Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08' 528i, 89 325i
Transition lenses, and night time driving?

I probably should have posted this sooner, but oh well. Have an eye exam tomorrow evening, but had a question about transitions lenses. Anyone have them?

When driving at night, do you notice any darkening effect when a passing-by car's headlights are beaming you in the eyes? Or does the darkening effect take longer?

I actually have pretty good vision (I guess we'll see tomorrow...,) but I have some FSA money I need to burn by the end of the year, so I'm hoping to get a couple pair of glasses. Probably won't be wearing any clear-lens glasses by day, but was curious about how the transitions lenses act at night. Thanks 'festers!
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
I don't have them but my understanding is the lenses react to UV light of which the bulk of it is blocked by the glass in your car. In fact, for transitions lenses to work in cars you need to get a special type of transition lenses designed just for auto use.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
You mean transition glasses? Does not have any effect on my night driving. In fact, the lenses barely change shade when inside the car even on sunny days.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
I probably should have posted this sooner, but oh well. Have an eye exam tomorrow evening, but had a question about transitions lenses. Anyone have them?

When driving at night, do you notice any darkening effect when a passing-by car's headlights are beaming you in the eyes? Or does the darkening effect take longer?

I actually have pretty good vision (I guess we'll see tomorrow...,) but I have some FSA money I need to burn by the end of the year, so I'm hoping to get a couple pair of glasses. Probably won't be wearing any clear-lens glasses by day, but was curious about how the transitions lenses act at night. Thanks 'festers!
My night vision has always been lousy, and is getting worse. Transition lenses help a little, but not a whole lot. You may have to ease up a little if you don't want to drive into other vehicles.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
You may have to ease up a little if you don't want to drive into other vehicles.
Never, we keep the pedal to the metal!

Really, this is a superficial want- I skeptical that I'll even need glasses, I'm just trying to take advantage of some basically free money before I lose it at the new year. The thought of the transition-lens glasses just popped in my head one day, so I wondered how it would act with headlights while driving. Makes sense though why it wouldn't work. I'll have to ask the folks at the office if they have anything for auto use.

I appreciate the responses so far, thanks guys!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Transition lenses get the tint effect due to a certain spectrum of UV rays when you are outside. If you went somewhere with blacklight they wouldn't change! The same goes when you are driving, since glass has to filter out UV rays the lenses won't shift into a tinted state, PERIOD.

However the tint is affected by temperatures, the colder it is the longer it will take to change states (a minute or so versus a few seconds).

One thing I suggest you do get with your new glasses is the top of the line anti-reflective coatings. My last pair of glasses had this coating and it was amazing with the difference it made during driving at night and as well how the lenses held up. As well I got the polycarbonate lenses too which were a good choice! I got hit in the face with a metal rod from a garage door opener (the part that attaches the door to the motor) and my lens didn't have a scratch on it! It held up like a champ!

I believe the name of the coating on my glasses is Cryzial Alize or something like that.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Yup, I have them and they do not change from light - only direct sunlight/UV. Even in the car during the day, they don't change. Got my lenses at Costco. Unbelievable price difference.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Ahh! Summer Weather!!

Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Costco is terrific for salmon, wine, eyeglasses and car door dings.

Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-06/02/2014: 9 great years on Bimmerfest!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
Costco is terrific for salmon, wine, eyeglasses and car door dings.
True, great salmon too. I haven't tried the door dings yet though.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Ahh! Summer Weather!!

Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
True, great salmon too. I haven't tried the door dings yet though.
Surprised they don't have a paintless dent repair concession right in the parking lot.

Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-06/02/2014: 9 great years on Bimmerfest!!!

Last edited by hpowders; 12-29-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
actually the standard Transitions don't get that dark even in full sunlight

they now have Driver Transitions for driving enthusiasts that turn darker

I bought a new set of glasses last month, they come with a magnetic clip-on tinted sunglass lenses. I ordered the main lenses with Transitions, which I wear full time. If it is super bright or my eyes are sensitive then I will clip on the tinted sunglass frame over the Transition lenses. I never notice the Transition lenses themselves being darker, whether in bright sunlight, driving at night, or in a brightly lit area. They are very subtle, but do help in bright light conditions. I was surprised a time or two to have taken them off indoors and they were darkened.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Last edited by TeamM3; 12-31-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 PM

A quick update. So my wife who complains about her vision, seemed to check out fine, and was told she didn't need glasses. Myself on the other hand, was told that I'm slightly far sighted, with a slight astigmatism. Although I know my eyes aren't as sharp as they have been, I was surprised that I "needed" glasses. I probably won't wear them full time, but was told that they would help with reading and avoiding a fatigued feeling due to changing focusing etc. (At least that's how I understood it... ) Anyway, after an obscene amount of money (thanks employer, and your generous FSA incentive...) got a pair of prescription clear and prescription sunglasses. I now look mad cool. (And smarter too my wife says!)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

I rarely wear my glasses and wear contacts (daily disposables) 95% of the time. But I do think I look smarter with my glasses. Of course, that wouldn't take much.