Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-29-2011, 03:25 PM
ZHPper

Mein Auto: 330ciZHP Mini Clubman VUE
Interstate batteries...

Interstate battery for 04 330ci ZHP? Anybody reccommend this item and what did you pay?
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
330ci uses a 94R-sized battery. I don't have an Interstate battery - I got a battery from Walmart for $75, although the price is bit higher now, but it was IDENTICAL to my OE battery.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM
ZHPper

Mein Auto: 330ciZHP Mini Clubman VUE
Interstate lists a 94R for $169...cheaper than the stealer. That's installed at Firestone, so if they don't screw the computer probably where I'll go.

Last edited by woody underwood; 12-29-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: more
Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Smiling from gear to gear

Mein Auto: '03 540i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
330ci uses a 94R-sized battery. I don't have an Interstate battery - I got a battery from Walmart for $75, although the price is bit higher now, but it was IDENTICAL to my OE battery.
Serious question here, how are they identical other than size, shape, and ca/cca?

P.S. OP, the three years I worked at Carquest I rarely heard bad things about Interstate batteries, and customers generally preferred them over Carquest's batteries. Hope that helps.

Last edited by LaCrosse540i6; 12-29-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330 convertible
I replaced the oem battery on my 330 vert in 08 shortly after purchase with an Interstate battery. It has been fine for three years. I can't remember the cost, but it was expensive.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCrosse540i6 View Post
Serious question here, how are they identical other than size, shape, and ca/cca?

P.S. OP, the three years I worked at Carquest I rarely heard bad things about Interstate batteries, and customers generally preferred them over Carquest's batteries. Hope that helps.
The case was the exact same down to every little detail, including being white. The only difference was the stickers on the case, since it was an Exide branded for sale at Walmart. I know those stickers didn't cost any horsepower.

In all seriousness, the E46's charging system (unlike some new BMWs) isn't smart enough to care what kind of battery is in the car. If its the same size, shape and ca/caa, what else matters? Its not the like the tires that require ZHP air.

As for people being satisfied, I don't place much much faith in that. As long as the car starts, people will be satisfied with the battery. I've bought my share of batteries over the years, and never had any issues. Any problem I ever had was traced to the alternator or something else.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
If its the same size, shape and ca/caa, what else matters? Its not the like the tires that require ZHP air.
Well, not all batteries are created equal; what might matter is battery composition.

I gave up on flooded wet-cell/lead acid batteries a few years ago. Valve regulated/absorbed glass mat is a better technology. Late E46 'verts were supplied with AGM batteries from the factory. They hold a charge far longer and are resistant to plate sulfating. My car sat for almost a year when I lived in Europe; it started the first crank when I returned. No way a lead acid battery is going to tolerate that; you might get 90 days out of one before it discharges.

They also put out more CCA in the same footprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Well, not all batteries are created equal; what might matter is battery composition.

I gave up on flooded wet-cell/lead acid batteries a few years ago. Valve regulated/absorbed glass mat is a better technology. Late E46 'verts were supplied with AGM batteries from the factory. They hold a charge far longer and are resistant to plate sulfating. My car sat for almost a year when I lived in Europe; it started the first crank when I returned. No way a lead acid battery is going to tolerate that; you might get 90 days out of one before it discharges.

They also put out more CCA in the same footprint.
I meant more between different brands of battery, not different types. I do realize that AGM are better. Whether that's necessary for most people is a different issue. While in the past my car sat as long as 5 months between starts, now I disconnect the battery if I'm going to not drive it for more than a week.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Smiling from gear to gear

Mein Auto: '03 540i M-sport
Quote:
The case was the exact same down to every little detail, including being white. The only difference was the stickers on the case, since it was an Exide branded for sale at Walmart. I know those stickers didn't cost any horsepower.

In all seriousness, the E46's charging system (unlike some new BMWs) isn't smart enough to care what kind of battery is in the car. If its the same size, shape and ca/caa, what else matters? Its not the like the tires that require ZHP air.

As for people being satisfied, I don't place much much faith in that. As long as the car starts, people will be satisfied with the battery. I've bought my share of batteries over the years, and never had any issues. Any problem I ever had was traced to the alternator or something else.
There are plenty of battery manufacturers (including Interstate) that make batteries in OEM fitment, but I wouldn't say that they are "IDENTICAL", and all are certainly not equal in quality.

Why wouldn't you put faith in customer satisfaction? I mean, you're satisfied with your Everstart right? I would put more faith in satisfaction than in dissatisfaction. After all, people are more likely to complain about a product than to say they are satisfied if it is working well.

The OP asked about Interstate batteries and I gave what I thought was valid input. FWIW a local shop (our biggest customer) swore by Interstate batteries and bought them almost exclusively for customer cars, only buying Carquest or other MFR's when Interstate wasn't available. I would think that someone who installs a dozen+ batteries a week would have a clue as to which battery MFR works well.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCrosse540i6 View Post
There are plenty of battery manufacturers (including Interstate) that make batteries in OEM fitment, but I wouldn't say that they are "IDENTICAL", and all are certainly not equal in quality.

Why wouldn't you put faith in customer satisfaction? I mean, you're satisfied with your Everstart right? I would put more faith in satisfaction than in dissatisfaction. After all, people are more likely to complain about a product than to say they are satisfied if it is working well.

The OP asked about Interstate batteries and I gave what I thought was valid input. FWIW a local shop (our biggest customer) swore by Interstate batteries and bought them almost exclusively for customer cars, only buying Carquest or other MFR's when Interstate wasn't available. I would think that someone who installs a dozen+ batteries a week would have a clue as to which battery MFR works well.
Why don't I put faith in customer satisfaction? Because I can find plenty of people that swear Chevrolet (or Ford or whomever) build great cars and everything else is junk. It takes more data to prove to me someone is better.

When I say my Everstart battery (Walmart rebranding of an Exide) is visually identical to the battery that was in the car when I picked it up in Germany, I mean that as far as I could tell both battery cases came out of the same mold - every detail, from the handles to the indentations, were the same, even down to it being white. Mind you, not all Everstart 94R batteries are visually identical - the ones currently on the shelf at my local walmart at black and have different shaped handles.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:

When I say my Everstart battery (Walmart rebranding of an Exide) is visually identical to the battery that was in the car when I picked it up in Germany, I mean that as far as I could tell both battery cases came out of the same mold - every detail, from the handles to the indentations, were the same, even down to it being white. Mind you, not all Everstart 94R batteries are visually identical - the ones currently on the shelf at my local walmart at black and have different shaped handles.
OEM "white case" BMW batteries were made by Douglas. Douglas was bought by Exide several years ago. Exide no longer use white cases, they're black.

The odds are it is the same battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Retired USAF MSgt

Send a message via MSN to RivMcLean
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci, 87 Toyota PU
Batteries are a crap shoot plain and simple. I had interstate for many years and they always worked well. I needed a replacement battery when I moved and could not find a Interstate supplier (yep before the internet) so I bought a die hard. It lasted only 4 years and because I had the warranty, they prorated it. I just replaced that battery which lasted 11 years. I KNOW! So in all your of your research, spin the wheel, you really don't know how long it will last, anything longer than expected is a bonus.
Moreno Valley, CA
Old 12-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
I put in a Walmart battery this summer to replace my original battery. The size and shape was exactly the same. If I remember correctly, after returning the old battery, total cost was $104. The guy on the phone said they had "just" gone up.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"