was a perfect physical match, although no marking on the outside indicated AGM or otherwise. Retail was $239 plus club discount, so approx $200 out the door. Once we verified the match, parts guy went back to computer to look for more info in the system, but did not find much. Only thing interesting was the one I bought was almost last one on East Coast, non available in Germany. Got home and installed in 15 mins or so, car started up, everything seems okay. Radio and bluetooth settings were preserved. Will have to reinitialize the window auto up/down mechanism tomorrow.
951 comes with the Z4M. 952 comes after that shows the 951 is gone.
It's the same with other items on the car.

952:
61 21 7 553 952 retail $212.99 $170.90 20% from North Haven.

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsR...iagram=61_1113

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=agm

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 12-28-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Always interesting to see what a dealer says is "retail" for a part. It seems it is almost never the actual MSRP but actually an inflated price(in this case 10% OVER MSRP). Pretty sad as the unsuspecting customer pays whatever they tell them.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 AM
The knights who say Ni!

I actually use the same dealer and parts dept. as Ron and I was side-by-side with the parts guy for 15 minutes reviewing the various parts on his screen. So, I saw the manuf invoice and the retail prices as we scrolled through the different battery part #'s. Yes, I could have gone with an Interstate lead acid from the local independent from whom I have bought all my previous batteries, but this time I was willing to spend the extra $ to go the factory AGM route. He had given me the pricing before I drove to the dealer and his catalog confirmed it, the battery is working fine, and bottom line I am satisfied.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
When you swapped the battery, I take it you did not use a trickle charger to keep the system running? I did not either and the only noticable loss was like your's was the window function.

If either of us had used the trickle charger would that have prevented that? Anyone?

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
When you swapped the battery, I take it you did not use a trickle charger to keep the system running? I did not either and the only noticable loss was like your's was the window function.

If either of us had used the trickle charger would that have prevented that? Anyone?

Regards
I've successfully used a Computer Memory Saver - http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Computer-M.../dp/B000GKD5Q0
Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

That looks like it plugs up to a regular 9 volt square battery!, and that did the trick. I will slip down to radio shack and see if they have one locally.

Thanks!

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post

Regards
All I lost was the auto window function ............. took 30 seconds to re-set ............ not worth the trouble to keep charged IMO, YMMV.

John
Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
All I lost was the auto window function ............. took 30 seconds to re-set ............ not worth the trouble to keep charged IMO, YMMV.

John
Agreed...plus, not worth the risk of an exploding 9V battery (once you have it hooked up in parallel with the car's 12V battery).
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
Agreed...plus, not worth the risk of an exploding 9V battery (once you have it hooked up in parallel with the car's 12V battery).
Old 12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

I found several options, one includes this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...equestid=35735

Not has cheap as the little 9 volt battery thing but this certainly looks like it would do the trick.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
Do you have an actual example of a Computer Memory Saver 9 volt battery exploding? I did a google search and couldn't find one. After all, a simple diode will prevent the main battery from back charging into the 9 volt battery.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I actually use the same dealer and parts dept. as Ron and I was side-by-side with the parts guy for 15 minutes reviewing the various parts on his screen. So, I saw the manuf invoice and the retail prices as we scrolled through the different battery part #'s. Yes, I could have gone with an Interstate lead acid from the local independent from whom I have bought all my previous batteries, but this time I was willing to spend the extra $ to go the factory AGM route. He had given me the pricing before I drove to the dealer and his catalog confirmed it, the battery is working fine, and bottom line I am satisfied.
So are you saying the price shown at the dealer was $239? What was invoice? I am sure the prices are programmed in so you wouldn't know the price shown is actually ABOVE BMW's MSRP. Both Tischer and North Haven show the price like this:

61217553952 $212.99(MSRP) $170.39(Selling Price)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
The knights who say Ni!

Yes, I saw $239 as retail price on his screen as we were looking up battery part #'s. Invoice showed somewhere between $170-180, I can't remember precisely. I don't know what application we were looking at, but we were drilling down from something that looked like the ETK. I guess I am missing something fundamental here, how do you know the North Haven pricing? AFAIK their website does not contain any online parts catalog, but maybe we are talking about different dealers: http://www.bmwofnorthhaven.com/.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, I saw $239 as retail price on his screen as we were looking up battery part #'s. Invoice showed somewhere between $170-180, I can't remember precisely. I don't know what application we were looking at, but we were drilling down from something that looked like the ETK. I guess I am missing something fundamental here, how do you know the North Haven pricing? AFAIK their website does not contain any online parts catalog, but maybe we are talking about different dealers: http://www.bmwofnorthhaven.com/.
Try this: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214760

This is North Haven's online site. Put the part number of your battery in and it will show what I listed above- $212.99 MSRP.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM
The knights who say Ni!

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I honestly had no idea that they were running an online parts supply operation. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I honestly had no idea that they were running an online parts supply operation. I'll keep it in mind for next time.
Penske shows USA correct suggested retail prices. Real OEM doesn't.
http://www.penskeparts.com/index.aspx

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post

John

How do you reset the auto window function?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 AM
19,585 Miles

Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKraut View Post
It's in the Z4FAQ.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKraut View Post
I added the battery which shows what you use.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 01-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.