Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Exclamation Trunk opening spontaneously

A few days after I got my X3 (2.8i 2011 with comfort access and electronic trunk) my wife asked me if I had left the trunk open, since, when she got to the car - which was parked in front of the house - it had the trunk wide open (I parked it there about an hour before).

Event though I knew I had not left it open, I didn't think much of it, and assumed that maybe I pressed the wrong button while closing it. After all, I only had it for a day or 2 so was still getting familiar with it.

Well, just the other day (about 2000 kms into it's life now), the trunk opened spontaneously WHILE driving (about 25mph). Now, I'm pretty sure this is not something that should be able to happen, regardless of which buttons you may or may not accidentally press - so there is definitely something wrong here.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue - I could not find any mention of this on the forum yet.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Never seen or heard of this one before.

The tailgate should only open when the vehicle is stationary.

Bring it it to be fixed ASAP.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
..or was it user error

Well, more details emerge, and there is a possiblity it could have been "user error" :-)

I asked the wife - who was the one it happened to - and she said, "she was messing with her bag, which had the keys in it", so maybe she had pressed the button while doing so. And as for the "..while driving" part, it could be that she noticed it while driving, but it had actually openened while stopped at a light. I wanted to test it and it DOES seem you can open it when coming to a stop. And you might not notice till you hear the driving noise from the outside.

sooo...since it's not something easy to troubleshoot by BMW, I'll leave it at this and see if another clearer incident will happen, especially if there is a possibility it was just user error.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
What happens when you have it open then drive off, wouldn't the alert and chime come up?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: waiting for my new x3
In my haste with last minute holiday shopping I drove away from the mall with my hatch open on my 2012 X3. The car immediately beeped and alerted me that the door was open.

Last edited by tmk; 12-30-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM

My wife just notified me that this happened 2 days in a row. 2011 X3 w/comfort access, had it for 6 months.

Day1
After she opens trunk then closes it w/the closing button on the trunk, she went inside the car and car automatically locked and the trunk automatically opens by itself 3/4 of the way.
She starts the car (unknown that the trunk is open) the headlights keep flashing and the car told her the trunk door is open.
She left the engine running, opens the door, press the close trunk button.

Day2
After she opens trunk then closes it w/the closing button on the trunk, she went inside the car and car automatically locked and the trunk automatically opens by itself 3/4 of the way.
She noticed it this time (did not start the engine), left key fob in passenger seat, went to the back to close the trunk (via the trunk button), comes back into the car. Car automatically locked and the trunk automatically again opens by itself 3/4 of the way.

Will investigate this weekend and try the other key fob.

Last edited by fb88; 03-23-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2011
Was any other door open when she was closing the trunk?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:56 PM

She said no.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2011
Weird. I am not near the car right now, and I cannot verify it, but she could have locked the car while the driver's door was still open. Then she shuts the door, the car tries to engage the central lock, and opens the trunk, because it detects the key inside. Anyway it all looks like she shuts the door of the locked car while the key is inside. If that's not the case, I would contact the dealer.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM

Asked her to duplicate it and the car is not cooperating. She pressed the close trunk button not the trunk+lock button.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Hey guys, this happened to me this weekend.

I have one of the floor mats in the back and I think it had shifted.

We closed the back hatch and were serveral feet away when it opened itself back up. I shifted the mat to make sure it was in place and reclosed the hatch and it didn't open back up.

I am wondering if you the problems you guys are having is that you had been in the back and it just didn't latch because something was just barely in the way.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 AM

Mein Auto: E30 M3, 2012 X3
Add ours to the list!

We have a 2012 X3 28i with the convenience option that we picked up via the Performance Center Delivery program in February. A couple of times now my wife has come back in before she left for work and asked if I had opened the tailgate for any reason and not closed it. I had not either time. Then last week it was parked in the garage and the tailgate opened during the night and hit the overhead door. Unfortunately it hit the hinge of the garage door and scratched the paint on the edge of the door bit. Each time we just figured that one of us had hit the button of the "key" accidently.

Then today I was driving it and the tailgate opened as I accelerated away from a traffic light. I noticed the wind/road noise and slowed down until I could get off the road and away from the heavy traffic to close it again. I do not recall hearing or seeing any warnings that it had opened when it happened but my attention was more on getting out of traffic where I could close it again so perhaps there were the warnings.

I had discussed the opening with the Service Advisor at our dealer and he recommened a new leather key case for the "Key" that covers the buttons such that they should not be succeptable to accidental opening. You can see the case here: http://raccoglitorebmw.altervista.or...8981130112.pdf

This will show the variety of accent colors it is available in but you will have to search for:

Accessori Original BMW Astuccio portachiavi Lines and click translate to be able to read the description..... Unless you can read the original!

But my concern is that the cover will only prevent or reduce the accidental pressing of the button when the key is in my pocket or my wife's purse. I am very concerned about the tailgate opening during driving if we might have our dogs with us or something fall out the back and be damaged or perhaps cause an accident.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
My tailgate stopped opening randomly when I moved the key from my pants pocket to my coat pocket. Now that warmer weather is here, and I don't wear a coat every day, I remove the key from my pocket as soon as I get home.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: '12 x3 35i
this morning i parked my x3 outside my office, opened the tailgate to get my briefcase, and pressed the close-and-lock button. i walked away without watching, but noted the beep signalling the doors were locked before i entered the building. when i went outside after work, the tailgate was wide open. this is the second time this has happened.

i had my comfort access key in my pocket as i always have.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff View Post
this morning i parked my x3 outside my office, opened the tailgate to get my briefcase, and pressed the close-and-lock button. i walked away without watching, but noted the beep signalling the doors were locked before i entered the building. when i went outside after work, the tailgate was wide open. this is the second time this has happened.

Sounds to me like it is getting bumped in your pocket and causing it to open just like everyone else.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Go Longhorns

Mein Auto: 2000 MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff View Post

We have had issues with our X3. The dealer is replacing a faulty button that they believe was causing random behavior like comfort access opening the trunk and the lock/close button causing the pop back open thing. Another board had an SB for electronics issues. Hopefully, the dealer did not need to do a software update to our car (ie we'll take it home and it won't actually be fixt).

Our X3 is at the body on BMW's dime, right now. The trunk popped while in the garage and did not enjoy having the garage door opened. We are having to get a new garage door so keep an eye on things.

2000 MCoupe - Cosmos/Kyalami
Remus Exhaust, ECIS CAI, M50 Manifold, Conforti, UUC UDP, FDK, H&Rs w/Bilsteins
Strong Strut CL, Bushing Stuffers, PowerSlot, Axxiss Ultimate, Stainless Lines

...and the wife's 2012 X3.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to capnmorganxx
Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i F25 MSport
My '12 X3 did the same thing. When you would unlock the car through the CAS or keyfob, the trunk would pop open. Very inconvenient.

Turned out the rear tailgate button was installed incorrectly from the factory and had to be placed. Works great now. They had to order the right parts in though.